face cord

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawjunky

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've seen it said before and I was wondering what a face cord is? Is it a half cord, full cord, or something else? Evan

Easy one mate, face cord is one row 4'x 8', the size in cubic feet depends on how long the pieces were cut, for example if 16" then its around 1/3 of a full cord (which is 128 cubic ft).
Btw, it sort of pizzes me off that the term is even used, just my opinion tho, as I find it can be quite misleading as there is quite a difference if the pieces are 14" or 24", know what I mean? :bang:
Plus I think only a 'cord' should be called one, 4x4x8'. Grrrrrrr.

:cheers:

Serge

Last edited:
Yeah I understand about the varying sizes and why it shouldn't be used just wondering what it meant. Evan

If the pieces are all 16", then it is 1/3 of a cord. 16" x 3 =48"=4'

Around here we call it a "rick". In a lot of states, it is only legal to sell wood in cords, or partial cords. A "true half cord" would have to be 24" long. Not many have fireplaces that large anymore, thus the advent of "face cord".
To me, it seems the laws have way overcomplicated the selling of wood.

Around here we call it a "rick". In a lot of states, it is only legal to sell wood in cords, or partial cords. A "true half cord" would have to be 24" long. Not many have fireplaces that large anymore, thus the advent of "face cord".
To me, it seems the laws have way overcomplicated the selling of wood.

So just what is complicated about requiring it to be sold only in cord or fraction of cord? At least that way the buyer knows exactly how much wood he is getting.

Harry K

I've seen it said before and I was wondering what a face cord is? Is it a half cord, full cord, or something else? Evan

Basically it is anything the seller wants to call a face cord. It is a non-standard measure and illegal in many states. Same goes for 'rick' 'bush cord' (that one may have some legitimacy if referring to pulp wood), 'load', pile'. They are all BS terms that were originated to scam the buyer.

Harry K

Basically it is anything the seller wants to call a face cord. It is a non-standard measure and illegal in many states. Same goes for 'rick' 'bush cord' (that one may have some legitimacy if referring to pulp wood), 'load', pile'. They are all BS terms that were originated to scam the buyer.

Harry K
Ok I agree on that partly however it takes more work to
split 16 inch verse 24 inch wood so who is scamming who? Firewood is hard work and not worth what it pays to haul it stack it. One way is the way I plan on doing it is tell them 24 inch is at cord price but if they want special cut they will have to pay more and explain why! Each piece has to be handled ,each piece split and is like stacking a cord and a half of 24 inch so cost is 1 1/2 cord.

So just what is complicated about requiring it to be sold only in cord or fraction of cord? At least that way the buyer knows exactly how much wood he is getting.

Harry K

Harry K

You just answered it for me.

I can sell you a "face cord" but it may only be eight inches long. Is that not a scam as well?
Not picking a fight, but it comes down to splitting hairs:heart:

Ok I agree on that partly however it takes more work to
split 16 inch verse 24 inch wood so who is scamming who? Firewood is hard work and not worth what it pays to haul it stack it. One way is the way I plan on doing it is tell them 24 inch is at cord price but if they want special cut they will have to pay more and explain why! Each piece has to be handled ,each piece split and is like stacking a cord and a half of 24 inch so cost is 1 1/2 cord.

How much work goes into making firewood has nothing to do with it. If you are selling, sell by a legal measure. That way there needs to be no confusion between buyer/seller and every thing becomes much simpler.

Another one of my pet peeves is a poster who says he burns 15 cords/year and when questioned has to admit that it is that nebulous 'face cord'. Using 'face cord' or any of the other bogus measures only causes confusion when discussing firewood.

Harry K

How much work goes into making firewood has nothing to do with it. If you are selling, sell by a legal measure. That way there needs to be no confusion between buyer/seller and every thing becomes much simpler.

Another one of my pet peeves is a poster who says he burns 15 cords/year and when questioned has to admit that it is that nebulous 'face cord'. Using 'face cord' or any of the other bogus measures only causes confusion when discussing firewood.

Harry K
Just for your info if I sell it it will be cord or half cord or
cubic foot, saying work has nothing to do with it is bs! it is not a scam to
explain why if they want 16 inch wood they will have to pay me more for
extra work and that is the root of the problem. No one looking out for the
poor chap trying to feed his family by working his hind end off. A scam goes both ways 16 inch = more splitting = more gas=more work=more stacking=more money. I cut 24 inch wood if they want special size they will pay for extra work as I will not be shorted for my extra work and expense and if they feel that is a scam they can always cut 24 in in half. By the way I burned
six cords last year or 768 cubic feet and was not a bad winter.

Last edited:
Selling firewood is a wonderful thing, getting repeat costumers is even better!

A very high parentage of new costumers remark on how big the pile is when you deliver them a "true" cord, it really sucks that there are so many that will cheat the stack.

The best advertising I think there is is an over-fair measure of the highest quality firewood you can. There is not a better compliment then having them punch in your phone number in there speed-dial before you leave!

It is also the best way to give yourself a raise, I hope to be one of the highest quality , over-measured , fairest priced firewood sources in the Denver area. A good business motto "Integrity"

A very high parentage of new costumers remark on how big the pile is when you deliver them a "true" cord, it really sucks that there are so many that will cheat the stack.

"[/QUOTE

This is very true. I don't sell much firewood but when I do people often have the same reaction you described..."That's a lot more wood than ++++ sold me" I bring an honest cord and a couple of cardboard boxes of big scrap and kindling. I think that if an honest guy really put the time and effort into it he could have all the firewood customers he could handle. All he'd have to do is be honest and fair. And keep his word . And not mind working his butt off for almost as much money as he could make working at Pizza Delight ;)

I have sold firewood a few times. A full size pickup, like a 70s-80s full size with a 8' box. A cord is the same as a stack of plywood that is 4' high, like about 14" above the cab. A lot of wood, more than a 1/2 ton can handle. When people say "truckload of firewood for X $", ask them, is it a stacked pile 4'X4'X8'?

The best advertising I think there is is an over-fair measure of the highest quality firewood you can. There is not a better compliment then having them punch in your phone number in there speed-dial before you leave!

It is also the best way to give yourself a raise, I hope to be one of the highest quality , over-measured , fairest priced firewood sources in the Denver area. A good business motto "Integrity"
You are right
I haven't sold much wood as I try to stay busy doing other things but
the few I delivered were higher than the going rate. Customer said they
loved the seasoned red oak I brought them and that although higher than
the last guy they got almost twice as much wood.

Just for your info if I sell it it will be cord or half cord or
cubic foot, saying work has nothing to do with it is bs! it is not a scam to
explain why if they want 16 inch wood they will have to pay me more for
extra work and that is the root of the problem. No one looking out for the
poor chap trying to feed his family by working his hind end off. A scam goes both ways 16 inch = more splitting = more gas=more work=more stacking=more money. I cut 24 inch wood if they want special size they will pay for extra work as I will not be shorted for my extra work and expense and if they feel that is a scam they can always cut 24 in in half. By the way I burned
six cords last year or 768 cubic feet and was not a bad winter.

I repeat. The amoutn of work has nothing to do with it. "it" being the measure you use selling it. The price you charge depends on what work/time/effort you put into it and what the market will bear. A cord of 16" _should_ get a higher price than a cord 24". A cord is a cord is a cord.

Glad to hear you are selling by legal measure.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back