Fabricating Full Wrap saw handle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alvareri

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was just curious if anyone has ever bent up a handle for a saw... I've got a bunch of cases that need handles... went to the dealer and got sticker shock-$150 a pop! I'm a tig welder by trade, aluminum mostly, so I figure it can't be that hard, just have to figure out pressing the flats for mounting might need some special dies. Picked up some .84"OD tube at the scrap yard, figure I might give it a shot.

Gave it a quick shot a work today.... definitely need to come up with a solution for the pressed portions by annealing most likely. Got the bends fairly close, the die I have is a different radius however so it looks a bit different.

Attachments

• 20211214_161501.jpg
    20211214_161501.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • 20211214_161457.jpg
    20211214_161457.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • 20211214_161426.jpg
    20211214_161426.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 8
  • 20211214_161401.jpg
    20211214_161401.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
FYI, a nifty trick to get nicer bends. Fill the pipe with fine sand. Pack as much in as possible. Can’t be loose. A bit of moisture can help. Tape or plug the ends to stop sand coming out. Bend away. The sand doesn’t compress and you get really good bends. I’ve done it on alloy pipe which did dint from cheap bender up to 2 in steel for my rock sliders. The sheet metal bloke asked who bent them because they were pretty and no welds.

FYI, a nifty trick to get nicer bends. Fill the pipe with fine sand. Pack as much in as possible. Can’t be loose. A bit of moisture can help. Tape or plug the ends to stop sand coming out. Bend away. The sand doesn’t compress and you get really good bends. I’ve done it on alloy pipe which did dint from cheap bender up to 2 in steel for my rock sliders. The sheet metal bloke asked who bent them because they were pretty and no welds.
Some "How things are made" show I saw a long time ago said that the places that make brass musical instruments (tuba, horn, etc) fill the pipes with soapy water and freeze them prior to bending. I can't remember what the purpose of the soap was, but I've kept that little tidbit filed away in case I decide to custom build a wrap handle.

That is how a copper worm is made for a still. You crimp one end. Use a small funnel to fill the copper tube. Figure your measurements and design. Wrap the tube around a small tree. Cut the tree and lift the worm out. Cut the crimp off. Shake gently to get the sand out.

Latest posts

Back