Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the nicer ash I've cut. 4 10s and 2 8s. No limbing, just top.
attachment.php

Got a weeks worth of cutting with the 390 ported now. I like er a lot better! Permatex gasket got me to 175psi. Took the exhaust out a little and roughed up the intake. That 288 deflector sure works slick on the muffler!
attachment.php

Fixed my oiler hole issues.
attachment.php

Left these tree length cause its too rocky and steep for the forwarder here. I'll have to pull em down Monday.
attachment.php

Just a pretty face from a couple of weeks ago. A nice double stem basswood. About 3' across the hinge. 10 logs between the two.
attachment.php

View attachment 241858
View attachment 241859
View attachment 241860
View attachment 241861
View attachment 241862

Last edited:
pics

SOme current falling, a super gravy poplar patch, best ground and vol./acre ever. Wont last forever but its been a good run. The cut is pretty mucj a modified shelterwood regen prescription, cutter select (me). Here's a few from the other day. At the end of the day, half tank to go, walk out a tree to limb and top, knocked a couple limbs off and got to where I wanted to top it and since I was a few six or so feet in the air I tossed the saw for a gentle drop into the slash andd I would follow and some little twig caught the maxflow cover, broke my flange. Trees are dumped downhill more than I'd like but its for easier logging from below.

View attachment 241991

View attachment 241992

View attachment 241993

View attachment 241994

View attachment 241995

Nice pics Joe, looks like pretty good going. Bummer on the AF mount.....I've busted 5 or 6, yet I somehow never managed to throw a spare in my pack. Least it was at the end of the day.

SOme current falling, a super gravy poplar patch, best ground and vol./acre ever. Wont last forever but its been a good run. The cut is pretty mucj a modified shelterwood regen prescription, cutter select (me). Here's a few from the other day. At the end of the day, half tank to go, walk out a tree to limb and top, knocked a couple limbs off and got to where I wanted to top it and since I was a few six or so feet in the air I tossed the saw for a gentle drop into the slash andd I would follow and some little twig caught the maxflow cover, broke my flange. Trees are dumped downhill more than I'd like but its for easier logging from below.

Nice pics, Joe. Thanks for sharing.

Looks like a rx burn wouldn't hurt that country at all. Been reading a lot about the need to increase burning in the "fast becoming too moist" East. Got any thoughts on that?

Here's one article - Cascading species shift looms in fire-starved Eastern woods

Great pics, if your area of the country is about like mine than you were 100% right about that being gravy, I bet you enjoyed the heck outta yourself! I love cuttin' poplars, talk about production. What are they gonna skid it out with? A cable machine?

Tom

Hey guys I'm new but totally jealous of all the big wood pics on here I would love to learn to cut stuff that big one day

Unfortunatly no pic, just a story. Walking up to my next tree this morning something rolled away side hill from my foot. It was a tiny newborn mule deer. Couldn't even get up. Figured I better not touch it, just had on a pair of ratty/smelly cotton gloves. Only about a hundred feet below the road, so I went up and got the chaser. He had a new pair of rubber palmed gloves and packed the fawn up above the road (out of the block).

Mom found it a couple hours later and off they went. Kind of neat to see a bunch of guys that would gladly put the full-grown version in the freezer worry over and keep checking up on that little one.

Hope you're all having a good week - Sam

Greatings from New Mexico my friends. Ive been down here for a week and a half on the Little Bear complex out of Ruidoso, NM. Aint got much time, I'll explain about how much of a twisted show this place is. The weather is hot, the trees are kind of big and the air at 8000ft is very thin.

Have any of yall seen Redprospector? If I remember correctly he is from Cloudcroft. If he is, I might have spied him at camp a few times.

More random pics....

Doubling down on yarders....with almost no lead on cutting

View attachment 242741

Few of you guys will recognize the helo's parking spot

View attachment 242742

Bitterroot Range on the way out

View attachment 242743

Today's strip, select cut, got a good ways past the cooridors you can see, big day for just two of us.

View attachment 242749

Hope you all had a good, safe week - Sam

Now that's the logging I'm used to. . . I never got nuthin' but select, with Corridors like that. Them sets look freaking long too -- are they more than 1,100 feet?

Yeah Nate, about 1300 feet. Pushing the limits of those link belt drums. Start up Mill Creek on Monday, 1800 feet in depth......the boys will be tagged out on that one. Might have to dial down the sky line for something slimmer and see how it goes. Not my problem thank goodness. I'll just dump them and let the side rod figure it out.

Latest posts

Back