Efco 152 long term test

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The airflow path on an Efco is not obvious at first glance.

Air enters through the starter housing (similar to a Husky, I think -- never having owned a Husky :dizzy:), travels through the carb area, and upward through the filter. The filtered air makes a 180 turn into the carb boot.

The green arrows show the path.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Hope it makes better sense now.

Took a look at my 5720 Cub Cadet (Efco ), has the same filter as yours and the same amount of fine dust. If you had taken the picture from the other side I might not been so confused. Looks like it leaks where the filter sits in the cover, not a good design. Might need some silcone where the filter meets the cover. Steve

Looks like it leaks where the filter sits in the cover, not a good design. Might need some silcone where the filter meets the cover. Steve
The filter gasket and other sealing surfaces had a generous bead of grease, so it was not leaking there.

The picture shows that the fine dust was actually penetrating the mesh of the filter. The dust you see on top of the filter is sorta stuck in the mesh, but it should never have even gotten that far. There should be zero dust on the clean side.

I'd like to see someone tear into a 165 and see how its compression ratio and port timing compare to a CS62. The 165 would probably respond well to a woods port.

Going to do a couple for competitons next year. Can't be an Efco dealer and race a Stihl. Probably build a 152, 165 and 181 on pipe.

Would a 62 work on the long stroke 165?

Would a 62 work on the long stroke 165?
Dunno, why don't you tear into a 165 and let us know what you find ? :laugh:

Both have a 48mm bore.

CS62: 34mm stroke, 4.7 HP, 13,500 WOT. :)

165: 35mm stroke, 4.35 HP, 12,500 WOT :mad:

If you believe the specs, something has been effed up on the 165.

Limited carb ?

Limited coil ? I don't think so.

Lower compression ratio ?

More conservative porting ? That would be easy to fix. :D

Dunno, why don't you tear into a 165 and let us know what you find ? :laugh:

Both have a 48mm bore.

CS62: 34mm stroke, 4.7 HP, 13,500 WOT. :)

165: 35mm stroke, 4.35 HP, 12,500 WOT :mad:

If you believe the specs, something has been effed up on the 165.

Limited carb ?

Limited coil ? I don't think so.

Lower compression ratio ?

More conservative porting ? That would be easy to fix. :D

Been running my 165 at 13,500 rpm. Tech sheet says 13,000 +/- 500 rpm.

I guess I will have to get inside my 165. Been keeping it stock as I use it for a demo saw.

If I let a prospective buyer demo a ported 165, I think that he would be somewhat disappointed when he runs his new stock 165. :cry:

How can you even bring yourself to run the efco after running the 260!

I'm glad that this guy was ignored. Good thread going here.

I talked 2 of my neighbors into getting those JD saws when they were clearing them out on E-bay a few years ago. The one guy got a 62, the other bought a 46, then his son in law bought a 56 after he cut with my neighbors 46. I have been thanked many times over for finding them there saws. My boss got a Cub version of the 56. It came with a 20'' bar and 3/8's. He has nothing but good things to say about it. I will tell them to keep an eye out on that filter issue.

I had a Cub 39cc Efco saw that I sold after I got my Ryobi. I would have liked to seen a comparison of similar sized saws. May be an Echo, Ryobi Stihl Efco thing. That Cub was a real nice little saw, and the guy who bought it still uses it in his landscape business for cutting down hedges.

I was laughed out of a thread once for recomending one of the 39cc Effy's to a newby here who was looking for a good yard clean-up saw. Some blowhard, ( may be that guy ), insisted that they were Chinese junk because they were sold at Northern tool.

I've run Oly's for a while. I have 2 945's, a 950 (at camp), a 264f, (Olympics best saw), a 264 Deluxe, a 272, 284, and a newly aquired 999f that I haven't even cut with yet. I have a NIB JD cs81 that I'm going to sell since I bought the 999. I also have a 234 project on the bench.

Can't wait to run it, (THE 999). I've come across some nice saws of late, but I can't find any wood to cut.

I'll be looking for some big bars for that one too. It only came with a 20''. Does anyoneone know the bar mount pattern and which other saws use that pattern of bar. Its a bigger bar mount than the 284 and 272. They both use the same bar as the midsized Homelites.

I just bought my first saw and my local dealer talked me into the Efco 152 over a J-Red. He's been selling them for years and has had no complaints. Plus, my old man has had 2 for 5+ years with good luck so far cutting 10-12 cord a year.

Update on the CS62 air filter.

I retired the nylon mesh filter and will use a flocked filter from here on out. Problem is, the only spare flocked filter I have on hand is an old, use POS. Much of the flocking is worn off and it has a few pinholes. Nonetheless, I gave it a whirl.

Here's the dirty side of the flocked filter. This side is SUPPOSED to be dirty. In case you are wondering, the orange stuff is silicone used to patch pinholes.
attachment.php

Here is the clean side. No sawdust. :clap: In case you are wondering, the brown stains are just that -- brown stains. The stains were there when I acquired the used filter.
attachment.php

Next time I place an order from Bailey's, I'll get a new flocked filter to replace this POS. It looks like the flocked filter is the way to go.

That's the one I was planning to order. It says it fits the 980, and the 980 uses the same size filter as the CS62..... and the 56cc saws are supposedly the same as the 62cc saws, except for the P&C.

BTW, I was cleaning the 980's filter this morning, blowing the dust out with compressed air, and the compressed air damaged some of the media, opening up a few pinholes. Darned fragile things.

I guess the correct cleaning procedure would be to wash in your favorite solvent, or even hot soapy water, and hang up to dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibes
Turk. Are you from up around Jackson Center?

Sure am. Actually my old man is, I live around the erie area, but I bought my saw in Jackson Center

Good guys those Montgomery's are. A little dry in the personality dept. but they know the business. I get Red Max parts through them even though they don't sell the saws, just weedwackers and blowers. They're a good source for Total bars if you don't mind them saying Jonsered on em. My good friend lives just down the road from there.

As far as cleaning filters goes, I've always just soaked them in Dawn dishwashing liquid and gently scrubbed off the crud with a fingernail. I ruined a hard to get filter with air once

Got the 152 back. I loaned it to a construction company that was cutting over a house lot. Their 260 died so I sent the Efco over. It is at 173 tanks now. They brought it back and bought a new one. Owner liked it I guess.

Brought my CS56 to the IL-IN-MI-WI GTG. A few people ran it. Everybody that ran it said its better than they thought it would be. I have a few worries as to where Emak is going as a company, if they are willing to stick with quality and be down the sales list or try to earn market share by selling cheap junk. Time will tell I guess. The present products speak very well for themselves, I think. People need to let them speak.

Latest posts

Back