Eggs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when i give yard eggs to friends, i tell them... these are for over n easy! u want scrambled, buy them at the grocery. i have an OXO pan for eggs. finally, after 3 BS ads on tv for best egg pan, coated... i went with the one that America's Test Kitchen picked as the winner in their fry pan shootout! release-ability was a buying decision motivator. best pans ever!! and nothing ever... ever gets cooked in my big one other than eggs. and they get cooked low and slow, and in butter only!!! 👍
Do you know what model number the pan was? Heck do they even have model numbers??????

I've got a dilemma. Red tail nailed one of my adult hens the other day. I've had hawks and eagles in this area on a regular basis, even nesting near by in the woods, and never had an issue in all these years of raising chickens. Now red is stalking my birds. I've got them locked down in the coop, which they are not accustomed to and do not like. I had my 10-22 out today dispatching a ground hog when Red did a low fly by. I'd be lying if I said the thought didn't cross my mind. Yeah, I know....
I have a feeling this is gonna be a rough go.
I hear they taste like chicken.....

Yes indeed. You just need to show them who is the boss man. :D When we had a rough ole rooster my wife would tell me to "take that thing for a ride" I would take him to a remote field we had. It had a drainage ditch for water with plenty of grass and trees for food/cover. I figured I was at least giving the ole boy a fighting chance.

I will say I have considered geese but my late father would tell me stories of geese attacking him and I do not move very fast anymore. I will not quite say I fear them, I am hesitant though.
One of my roosters doesn't know when to quit. I have knocked him so silly he spins on the ground like the three stooges then gets up and comes back for more. The best way I have found to keep them away is shooting with a squirt gun. For some reason they hate that and run away. He will stand in the rain all day but I shoot him with the squirt gun and he runs off. Go figure.

One of my roosters doesn't know when to quit. I have knocked him so silly he spins on the ground like the three stooges then gets up and comes back for more. The best way I have found to keep them away is shooting with a squirt gun. For some reason they hate that and run away. He will stand in the rain all day but I shoot him with the squirt gun and he runs off. Go figure.
When I was a kid we had a nasty rooster. He'd come out of nowhere and git ya. I saw him coming one day and picked up a handy tomato stake and wacked him. He ran off to the barn. Next day dad said he found the old rooster dead behind the barn. I never told him what happened cause I thought I'd get my butt beat. I told him a few years ago and we had a good laugh.

After following along for a while, and reading about the feed versus egg production problem, I decided to switch brands of scratch and crumbles.

There is an outfit called Woods Hay and Grain in Ponderay that produces and packages their own brand of each feed.

After I started feeding the new feed our egg production increased.

Will have to watch it for a while to see if it is a result of feed or weather

My girls kicked up production the week after the time change.
They spend the majority of their time outdoors if there isn't snow on the ground. Their biological clock has them headed for the safety of the coop which has a door with a timer that closes at dusk, which they never miss. In the winter months that can be as early as 5-530PM. I am a firm believer that the amount of daylight has as much to do with it as anything.

Depending on how many birds you have, a chicken tractor lets them free range while staying protected.
We have a few hawks around here, all I have to do to scare them off is let the dog out of the house. Really I should get a guinea bird or two, but they annoy me to no end. Well them.and peacocks. Plan is once we get the shop up, and the wood shed comes down, to move the coop over to the wood shed area and fence in a big run. Wife found these Fibre glass poles for making temporary shelters. Figured I'd cover them with deer mesh and life will be good.

Story about Peacocks:

A neighbor about 4 miles west of us has many Peacocks.

One day we were working in the lower pasture and a big flock of wild turkey hens, (about 35 to 40) came out of the woods. They had a peacock with them and when we moved toward them they swarmed around that critter and started moving it away from us.

We saw it quite a few times over the next few weeks and they were always protective of it. I imagine somewhere along the line a coyote or cat got it as it disappeared.

Just thought it was strange behavior, they acted like they really had a prize.

I'm kinda surprised the peacock didn't kick the crap out of a coyote. They are pretty mean, least the ones my wife's grandparents had on the ranch were just nasty aggressive things.

When I was a kid we had a nasty rooster. He'd come out of nowhere and git ya. I saw him coming one day and picked up a handy tomato stake and wacked him. He ran off to the barn. Next day dad said he found the old rooster dead behind the barn. I never told him what happened cause I thought I'd get my butt beat. I told him a few years ago and we had a good laugh.
I bet we all have had some similar experiences. I was running the field cultivator in a small field that bordered a lane that the neighbors use to access their rented ground. The line fence was 100% ours and the lane was plenty wide for the neighbor (and good friend to use). Well I was a typical kid going to fast and not paying attention while trying to finish ahead of the planter. I hooked our good solid 47" fence and tore a hole in it. My father saw it and went ballistic thinking the neighbor did it while going down the lane. Sadly I am not sure if I ever told him before he passed but the neighbor and I laughed about it years down the road.

My girls kicked up production the week after the time change.
They spend the majority of their time outdoors if there isn't snow on the ground. Their biological clock has them headed for the safety of the coop which has a door with a timer that closes at dusk, which they never miss. In the winter months that can be as early as 5-530PM. I am a firm believer that the amount of daylight has as much to do with it as anything.
It does, that is why commercial buildings are lit 24/7

We have a few hawks around here, all I have to do to scare them off is let the dog out of the house. Really I should get a guinea bird or two, but they annoy me to no end. Well them.and peacocks. Plan is once we get the shop up, and the wood shed comes down, to move the coop over to the wood shed area and fence in a big run. Wife found these Fibre glass poles for making temporary shelters. Figured I'd cover them with deer mesh and life will be good.
My cousin used to have peacocks, pooped all over and noisy. My wife got some adult guinea fowl and the coyotes got them all in the first week. Gosh darn yotes

When I hear them carrying on I can believe the terrible noises they make.
The goofy guinea will deafen a deaf man. My brother has some and I cannot stand the noise when I go over there. I grew up hearing the 24/7 sound of hog feeder lids clanging but those noisy birds are hard to listen to.

Back