ethonal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope. I don't worry about it. And the thought of machines running better is baloney. Octanes are octanes, and they're what affects engine knock. If I paid extra for E-Free at the cost of time and extra cost per gallon I'd be blowing money on something totally not worth it.

Ethanol is not the great satan. It's what we have to use, and it will be available a lot longer than dino gas. So please stop the whining and use it. Most machine failures occur due to improper operation and maintenance. Let's face it.

Gotta say, I tend to agree with what you have said. I've used ethanol-laced gas for many, many years and w/o any problems and/or issues.

I see posts where others are having one problem after another with it. When the dust has settled and the smoke has cleared, you pretty much nailed it (sentence high-lighted in red) what is going on.

Ethanol gas or not, don't let your OPE sit for long periods of time with fuel in them.

No, you're attributing failures to ethanol. Barring you actually seeing the failure happening, you can't guarantee a failure is caused by something. I don't wish to nitpick, but that's part of being a mechanic And the reasons you repair them are more than likely due to user error, like leaving fuel in the saw for far too long and letting it do damage. That is user error.

Signed,

An Engineer.

If some of us signed our posts..."Signed...a redneck white boy with an assload of common sense" instead of "Signed, An Enginner"...would we sound a little smarter in the Ethanol debate?? Lol

I used ethanol gas and Stihl oil in my 028 for 27 years with no repairs. It still ran great when serviced. It was never drained and sometimes set for 6-9 months. The point is it was high quality fuel. Not contaminated with water. That may not be availible anymore. I don't believe the ethanol is whole problem, contamination is. I run 65 year old equipment on gasahol with no problems. Have run gasahol for 35 years with very few problems. Old contaminated fuel is the problem. With that said you guys have scared me into using only alcohol free fuel in my 2 cycle engines. I turn the fuel every 30-45 days. I do not use canned fuel, too expensive for me.

I just fired up our generator the other day. Had E-Free in it that is over 3 years old. I know that's too long, but it smelled OK and ran fine.

It's when you mix ethanol with the 'average Joe' who knows nothing about small engine maintenance that you have problems.

No, you're attributing failures to ethanol. Barring you actually seeing the failure happening, you can't guarantee a failure is caused by something. I don't wish to nitpick, but that's part of being a mechanic And the reasons you repair them are more than likely due to user error, like leaving fuel in the saw for far too long and letting it do damage. That is user error.

Signed,

An Engineer.

So it's user error to want to be able to store stuff with fuel in it? Like the garden tractor... it sits all winter and fires right up every spring, on the same gas put into it late fall. Ethanol free gas doesn't really need a stabilizer... it stays fresh for a lot longer. Saws sit ready to go and typically fire right up.

I sure as hell am not gonna waste time siphoning gas out of the tank of the tractor to avoid the ethanol problem... and I am not gonna waste time and money (and cause environmental damage) by dumping gas out of saws to keep them from gumming up.

I got other **** that needs to be done, like cutting, splitting, and stacking firewood, and cleaning up the yard.

I'll just pay more at the pump for ethanol free gas and not have to worry about keeping things empty and replacing bad fuel constantly. Occasionally, one of the four stroke engines (like on the log splitter) might see ethanol but not for very long... it gets switched right back to ethanol free. The two strokes will never see ethanol when they are in my hands.

Stuff truly does run better with 10% more power due to the ethanol not being in the gas... 10% is a lot in a small engine... very noticeable. Hell, if you really want to see a difference, try doing a MPG test on your truck or car... you will see about a 10% rise in gas mileage when you run ethanol free gas through it.

Ethanol is a big scam... it is a waste of farm land... people should be getting quality food off of the land, not ****** corn or soybean crops that go to ethanol plants... It is clear that ethanol does damage to engines and parts related to them... try running E85 in whatever you drive right now and tell me that it works fine in the long term, I guarantee it will cause lots of problems. Special stuff is needed in order to work with ethanol. E85 compatible cars and trucks actually get worse gas mileage than their E10 running brethren.

Tygon fuel line is good, but ethanol still causes it to get hard and brittle in a fairly short amount of time. Regular rubber lines get hard and brittle too. I've seen it in many cases where the fuel line had to be replaced because of ethanol. Same goes for carb kits... lots of carb kits due to ethanol causing the diaphragms and fuel pump flaps to get stiff. Stuff turns into goo from contact with ethanol... fuel lines in chainsaws are notorious for this... try getting two new saws... mix ethanol blended gas for one, and ethanol free for the other... tell me which one fires up after a year or two of sitting with fuel in it.

If you really were an engineer, you'd be smart enough to know ethanol is a big problem with small engines, and especially with the older tractors, cars, trucks and OPE. Or maybe you're one of those idiot engineers that makes it so hard to work on these modern vehicles that I like to call pieces of ****. Can't replace something without removing a bunch of other stuff first.

I have been using 10% ETOH since it was introduced. I use it in everything from the boat to chainsaws. Sorry, but I have yet to have one failure that I can directly contribute to ethanol fuel. I used to drain out my equipment prior to storage but don’t bother anymore. Occasionally I would forget to drain a trimmer or two so I would drain them in the spring. The fuel I was draining out of them was just as good as the stuff I was placing back into them. What a waste of time as is chasing down non ETOH fuel.

The way some people talk makes it sound like dealers never sold a piece of fuel line or a carb kit prior to the introduction of ethanol fuel. You can blame all your problems on ETOH boogie man but with mixed fuel, the oil in the mix alone should keep fuel lines and diaphragms well protected.

I have been using 10% ETOH since it was introduced. I use it in everything from the boat to chainsaws. Sorry, but I have yet to have one failure that I can directly contribute to ethanol fuel. I used to drain out my equipment prior to storage but don’t bother anymore. Occasionally I would forget to drain a trimmer or two so I would drain them in the spring. The fuel I was draining out of them was just as good as the stuff I was placing back into them. What a waste of time as is chasing down non ETOH fuel.

The way some people talk makes it sound like dealers never sold a piece of fuel line or a carb kit prior to the introduction of ethanol fuel. You can blame all your problems on ETOH boogie man but with mixed fuel, the oil in the mix alone should keep fuel lines and diaphragms well protected.

10% is the keyword. I was Ok until the % went higher. I had a new Tygon fuel line turn to stone in 2 weeks. Learned me. Our new Dillons fuel station doesn't even have an ethanol sign even though I tested it at 13%. Kansas law doesn't require a sign until the % goes above 10%. Dillons apparently doesn't realize they are above 10%, or they don't know they are breaking the law.

Kansas law copied from the Kansas department of agriculture
Statutes & Regulations
Weights & Measures
99-25-10. Retail dispenser labeling. Each retail dispenser of fuel ethanol shall be labeled with the capital letter “E” followed by the percentage of denatured ethanol, by volume, and ending with the word “ethanol” if the percentage of fuel ethanol, by volume, exceeds 10 percent.

Most of you are burning RBOB ( Reformulated Blendstock for Oxygenate Blending ) and it's not the gasoline you think it is. Octane may be octane, but corn-free high octane is more than a little different from ethanol gasoline.

http://www.wearethepractitioners.co.../the-gasoline-bobs-cbob-and-rbob-(and-carbob)

Luckily I can get e-free 91 octane in a nearby town I visit anyway and 5 gallons will do me for most of the summer.

Latest posts

Back