EXTREME precision falling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Murph!

I need to figure how to get someone to be able to make that plunge cut correctly. Critical!

Hey Rope - Jasper this coming weekend, we have a tree to climb and limb!

widow maker vid

Man that plunge cut on that widow maker was insane! Good job! I was wondering and trying to think of a way where one could make the final cut on the opposite for added safety. Wouldn't have been better to stand on other side of tree giving you a little room for error if it didn't go just right?

Ill tell you what Murph, that was one of the greatest cuts I've seen, and I've seen my share. I just want you to be honest, how Fkn nervous were you?

I would have been at the extreme side of the nervous scale, WOW! great cut. Cat like, with the quickness, and no Im not kissin up to you, just callin an ace an ace.

I just have to mention one thing about our personal weight issues. Maybe we should dress a little more like Andy Reid and wear a little more black.

Ill tell you what Murph, that was one of the greatest cuts I've seen, and I've seen my share. I just want you to be honest, how Fkn nervous were you?

I would have been at the extreme side of the nervous scale, WOW! great cut. Cat like, with the quickness, and no Im not kissin up to you, just callin an ace an ace.

I just have to mention one thing about our personal weight issues. Maybe we should dress a little more like Andy Reid and wear a little more black.

You got an hour and 17 minutes to go get all your chores done because the lions are gonna be a Great game

Last time I really got nervous about that cut was 1989, when we started using the cut on storm damaged trees for Hugo.... only time I get nervous these days is when the tree is getting straight, and might go 360 after the final cut.. otherwise the butt ALWAYS does the same thing... goes straight down*..... might look risky, but its NOT... you practically have to try to get under it for it to get you.. * the only exception is if the tree is top heavy, which is extremely rare.. if its top heavy the but is gonna come back and down.. This is extremely rare situation, with a huge tree laying well over the peak of a roof, or sometimes a tree getting hung in a low crotch of a nearby tree..

When everyone freaked out about that first vid, thinking it was so dangerous I made this one to show how predictable it is:
plunged vertical snap cuts.mov - YouTube

ps.. if you think that's a good cut, I got another that will really drop your jaw... been holding back on that one for years... really should get it out though, 'casue its a potential life saver..

Last time I really got nervous about that cut was 1989, when we started using the cut on storm damaged trees for Hugo.... only time I get nervous these days is when the tree is getting straight, and might go 360 after the final cut.. otherwise the butt ALWAYS does the same thing... goes straight down*..... might look risky, but its NOT... you practically have to try to get under it for it to get you.. * the only exception is if the tree is top heavy, which is extremely rare.. if its top heavy the but is gonna come back and down.. This is extremely rare situation, with a huge tree laying well over the peak of a roof, or sometimes a tree getting hung in a low crotch of a nearby tree..

When everyone freaked out about that first vid, thinking it was so dangerous I made this one to show how predictable it is:
plunged vertical snap cuts.mov - YouTube

ps.. if you think that's a good cut, I got another that will really drop your jaw... been holding back on that one for years... really should get it out though, 'casue its a potential life saver..

It's refreshing to see such humility. Murph, don't hold back. If you have a cut that could save countless lives, you need to share this valuable information.

I'm trying to get my mind around the function and significance of the plunge cut

.....pondering......

Now I'm even more confused.

Where'd the time come from?

I notice that the 'back' cut is significantly under the notch. The 'with grain' sheer is to the plunge, which gives it a target. But the plunge to the notch orientation takes skill. My help couldn't do it.....

Now I'm even more confused.

Where'd the time come from?

I notice that the 'back' cut is significantly under the notch. The 'with grain' sheer is to the plunge, which gives it a target. But the plunge to the notch orientation takes skill. My help couldn't do it.....

Watch the video again Murphy clearly stated that his cut can add precious seconds needed to evacuate the work area ! Actually to my Lehman eyes it looked like it moved faster

I will attempt to video my next takedown that uses this technique.

How much grief will you guys give me?

Back