EXTREME precision falling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is X still going off ? Come on Bubbers, ya got to chill, yer just going round in circles chasin yer own tail. Its Ok, we still love ya.:msp_wub:

LOL, nah not chasing my tail, just trying to prove that Murph is full of it.......... Just wonder how professional he looks in regards to ANSI..........or for that fact why the magazine he brags about being featured in doesnt print & show his online fodder from here? :msp_w00t:

Yeah X, What did you do today? Post that. Yes, I think I can safely say WE want to know. Go on up there and tell us, or you can tell us here if you want. It could be anything, that's what we want... I think you do too. Come on man, you got to give it up. Just forget all this nonsense, I have been there, sometimes still go back but its all these nice people here that make me see the light. I forgive you, they forgive you, now forgive yourself buddy.
Sure, if you see somebody doing something stupid go ahead and crack a line but don't get all wrapped up in it.

what did I do???? Today? tell ya what Danno Ill give ya a snapshot of a few days, hows that? let me see... Wednesday, I acquired the 3 ring binder of permits, hydrology reports, Vegetation reports & many other DEP/EPA required material for the Marcellus shale project through Cheasapeak to study & prepare for tour & audit purposes!

Thursday.....miserable day.... but managed to do 4 removals for a HO so he can build his shed in the spring, also discussed bringin in my dozer to do the grading & removing of some vegetation garbage that had been there for years!!

Now during both these days Danno, I also through Davey Resource group am gearing up for possible transmission inspections, should know within the week or so............Now Danno this requires the use of laser range finders, Arc pad through trimble, GPS co-ordinate data & possible GIS data entry............basically what I did in the early part of last year for them on First Energy property.....Also there are opportunities @ the local utility Duquesne Light co.

Ya see Danno............many opportunities & things to do, prior to Wednesday when the weather would permit, I engaged in some trimming, removals & basic clean out the overgrown landscape to open it up for spring.......Today, Friday....Im gonna leave @ noon & haul some gravel (approx 20 tons) to a guy needing it for his rain soaked muddy driveway...........I go to a place in Negley Oh
for pick up material costs bout $200, my take for PU/delivery & tailgate $300.00 about 2 hours of my time.

As far as forgiveness............well I forgive you too Danno!! & to give up on some hack degrading the trade, Cant do that.....Ya see Unlike some people (Murphy, Treeseer) just to name a few..... I really do consult & throughout the US!!! & I really can do what I claim & have showed snapshots of it, but those pics were for showing how a machine would work in tree care not to brag about my skill or a "look at me & Aint I great" promotional...I just dont feel the need to senselessly brag about it & wouldnt if my work skill/talent reflected what we view in Murphs Vids.

So hope this sheds some light for ya?

LXT..................

Listen I don't wanna have to keep telling all you loggers to beat it , murph is a treemans ##### and only a treeman can kick him around , you need to go and find someone on the loggers playground to pick on and throw dodgeballs at . I mean its bad enough already and his hands are full

Yassuh boss! We just thought that maybe we'd learn something useful, pick up a few pointers from that Murphy guy, and add to our store of knowledge. Well, so much for that. ;)

Actually, on second thought, we learned quite a bit. We always figured that the loudest guy was the weakest guy. We were right.

Last edited:
LXT

Its all about money he has to drive people to watch his videos on youtube. You can get paid per view. Murphy is brilliant, create controversy, hype, and turmoil, which equates to more views which means more money.

Some of those viral videos produce 10's of thousands of dollars. After so many views the advertisers approach the owner of the video.

Dan Murphy are you left handed? Just watching the way you do things leaves me to believe you are, and Im not asking in disrespect just wondering.

For "out West" that is a small tree and the guy obviously botched it with that stupid bore cut. Getting fancy with trees for no reason will cause you trouble.

Since when is using a bore cut "getting fancy"... This is 2012.. what decade are you from? Ya he botched it, but don't blame that on the bore.. looks like there was a pull line on that tree.. too much pull and not enough back strap.. Bad move.. The bore cut is an extremely reliable, safe, effective and versatile cut, that has many applications in suburban arb... anyone that thinks differently has a lot to learn. Calling the bore cut "stupid" says more about you than the cut.

