face cord

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I sold firewood in the mid 70's to mid 80's it was by the pick up load.This equated to about a half cord if it was stacked about one level above the bed side rails.The price back then was 40 bucks.

If I recall correctly most states enacted laws governing firewood sales around the late 80's with regards to using cords or fractions there of as a measurement standard.

You can in fact get a full cord on an 8 foot bed but it is above the cab level and one 'ell of a load on a pick-em-up truck.

I've seen it said before and I was wondering what a face cord is? Is it a half cord, full cord, or something else? Evan

Called a Rick up here, a third of a cord sq. footage. I see alot about fire laws from other areas, Doesn't seem to be too many laws up here. But, heating with wood is a way of life up here so most people cut their own and if you do have to buy most people know who to buy from and how much to pay. :chainsawguy:

I have sold firewood a few times. A full size pickup, like a 70s-80s full size with a 8' box. A cord is the same as a stack of plywood that is 4' high, like about 14" above the cab. A lot of wood, more than a 1/2 ton can handle. When people say "truckload of firewood for X $", ask them, is it a stacked pile 4'X4'X8'?
I know I have a 80 GMC 1/2ton that I use for wood hauling and I can only get a half cord of dry pine in it and that is well above the box, but I have a topper on it one of those raised ones. The saws almost hit the roof of the topper when sitting on the wood.
I have a rule of thumb I fallow 3 tanks of gas in a small saw or two tanks in a big saw and that should fill the truck. I stack it neatly but don't split until home then I get a honest Half cord out of it!

Around here 'face cord' is a very common term and many sellers advertise and price firewood that way. It is 1/3 of a full cord or 42.7 cubic feet. It seems to me that makes it a 'legal' measure, since it is a fraction of a full cord. I think the term face cord may be regional, just like rick.

BTW, a full cord of wood is not only measured as 4' x 4' x 8'. A full cord of wood is 128 cubic feet; no matter how you stack it. 4' x 4' x 8' is just a common way of getting to the 128 cubic foot mark.

Just my .02

Around here 'face cord' is a very common term and many sellers advertise and price firewood that way. It is 1/3 of a full cord or 42.7 cubic feet. It seems to me that makes it a 'legal' measure, since it is a fraction of a full cord. I think the term face cord may be regional, just like rick.

BTW, a full cord of wood is not only measured as 4' x 4' x 8'. A full cord of wood is 128 cubic feet; no matter how you stack it. 4' x 4' x 8' is just a common way of getting to the 128 cubic foot mark.

Just my .02

Hmmm, How did you calculate 1/3 cord (e.g. 42.7 cu ft) ??? 128 divide by 3 eguals 42.66666 cu ft. You must do things differently down in your neck of the woods. Oh well !!

Hmmm, How did you calculate 1/3 cord (e.g. 42.7 cu ft) ??? 128 divide by 3 eguals 42.66666 cu ft. You must do things differently down in your neck of the woods. Oh well !!

I'm not quite sure what your point is either. Down in my neck of the woods we just round the number off (remember that day of elementary school math)....

All I was implying is that if you asked people in this area who buy and or sell firewood what a face cord is, 90% or better would know that it was 1/3 of a cord. It's really no skin off my back either way; I don't sell wood and I don't pay for my firewood. No, I don't steal it either; I scrounge.

My reply was meant as a joke. I'm sorry if everyone took it the wrong way. Rounding the 1/3 cord ( cu ft measure) to the nearest 10th is not unusual. Sorry

Sorry if I snapped back a bit; I wasn't sure where you were going with that. No harm done.

I know that this debate over terms and units of measure for firewood sales comes up once in a while and it can get pretty heated.

I just started cutting my own firewood a couple of years ago and was somewhat surprised at how much firewood is actually in a true cord. I knew what the measurements were by when a guy just dumps a pile in your driveway it is pretty hard to measure to make sure you got a full cord. Now that I know the truth I would never pay for "cut and split" firewood. At least as long as I am able to find sources of cheap or free wood.

so you are saying

Just to stir the pot a bit.

Odd fact. When buying firewood, buy it in the round. You will get about 10 percent more wood than if it is delivered split.

Harry K

You will split a face or rick of wood for 4.50-5.00$ to just get the extra 10% of wood?

Latest posts

Back