Eggs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4 baby chicks have just hatched will get cute photo when mum allows it
a Fox in paddock 6am today our near neighbors had 10 chickens taken one day last week
Do you folks have a hunting and trapping season on Fox. Ours is in full swing now but sadly the Coyotes have killed all the Fox

Do you folks have a hunting and trapping season on Fox. Ours is in full swing now but sadly the Coyotes have killed all the Fox
Back in about the early 80's I was getting $30-$40 for fox skins was good money for a 13 year kid. I don't even know if they still buy skins down here anymore is probably banned.

In my area fox management is complex as semi rural smaller acreage. The effort to trap shoot or other is time consuming, eg sitting in paddock with fox whistle & night vision scope plus if you remove a fox its soon replaced by another fox and your rabbit population spikes. Over time i found best means is to fox proof the chook pens and if chooks free ranged ensure locked away each afternoon. This time of year mr fox is feeding cubs so gets bold stalking during daylite so we tend to leave chooks in secure larger pens.

thumbnail_IMG_2321.jpg

Foxes are the least of ya worries. A pen must be Quoll proof! If not ya will wake to not a single bird left alive!. They are protected but not a problem if ya pen is Quoll proof and they only hunt at night I've never seen one in the daytime personally.
I've got Tiger Quoll here some nights they wake me up banging and clanging on the roof they hunt the Ringtail Possum's in the Gums here.

images - 2023-11-21T203949.558.jpeg

In my area fox management is complex as semi rural smaller acreage. The effort to trap shoot or other is time consuming, eg sitting in paddock with fox whistle & night vision scope plus if you remove a fox its soon replaced by another fox and your rabbit population spikes. Over time i found best means is to fox proof the chook pens and if chooks free ranged ensure locked away each afternoon. This time of year mr fox is feeding cubs so gets bold stalking during daylite so we tend to leave chooks in secure larger pens.

View attachment 1129421

Foxes are dumb at night easy to cull ya don't need night vision all ya need is a spotlight.. Call em up wait 5-10 min and flick the spotlight on goodnight fox.
This is the best call I've ever used they come running from all directions they can't resist it.

images - 2023-11-21T211432.075.jpeg

It is interesting to hear of the different predator issue we all face. What is not a problem for one person is a huge problem for others. My neighbor would kill every possum he found but feed coons. I just shook my head.

Getting 2 or three eggs a day now. Only three hens are of laying age. They are black copper marans. I have 4 arucanas, (sp?), that should start laying soon, they are 18wks old. I also have one white leghorn of unknow age, but not old enough to lay. I am having a heck of a time getting them to roost where they are supposed to. They all prefer to roost in the nest boxes. I go down to their coop right before dark and gather eggs and coverup the nest boxes so they cant get in them. Then I have to go uncover the nests early in the morning I Have placed the birds on their roost post several times thinking they might start using it, but they just jump down and roost on top of the nest boxes instead. Any one got any suggestions?

My broilers leave tomorrow evening. All 42,000 of them lol. Baby chicks will be back in 14-16 days and it all begins again !!

A good buddy near me started with laying hens recently and his 30 hens are laying 24+ eggs a day. I pay his kids for the eggs and mama and I have been eating like royalty lately lol. Gosh I love eggs!!

My broilers leave tomorrow evening. All 42,000 of them lol. Baby chicks will be back in 14-16 days and it all begins again !!

A good buddy near me started with laying hens recently and his 30 hens are laying 24+ eggs a day. I pay his kids for the eggs and mama and I have been eating like royalty lately lol. Gosh I love eggs!!
I assume all 42,000 must be loaded by hand.

I assume all 42,000 must be loaded by hand.
You assume correctly. These broilers are going to be sold as legs, breasts, thighs etc so they need to be general when handling them. A crew of 8 comes in and loads them by hand into 4x4x1' trays with 20ish in each tray and 8 trays to a pallet. Loaded with neat lo-pro forklifts onto semi trailers and taken to the processing plant. The live haul crew is onsite for 5ish hours and they're off to the next barn. It's quite something to see !

Tomorrow we'll clean the barn out. Pressure wash all the fans, heaters and first 40' of the waterlines. Feed system gets a thorough once over, I need to replace a few bearings each flock it seems. Manure gets cleaned (clean manure right lol) and the good bedding gets left in the barn. Fresh shavings will likely be here late this week and I'll be preheating the barn back to 97f by end of next week.

More than you asked for lol

Back