Since when is using a bore cut "getting fancy"... This is 2012.. what decade are you from? Ya he botched it, but don't blame that on the bore.. looks like there was a pull line on that tree.. too much pull and not enough back strap.. Bad move.. The bore cut is an extremely reliable, safe, effective and versatile cut, that has many applications in suburban arb... anyone that thinks differently has a lot to learn. Calling the bore cut "stupid" says more about you than the cut.

I can't think of all that many uses for the bore cut to be honest... one or two, once or twice a year MAYBE.

Feel free to enlighten me though, oh great mulleted wonder... :laugh:

I can't think of all that many uses for the bore cut to be honest... one or two, once or twice a year MAYBE.

Feel free to enlighten me though, oh great mulleted wonder... :laugh:

Ya I know.. there are a lot of guys that think like that.. its easy to get stuck in your comfort zone... and you can get yourself in trouble learning to plunge, because its easy to accidentally take too much out of the hinge... Its not needed in every situation, but once you get comfortable with its use, it makes things fast and easy.

Ya I know.. there are a lot of guys that think like that.. its easy to get stuck in your comfort zone... and you can get yourself in trouble learning to plunge, because its easy to accidentally take too much out of the hinge... Its not needed in every situation, but once you get comfortable with its use, it makes things fast and easy.

Yeah, maybe it is the getting stuck in the comfort zone thing. Usually I'll just hook my tractor winch up to the tree via bullrope, clevis and choker, pretention it just as I want it (from experience), lock it, make a coventional notch and appropriate backcut, then I just step back and have the guys slam it down. I can even do this myself if I want. I like my ways.

PS.. the guy says that he used no crash pads, and because the piece hit flat, it spread the weight out, and did no damage to the street.. hard to believe with that much mass, coming down that hard.. Still I give him the benefit of the doubt..

LXT

Its all about money he has to drive people to watch his videos on youtube. You can get paid per view. Murphy is brilliant, create controversy, hype, and turmoil, which equates to more views which means more money.

Some of those viral videos produce 10's of thousands of dollars. After so many views the advertisers approach the owner of the video.

So Now AA & Murph are rich..? uh? so you`re saying AA is brilliant? cause he has done all the same things! wonder how many agree............cmon guys, are they brilliant? LMFAO

LXT...........

Yeah, maybe it is the getting stuck in the comfort zone thing. Usually I'll just hook my tractor winch up to the tree via bullrope, clevis and choker, pretention it just as I want it (from experience), lock it, make a coventional notch and appropriate backcut, then I just step back and have the guys slam it down. I can even do this myself if I want. I like my ways.

You gotta do what works.. like some old school climbers are just so fast at their system, its hard to argue with that... HOWEVER, just like any other trick in the tool bag, once you get real good at the plunge, you can get creative and apply it to solve many problems, increase safety, and fall stuff that you otherwise wouldn't trust etc..

Step Cut 2 - YouTube

plunged vertical snap cuts.mov - YouTube

remote trip tops - YouTube

widowmaker trip.mov - YouTube

ps .. I don't make a dime from youtube.. They have offered to "monetize" my videos, but I don't want that..

we went from splitting a 4' round at 50' from the hinge, with a dead oak (precision or not) , to the middle school playground, to wether its faster to fall or rig a tree, to dropping trees in the street (or not), to the plunge cuts (or not), and now to a 2007 bandit 1590, with a 140 HP cummins... to answer your question, I would never go back to a disc chipper.. The next move is going to be either 200 or 250 hp.. and I really want a grapple to go with it.. The winch on this chipper almost never gets used anymore, though it was a workhorse before the skid loader joined the movement..

and ya, the opening is 17" high by 21" wide... so we can chip up to 21" by cutting the pieces down to under 17" and feeding them through upright..

Last edited:
we went from splitting a 4' round at 50' from the hinge, with a dead oak (precision or not) , to the middle school playground, to dropping trees in the street (or not), to the plunge cuts (or not), and now to a 2007 bandit 1590, with a 140 HP perkins... to answer your question, I would never go back to a disc chipper.. The next move is going to be either 200 or 250 hp.. and I really want a grapple to go with it.. The winch on this chipper almost never gets used anymore, though it was a workhorse before the skid loader joined the movement..

and ya, the opening is 17" high by 21" wide... so we can chip up to 21" by cutting the pieces down to under 17" and feeding them through upright..

