Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty much every part, depending on the job.

I was just curious as I spent most of my summers as a youth in Macon County (1966- 1974). At the time, it seemed every young male over 18 was either fighting in Nam or cutting in Washington State although there was logging going on in the Nantahala. I can still see and hear the log trucks winding down Hwy 64 (you could hear them long before you could see them) some only carrying five logs and a few with only three. I also remember some of those same loggers slugging it out on Saturday nights at the red clay oval. I have lots of great memories of WNC. Also a few sad ones - including seeing the woods littered with huge American Chestnuts stumps and knowing there would never be another true American Chestnut of any significant size due to the blight. Ron

Nice vid Joe, looks like pretty dandy stuff. Tall. Not what comes to mind when I think of timber over there. Neat to see. What lengths are you cutting, and how many to a stick like that? - Sam

Well, its a little biased, that video, I work damn fine timber, but its not all that big or that tall, but I will say that 70% or more is satisfying timber. That tree probably measured about 48" on the stump, and probably had 3 16's and 1 12', all sawlogs because too big for peelers. probably right in the 2100 bf range, pretty nice stick. All in all, I average 22-24" on the stump and maybe 44-48' of sawlog material and a stick of pulpwood 300 bf/tree, but this doesn't account for the junk I cut, to make it legit forestry, not just high-grading. Big ones like in the vid will get one or 2 16's or a 33 bucked off to ease the presssure on the logging equipment, usual size timber will either get pulled whole stem (limbed and topped) or bucked somewhere in half (measured or at a super obvious defect or a fork) to make it log or turn easier.

At the end of the day, production wise, falling and logging, 600 bf trees 30" on the stump day in and day out maximize production, at least for us.

July2012Trees014.jpg
.Did a take down job in Valdez Thursday and Friday. here are some pics.
July2012Trees017.jpg
..Climbing sure was easier when I wore a size 34 riggin pant.
July2012Trees070.jpg
July2012Trees039.jpg

July2012Trees046.jpg

AWESOME tramp!!

I worked on a boat up there out of Seward, we would go in to Valdez for water and fuel every so often fishing out at entrance point. that must be a good wayd from home for you- great area though. I miss salt water.

July2012Trees049.jpg

If I post any duplicates, sorry.
July2012Trees062.jpg

This is Sitka spruce. old growth. These ran 32-26" on the stump. I topped them between 70 and 85' up. then chunked them down to 20 some feet. I used my Jonsred 2150 for a climbing saw. on the first one I also had to use the 460 Stihl w/32" bar .. had a 18" bar on the jred. Probably not the perfect saws. but they got the job done pretty good.

AWESOME tramp!!

I worked on a boat up there out of Seward, we would go in to Valdez for water and fuel every so often fishing out at entrance point. that must be a good wayd from home for you- great area though. I miss salt water.

Hammer ; When were u in Seward? I was stationed there in 80-82 on the Cape Jellison.
I cut timber there for Afognak Log in 92 . turned Forest Acres into Clearcut acres. :msp_rolleyes:

Good lookin timber! Is there alot of wood on that site that is that size? Do you all have the dreaded Ash Borer there yet? I know it has hit southern Ohio and parts of my beloved home state of KY. We have very few ash trees in my area of the state. I think I have got one on our 135 acres. But they are everywhere up in S. Ohio.

Nice job on whackin' and stackin',

Tom

Pat stretching the 66's legs.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sRiuljvNRTs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Latest posts

Back