Estimating Cords of Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See, aint this fun? I have 13 leafs in the springs (came that way from a concrete co.) That truck has had alot of weight in it. Oh well, IMO that is close if not 2 cord. I will have to measure one day to be exact cause you got me wondering. The wood is stacked in the truck, I was the stacker. However got a little lax-ed in the end.

if it was stacked, i could easily see 2 cord in there. (i'm guessing on the height, but it looks tall...? 6 ft maybe?) anyways if it was stacked clear to the tailgate i could see close 3 cord (7' wide x 9' long x 6' high = 378 cubic feet / 128 cu ft = 2.95 cord) green wood would mean a lot of weight (well seasoned wood for that matter too lol)

Them old chevy's are tough for sure! we have turkey houses and have went through several hauling litter. (12' dump beds)

i'll go ahead and "smear it on a little thicker" blackdogon, and go as far to say that we haul 12,000 lbs of wet litter on them old chevys and do it all day long. We've bent/broke several frames and rear axle tubes.

LTREES, ya better not try to convince blackdogon that you have 2 cords of green wood on that one ton!! heck he wont even believe that i put 1 2/3 cords on mine. :laugh:

Does anyone know of a formula or method used for estimating the amount of chords of firewood in a standing or downed tree?

Thanks
Bob

The University of Wisconsin published a "White Paper" (UW Extension G3332)
that goes into great detail on how to measure trees and tree volume.
(Do a Google search on: "UW Extension g3332" and click on the first hit and you will download a PDF file.
Jim

I've seen 5 ton of stone in the back of a 1 ton a few times. Wouldn't recommend it though.:censored:

I posted that there was not much green on this tree. It was heavy and I went 15 mph for 1 mile to my house, trying not to bottom out. the box is over 6' cause I hate to be hunched over while taking a leak. There is wood stacked above the cab solid. So, for weight it might not have as much water in the wood, not totally dead but not a healthy tree. The total height is 10' 6" and that is the # I keep in my head while driving.

LT...

Back