Electric splitters????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loknlod

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Will they do the job or not? I plan on splitting 6 to 10 cords of spruce/birch for home heating each year. I know they will not perform the same as a 22 ton gas powered unit, that isn't the question. I just would like some opinions about your experiences with any and all electric splitters. Your info is appreciated.:cheers:

I am not that familiar with the current line up of electric splitters but....

Quite frankly want to disagree with your statement. As an electric horse has more power than a combustion horse you need less of it to do the same.

The big advantage of a gas powered engine is that you can work anywhere.

Electric would be less loud.

Just look out for a decent brand as i saw a lot of copies in the market lately that will not perform. Looking at cost as an indication i dont expect a good one below 1500 USD (i am looking at european pricing of european brands)

Posh has a nice line up.

:cheers:

I have one of those ryobi 4-tons sold at home depot.

It works fine for what it's advertised to do.

It does have a problem when logs have knots on them.

As far as build and construction it seems to be very sturdy.

Check youtube for some videos of electric splitters.

BTW - I was using a 26 ton gas splitter the weekend prior to buying this tiny electric so it's not like I haven't compared it to a "real" splitter. :)

Last edited:
They may be nice for folks who have a hard time with a maul and wedges, better than not being able to split at all. I wouldn't buy one unless I was not in good shape.

6-10 cords is a lot of wood to split with an electric splitter. I looked at them and decided to bight the bullet and go with a 27 ton gas. Cost me considerably more, but I plan on using it for many years to come. Its an investment, just like the OWB we installed....

:givebeer:

my father in law bought the home depot ryobi ,WHAT A PIECE OF SSSHHHHT
DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY
stick to a half way decent gas jobby and then pass it on to the kids ,my splitter is over 30 years old

Will they do the job or not? I plan on splitting 6 to 10 cords of spruce/birch for home heating each year. I know they will not perform the same as a 22 ton gas powered unit, that isn't the question. I just would like some opinions about your experiences with any and all electric splitters. Your info is appreciated.:cheers:
Take a look at this one. It will run on a 120v electric motor or a gas engine. Interesting, to say the least.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ08TwFPxxM
Not cheap, but nothing innovative is.

Well being from your neck of the woods I can tell you that they will split just about any thing in Alaska. except maybe for some big ugly birch rounds with a lot of knots. The draw back is that they are slow. The one I used had about a 20 sec cycle time. But they are quiet, don't have to maintain another motor or hydraulics and they are smaller to store. Also depending on where you live AIH rents gas splitters for 50 bucks a day. It's alot of rental days for the price of a splitter

I have a DR 6 ton splitter that works very nicely for what my needs are. If I run into a piece that it can't handle then I use my saw, but that's not very often. If you have limited funds like me and you have the time and patience to work on larger pieces then it will work for those also. I built my own table for it and I did buy the tray attachment for it which makes it even easier to use. Those who bash these units are probably used to to their gas powered splitters and wouldn't settle for anything less. But as I said these machines work extremely well in my situation. I split all of this with mine and had no problems. It's mainly maple and oak.

I'd never seen one of those before...that's a real nice machine!! Would love to try one!
So would I. They say the SuperSplit ratings are not comparable to a hydraulic splitter because the impact of the ram adds to its effectiveness, similar to a hand splitting maul.

The science of inertia is in its favor once that flywheel gets going. It reminds me of the old 2-cylinder John Deere A tractors. You tap the flywheel energy like a well and all the motor really does is drive the big flywheel. Then it unleashes the energy onto the log. The quick return mechanism is also a dandy.

As long as there is a working safety device so that the machine doesn't blow itself to pieces, they have a winner. I would worry a little about splitting crotch elm and huge rounds, but that's about it. Shucks, hydraulics bog down on those also.

Then look at its operating cost. Running on a 120 v electric motor, SuperSplit only costs 15 to 20 cents an hour to run--less than a cup of gasoline. Gasp!

Last edited:
Then look at its operating cost. Running on a 120 v electric motor, SuperSplit only costs 15 to 20 cents an hour to run--less than a cup of gasoline. Gasp!

That alone would do it for me...one less gas hungry mouth to feed:clap: :clap: ! I'm surprised I never heard of those before now. I researched far and wide on electric splitters and never came across this one for some reason. I think if I had I would have saved up to get one.

That alone would do it for me...one less gas hungry mouth to feed:clap: :clap: ! I'm surprised I never heard of those before now. I researched far and wide on electric splitters and never came across this one for some reason. I think if I had I would have saved up to get one.

If you want one you pretty much have to buy a new one since owners hold on to them and they last forever. They aren't cheap either, despite how simple they may appear.

I've been looking for a used SS for a very long time now with no luck. I've only seen two used units listed over the last 6 months (within a 150 miles), one gas and one electric, and both were gone within hours. If you want one, you pretty much have to buy a new one...

If you want one you pretty much have to buy a new one since owners hold on to them and they last forever. They aren't cheap either, despite how simple they may appear.

So I see...But to have an electric splitter that runs like that would be ideal. I could run it off my generator if need be:)

So I see...But to have an electric splitter that runs like that would be ideal. I could run it off my generator if need be:)

That's how I see it. I would pretty much only use a splitter at home, but I do have a 7kw generator that could be hooked up to power it in remote locations if need be. I'd prefer to find a used electric model if possible, but I'll gladly take a used gas powered unit if I could get my hands on one... I'm not picky at this point!

BTW, I believe SS splitters are only sold factory direct so finding them outside of New England is really rare because shipping them to the rest of the country is so costly.

BTW, I believe SS splitters are only sold factory direct so finding them outside of New England is really rare because shipping them to the rest of the country is so costly.

was quoted 225 + 38 to package it to ship to cny :jawdrop:

at that price...never mind + the unit 2330.00 base model + the production table 274.00 :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

grand total 2867.00

sweet rig and concept......and if you buy it and pick it up you have the sales tax 5%. 130.20, and gas to get there and back, so it is a wash

Last edited:
Back