Thanks. I'm chipper dreaming now... just dropped a $1200 a month payment.. so of course it gets me thinking and dreaming.

I like my 250 disk though. I think the infeed is 12 x 23 or 24" wide (quad rollers and super sized infeed option). Part of the reason I'm hesitant to go with the 1590 is because I think it is only listed as having a 20" wide opening. I love the way mine feeds, and don't wanna lose any of that in an upgrade. I'm sure I probably wouldn't with the 1590 though, I'm just very cautious with equipment purchases.

Thanks again for the input. We can now resume the regulary scheduled programming...

Thanks again for the input. We can now resume the regulary scheduled programming...
WHY??? We can always get back to that later... whatever that was..
I think for my market you should have the biggest chipper your truck can pull... We chip 99.999% of jobs... its a crucial piece of equipment to productivity, profitability and competitiveness. A HUGE time and hassle saver....
So wen you use a plunge cut to bomb those trees into the street, you have a big azz chipper to stuff it into before you you "simply" drive away...

WHY??? We can always get back to that later... whatever that was..
I think for my market you should have the biggest chipper your truck can pull... We chip 99.999% of jobs... its a crucial piece of equipment to productivity, profitability and competitiveness. A HUGE time and hassle saver....
So wen you use a plunge cut to bomb those trees into the street, you have a big azz chipper to stuff it into before you you "simply" drive away...

I'm trying to keep the chip truck under CDL, so your size chipper in the 140 hp range fits perfect. I've talked to some people that hate the drum chippers, and others that say the 1590 is awesome, that's why I asked (figured you were more than old enough to have run both). lol.

Not that I really need one, I just like toys! I'm not sure if it's worth jumping right back into the payment game over it though.. tempting as it is. Maybe I'll wait and try and trade mine in later in the year and just pay cash for the rest... probably the smartest idea, just not as much fun, and I miss out on having it for the whole season that way.

Last edited:
Making that jump to a cdl truck with a big box and a monster chipper is huge... I have yet to do it, but I know people that have.. gotta get out of the comfort zone again.. (at least we have a theme here)

Yeah, one CDL truck is enough for me at this point (probably for a very long time)... besides at 23 yards and 25,500, my IH is as big as you can go and stay under CDL. Good enough for me.

I see bandit offers an "extra wide feedwheel option" on the 1590 now, no details though. I'm guessing that the rollers are 24" on that one... might be just what I'm looking for. Now if they offer a quad wheel option too, I'm done for!! lol.

we went from splitting a 4' round at 50' from the hinge, with a dead oak (precision or not) , to the middle school playground, to wether its faster to fall or rig a tree, to dropping trees in the street (or not), to the plunge cuts (or not), and now to a 2007 bandit 1590, with a 140 HP cummins... to answer your question, I would never go back to a disc chipper.. The next move is going to be either 200 or 250 hp.. and I really want a grapple to go with it.. The winch on this chipper almost never gets used anymore, though it was a workhorse before the skid loader joined the movement..

Consider the weight of the chipper and the truck and transmission before going over a 6 ton chipper.Are their lots of hills?

:ices_rofl:

I did most of my work in the '70s into the '90s and yes the bore cut was known then. I have used it when it was required. Nowadays, the bore cut is way over used, seems to be a substitute for experience or learned from videos put up by self proclaimed exspurts. In the video, a bore cut was not required, it looked like he cut through the hinge, therefore stupid. Getting all fancy, probably for an audience, leads to overcutting removing any chances for correction. Why do anymore than you need to.
In regards to having timber fallers wander in here, our fields overlap some, there are shared experiences.

Murph, you post vids to show what you do and how you do it. You are not looking for constructive advice, you seem to want to preen and give off an aura of professional expertise. Some of it is good, the rest, well it gives us a clue of what not to do. Your personal level of defensive rebuttal says you know you haven't got it.

Back