Eggs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My broilers leave tomorrow evening. All 42,000 of them lol. Baby chicks will be back in 14-16 days and it all begins again !!

A good buddy near me started with laying hens recently and his 30 hens are laying 24+ eggs a day. I pay his kids for the eggs and mama and I have been eating like royalty lately lol. Gosh I love eggs!!
that sure is a lot of fried chicken! can't imagine what that many birds look like. not being one to raise chickens, i found the My Farm tv show on tonie interesting. new chicks for pick up down at the post office. 6. showed the new arrival set up, water, chick food, chick dirt, containers, toys. etc. sometime just eggs, sometimes chicks. interesting to me, the momma chicken don't really care about eggs, time, etc. just wants chicks. so faux eggs placed in nest, she sits on them, USPS delivers, they age and in with momma they go. if all goes well, then momma happy and so are the chicks!

yard eggs for me. one brunch other day, fresh yards eggs on TGD dinner mashed spuds made into fried fritters. imo, it's all about the yolk! these eggs so tasty, even the whites have flavor!
P1010001.JPG

yard eggs for me. one brunch other day, fresh yards eggs on TGD dinner mashed spuds made into fried fritters. imo, it's all about the yolk! these eggs so tasty, even the whites have flavor!
next day, too! caught this 'end of the meal' shot as i finished up last eggs. stores sell brown eggs, farms and ranches raised them, too. but i never seen yolks like these from brown eggs unless true free-range yard eggs!
P1010002.JPG

sometimes the egg shells are light blue or light green. these from my fav flock...

You assume correctly. These broilers are going to be sold as legs, breasts, thighs etc so they need to be general when handling them. A crew of 8 comes in and loads them by hand into 4x4x1' trays with 20ish in each tray and 8 trays to a pallet. Loaded with neat lo-pro forklifts onto semi trailers and taken to the processing plant. The live haul crew is onsite for 5ish hours and they're off to the next barn. It's quite something to see !

Tomorrow we'll clean the barn out. Pressure wash all the fans, heaters and first 40' of the waterlines. Feed system gets a thorough once over, I need to replace a few bearings each flock it seems. Manure gets cleaned (clean manure right lol) and the good bedding gets left in the barn. Fresh shavings will likely be here late this week and I'll be preheating the barn back to 97f by end of next week.

More than you asked for lol
only 8 workers. wow. busy hands! i did not count how many, but more here than i would care to tend to, other than perhaps when the check changes hands!

1701583663039.png

Getting 2 or three eggs a day now. Only three hens are of laying age. They are black copper marans. I have 4 arucanas, (sp?), that should start laying soon, they are 18wks old. I also have one white leghorn of unknow age, but not old enough to lay. I am having a heck of a time getting them to roost where they are supposed to. They all prefer to roost in the nest boxes. I go down to their coop right before dark and gather eggs and coverup the nest boxes so they cant get in them. Then I have to go uncover the nests early in the morning I Have placed the birds on their roost post several times thinking they might start using it, but they just jump down and roost on top of the nest boxes instead. Any one got any suggestions?

maybe something here:

https://www.istockphoto.com/photos/free-range-chicken
(www.istockphoto.com/photos/free-range-chicken) 18,000 + chick pix, click link ⬆️

probably shopped!

lol j/k 👍
You are giving me to much credit. I have no idea how to use photoshop. The steak had and been cooling while I was doing the eggs but I put it back in for the pic. A woman was texting me while I was cooking and wanted to know what I was doing so I did put the steak back for the pic.

You are giving me to much credit. I have no idea how to use photoshop. The steak had and been cooling while I was doing the eggs but I put it back in for the pic. A woman was texting me while I was cooking and wanted to know what I was doing so I did put the steak back for the pic.
you must be a big eater .... steak n eggs @ 1:35, then again... chicken @ 2:36!
Isn't the Queen of England dead............well come to think of it so is the chicken I am about to eat.

I am thinking about getting some Breese chicks, what I have read about them is they lay about 260 eggs a year. But they claim to be the best tasting chicken in the world. Anyone ever raise these? If you have are the claims correct?

Latest posts

Back