Eggs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have heard of them, but thats all I know. I guess it depends on what your goals are. I used to raise rare breeds several years back and I found it cost as much to raise a yardbird as it does a show stopper. The main difference between the birds is selling price. Rare breeds demand a big price and are easy to sell. The problem with rare birds are the breeders. Lots of folks will buy a clutch of rare birds and puppy mill them. Hatching every egg the hens lay with zero attention to breeding quality or defects. Buying live chicks thru the mail is a big risk and buying hatching eggs can be even worse. I was shipping eggs all over the country and know first hand how the postoffice handles eggs thru the mail. When you take a well packed box of eggs to mail, even with fragil, live embryos,, donot drop, and all kinds of warning lables, and watch the postman turn and toss that package across the room into the mail bin, you will know what I mean.. I found I had better luck mailing eggs with no handleing lables at all. I also have my opinions on eating birds and meat flavor. They are what they eat. I can even taste the difference in egg taste simply by changing feed..

Sounds like it is time to shoot the fox.
spoke of this here before while doable its not practical to shoot mr fox on my lands they soon replace themselves. its better easier to find destroy the dens i typically use bait or seal & pipe down car exhausts or set trap.

I sat 2 -3 am watching with 22mag rifle nite scope its a pain and waste vs gain.

spoke of this here before while doable its not practical to shoot mr fox on my lands they soon replace themselves. its better easier to find destroy the dens i typically use bait or seal & pipe down car exhausts or set trap.

I sat 2 -3 am watching with 22mag rifle nite scope its a pain and waste vs gain.
A properly placed snare does well also.

I need to set one here I think. Saw a mini weasel the other day.

Guess it's called an ermine.

All white with a black tip.​

Trapped several here after they killed 30 hens! Thats the main reason we quit chickens here!
with eyes full of grandeur... 😋 i never got started. everyone i met or knew with chickens/coops etc... all had sad tales of woe, trying to keep chickens safe. we have friends here in town, live on 1 ac. got chickens, constant battle...

Maggie chased a fox out of the yard last night.

She has a mean streak in her I think, she would probably kill it if she caught it.

But still a weasel.....
The only good weasel is a dead weasel.
I see you’re from Ohio. Every year we visit in western Ohio doing the 127 yard sale. There are some mink farms along that route. A few years ago we were told some activists freed several hundred minks from their cages. I never heard how much damage they did. I just wonder if or how much poultry was killed.

I see you’re from Ohio. Every year we visit in western Ohio doing the 127 yard sale. There are some mink farms along that route. A few years ago we were told some activists freed several hundred minks from their cages. I never heard how much damage they did. I just wonder if or how much poultry was killed.
The Van Wert farm claimed 10,000 released. Most were captured/euthanized as they did not stray from the farm. The PETA lites thought they were doing the minks a favor, little did they understand the minks are born and raised in captivity and have almost no survival skills being fed and cared for all their lives. Might as well be releasing a pet ferret in the wild and expect it to survive. There was nothing ethical about what they did.

Ironically my flock got nailed by a mink within a week of that incident. But I am on the other end of the state. Extreme NE County - my home is less than 5 miles from OH/PA border. Not far from you. I used to take my boys to Mines and Meadows at least once a year.

The Van Wert farm claimed 10,000 released. Most were captured/euthanized as they did not stray from the farm. The PETA lites thought they were doing the minks a favor, little did they understand the minks are born and raised in captivity and have almost no survival skills being fed and cared for all their lives. Might as well be releasing a pet ferret in the wild and expect it to survive. There was nothing ethical about what they did.

Ironically my flock got nailed by a mink within a week of that incident. But I am on the other end of the state. Extreme NE County - my home is less than 5 miles from OH/PA border. Not far from you. I used to take my boys to Mines and Meadows at least once a year.
Thanks for the reply. I agree on the ethical part. You are pretty close to me we live 8 miles from East Palestine and my eastern property line borders mines and meadows. The man that owned the mines part was a friend of ours he just passed away a few days ago. Next time you go there one of my best friends grooms the trails with a track loader. He was my best man when the wife and I got married. His name is Cal tell him Dave said to say hi. Be careful though he may talk your leg off.

Thanks for the reply. I agree on the ethical part. You are pretty close to me we live 8 miles from East Palestine and my eastern property line borders mines and meadows. The man that owned the mines part was a friend of ours he just passed away a few days ago. Next time you go there one of my best friends grooms the trails with a track loader. He was my best man when the wife and I got married. His name is Cal tell him Dave said to say hi. Be careful though he may talk your leg off.
Sorry for the loss of your friend. I have seen the track loaders back in the woods. Do you know the older gentleman that was doing the mine tours 3-4 years ago? Real likeable guy. Definitely liked to talk. That would have been the last time I was there, Boys off in the military which makes us empty nesters. They still talk about going and would like to go back when they are home. Time frame never seems to work out. Such is life.

You got off lucky.....
Hopefully you got em locked up tight. He'll be sure to be back.
He came back, and I got him. I was out cleaning up after the storm and heard them freaking out, I knew he was hiding under the coop.

I ran into the coop and he was on the rooster. Managed to grab him by hand and choke him out, a whack to the head and his killing days were done.

Now to find a taxidermist.
20240111_131550.jpg

Latest posts

Back