Ethanol fuel treatment?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not so in most of the midwest, there isn't a pump station within about 100 miles of me. Sure I can get 110 race fuel, but it's too much octane and I didn't care for the lead either.

The whole ethanol issue is over played IMHO. I've been running fuel with ethanol for the last 10+ years and I've yet to have a single issue. Really it comes down to common sense. Store fuel in a stable environment, not the bead of your truck. Keep the fuel fresh, no longer than two months in the winter, one in the summer. Draining the tank and running the engine until it dies is a good idea as well. If you do all the above you shouldn't have any issues for at least 5 years likely longer.

With that said, yes eventually the ethanol will eat at the fuel lines and the carb diaphragm, but so what I change them out more often than that anyway. I also see no benefit to using Seafoam, it's just Pale Oil, Naphtha and isopropyl alcohol, so I see no reason to use it whatsoever.

Agreed on the Seafoam and various additives. The stuff dosn't do anything to abate the real problem.

Not so sure about your issue in cinci and entire midwest though..The Cincinnati Vulcan Co - YP.com

Holler at them, and see if they can't hook you up with a drum. Rec 90 and Rec 91 is conventional unleaded no ethanol that is sold at most Marina Gas docks all over the Midwest, and available as off road fuel through most distributors.
They may not keep a bulk tank, but will be able to deliver drums, and all you have to do is ask if they are willing.
Marathon HQ is in Findlay... it IS available. Just not at every corner Gas station.

I agree on the issue bieng overblown to some degree. Storage is the only issue if the Gas station tanks arent corrupted.
The biggest issue is the Station tanks pumping out a variable amount of water and Ethanol, that WILL, and has caused problems with the pump gas since the switch to corn corrupted Gas.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Agreed on the Seafoam and various additives. The stuff dosn't do anything to abate the real problem.

Not so sure about your issue in cinci and entire midwest though..The Cincinnati Vulcan Co - YP.com

Holler at them, and see if they can't hook you up with a drum. Rec 90 and Rec 91 is conventional unleaded no ethanol that is sold at most Marina Gas docks all over the Midwest, and available as off road fuel through most distributors.
They may not keep a bulk tank, but will be able to deliver drums, and all you have to do is ask if they are willing.
Marathon HQ is in Findlay... it IS available. Just not at every corner Gas station.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Thanks for the tips but I've exhausted all feasible local options. Vulcan only deals with heating oil/gas and Diesel fuels. The local Marina that is all of a mile away from me on the Ohio river, sold non ethanol a year or so ago, they now sell fuel with ethanol and a additive to make it more stable. The station in Findlay is all of five minutes away from Brad, if I remember correctly they only sell an oxygenated fuel that had a short shelf life.:cry: The fuel we have here is the bottom of the bucket if you ask me. I always try to buy fuel at the same station that sells a high volume of fuel, so far so good.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips but I've exhausted all feasible local options. Vulcan only deals with heating oil/gas and Diesel fuels. The local Marina that is all of a mile away from me on the Ohio river, sold non ethanol a year or so ago, they now sell fuel with ethanol and a additive to make it more stable. The station in Findlay is all of five minutes away from Brad, if I remember correctly they only sell a oxygenated fuel that had a short shelf life.:cry: The fuel we have here is the bottom of the bucket if you ask me. I always try to buy fuel at the same station that sells a high volume of fuel, so far so good.

Well crap on a stick!!

There is another Distributor in cinci, and there has gotta be another one that takes care of all the Ag customers further out. One of 'em has got to be able to get you a drum. What are all the Motor heads running in thier hot rods?

I can't believe your local Marina is carrying ethanol fuel. What a bunch of idiots!
Our three Gas docks are all Non ethanol, and two are Rec 91. Folks don't like the idea of getting stranded 10-15 Miles out on the lake and vote with thier wallets. Getting a tank of Bad gas creates ugliness and word spreads fast if one of them is selling #### fuel.
Is there another Marina further out to check?

Crap, the local dirt track here sells Rec.91, and the asphalt track in Kazoo has a VP pump.
Have you called the tracks?

LOL!!
I'd give up too, as the PITA factor would about equal that of rebuilding a saw.

ETA. Supposedly these guys have Ethanol free...same one?
http://www.fishersmarina.net/fishers_marina.php

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Last edited:
That's what it really came down to, it's just not worth the hassle. 110 is available at a local pump, but it's simply not for saws IMHO, I ran some and didn't care for it at all.

Last I heard none of the local marinas sell Eth free fuel, I've even heard they stopped selling to walk ups only boats, I'm not kidding. I called the local drag strip, If I remember they have 110 and I think some VP fuels, they can keep it at the price they gave me. Myself, Brad, Nik and a few other locals were on the hunt for good fuel about this time last year. Brad ended up driving to a station in central Ohio, he bough like 20 gallons of Sunoco 260 GTX 98 octane, it was great stuff but at 45 bucks for 5 gallons, it just wasn't worth it when you add in the distance, and how fast I burned it up. I pretty much have no other logical option than the #### fuel the corn growers get rich on.

I just looked up the last link you gave me, that's a good 100+ miles from me.

Last edited:
Crap..

Marathon Corporate HQ. is in Findlay. If ya get bored, and feel like it, give 'em a shout and see what they come up with.
There HAS to be a distributor that can get ya a Barrel of Rec90, somewhere in the area. If not, I'd bet they would be interested in fixing the situation. Can't sell something people want, unless you can get it to them.

100 miles? LOL!!
I just searched Cinci ethanol free Marine fuel and it came up.
That sucks!!

ETA: Mariner's Landing Marina

Mariner's Landing Marina
7405 Forbes Road
Cincinnati, OH 45233
(513) 941-3625
mariners-landing.com

As of August anyway....

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Last edited:
OMG the horror!!!!!!!

$2.00.....

Whats a carburetor cost? or even a rebuild at the shop? :msp_mellow:

Well, when you burn 60-70 gallons of gas a week during peak season it adds up. I don't have the luxury of just fueling a few chainsaws every now and then.

Well you now know my zip code because that's the very same marina right down the street lol.

ROFLMAO!!!

I saw that one and figured...Hmmmm August..I'll bet that's the one that lost thier mind and switched.:hmm3grin2orange:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

There's a place in roan mountain that has ethanol free if I remember right. There's a lot of them across the border in tn and va which is probably too far to be worth while for you unless you bought 200 gallons at a time. That could be another option of getting a fuel tank and if some place has ethanol free that can deliver for you.

I've used the blue Marine-grade Sta-bil ethanol treatment for 2 years in all my fuel cans. Whether its going in a boat, saw, or mower. I have never had a fuel problem. Whether that means its working or not I don't know, but I see no reason to change!

Well, when you burn 60-70 gallons of gas a week during peak season it adds up. I don't have the luxury of just fueling a few chainsaws every now and then.

If your burning that much, that fast, why add anything? I thought all the "problems" came from the fuel sitting?

I mix up 10 gallons of mix fuel every week (I am not worthy:bowdown:). I dont use additives. I check the bottom of the can before every fill up. I store the cans inside. I only buy fuel from 1 gas station. The guy checks the tanks daily and he has water sensors in the tank.

I add Stabil Marine to my snowmobile out on the trail as I never know when the last time I will ride it for the season and we are getting fuel from multiple stations.

I'm paranoid about Ethanol as well. I had to have the carb replaced on the 372xp last year. I couldn't
Figure out what it was I could be doing wrong as I am meticulous about maintenance and fresh fuel.
The Mechanic told me it was most likely the E-10 fuel I was using. I also am curious if one treatment is better than another.
Today I bought a bottle of Lucas ethanol treatment @ Wally world. Almost all fuel around here has ethanol in it now and the local
Stihl Just told me that it could be e-15 very soon. Safe alternatives suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm paranoid about Ethanol as well. I had to have the carb replaced on the 372xp last year. I couldn't
Figure out what it was I could be doing wrong as I am meticulous about maintenance and fresh fuel.
The Mechanic told me it was most likely the E-10 fuel I was using. I also am curious if one treatment is better than another.
Today I bought a bottle of Lucas ethanol treatment @ Wally world. Almost all fuel around here has ethanol in it now and the local
Stihl Just told me that it could be e-15 very soon. Safe alternatives suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I like the Startron. But I have a friend that uses the Marine Stabil with good luck. Father also.

Get an electric chainsaw

Ethanol it self is not going to hurt your baby of a chainsaw. Bad fuel handling practices and storage habits will. All the major ope manufacturers have made adjustments for the "ethanol" issue and fuel lines and carb kits are now different.

Easiest and cheapest solution, mix small amounts of fuel and use it sooner.

Last edited:
Well if your state took any of the Obama community reinvestment money, it also had to mandate 15% ethanol in its gasoline. Before this, it was voluntary and only 10%. Star tron and the new ethanol only version of stabil ( which just recently hit the market) is good for the new fuels. About the only place you'll find non-ethanol fuel is at non street vehicle point of sale locations like marina's. If you read the new EPA and NTFSB laws and REGULATIONS ethanol is not required and even banned from marine vessels, SPECIFICALLY because of its known and proven unreliability and damaging effects. Thus why it states no ethanol ever for any government vessel and military vehicles. If you go to star trons website they have a bunch of links and articles on documented effects of ethanol ( bulletins from your favorite manufacture stihl-honda-husk-etc.), especially in rec vehicles and small engine equipment. If you burn a high amount of fuel you will be fine as long as you account for the leaner burn and less power & efficiency. For every 10% ethanol you need 3-4% richer fuel mixture to maintain the same Air/Fuel ratio. If your ethanol blended fuel sits in an unsealed( non-metal container and flare seal=no rubber seals) container it can degrade 3 octane points in as little as 21 days,collect 1 oz of h2o/gal, and varnish enuff to reduce jets by 3%. Ethanol is a powerful cleaner & desiccant and it loves to disolve rubber and diaphrams, thus the special rubber fuel lines and new EPA carbs. Star tron does work not many others treat the ethanol like it does. it keeps it in its fuel state as ethanol by nature wants to revert back to its plant like state and degrade itself into a varnish. If you always run your engine dry your safe and use fresh fuel your safe, no more are the days of using a regular fuel stabilizer which doesn't treat the ethanol specifically. Talk to your local engine shop and you will find the big majority of repairs are fuel and fuel damage related this last year.

Latest posts

Back