Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good lookin timber! Is there alot of wood on that site that is that size? Do you all have the dreaded Ash Borer there yet? I know it has hit southern Ohio and parts of my beloved home state of KY. We have very few ash trees in my area of the state. I think I have got one on our 135 acres. But they are everywhere up in S. Ohio.

Nice job on whackin' and stackin',

Tom

Lots of big timer on the site. Right now I am clearing a 50' easment thats a mile and quater long on state land to get to 240 acres of private land. Once I get the road made a processer will come in and get the small to medium size wood. There is a ton of wood that will have to be hand cut which im looking forward to. Some of the maples are over 40" dbh.
The ash borer has hit pretty hard in last year. The ones im cutting now do not have it yet. It would only be a matter of time though. Its going to be a sad day to see all the ash trees gone. Hows the timber industry in KY? What kind of wood do you maily cut?

Pat stretching the 66's legs.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sRiuljvNRTs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oh my, how the Ugly Dog's little helper moves like a crab louse in the bush! I feel so slooooooow.

It's got it's ups and downs it is doing pretty decent right now, we need some rain though. Let the mills get caught up some. Or I am afraid that quotas, price cuts or shutdowns are on the way. The mill closest to my place (about 10 miles away) has already shut down for a 8 week period after being swamped with storm damaged timber. We are cutting ALOT of blowdown timber right now, the tornado in March uprooted hundreds of acres of timber. I can't wait to see and cut some standing timber again!! We cut mostly poplar, red, white, black and chestnut oak, and hickory. We have got our share of pines too, white, southern yellow and black. But the pine market is terrible around here, maybe 150 a thousand for good big (30"+) white pine. I live south of Morehead Ky, "The hardwood capital of the world!" At least that's what the signs goin in and outta town say.

Tom

It's got it's ups and downs it is doing pretty decent right now, we need some rain though. Let the mills get caught up some. Or I am afraid that quotas, price cuts or shutdowns are on the way. The mill closest to my place (about 10 miles away) has already shut down for a 8 week period after being swamped with storm damaged timber. We are cutting ALOT of blowdown timber right now, the tornado in March uprooted hundreds of acres of timber. I can't wait to see and cut some standing timber again!! We cut mostly poplar, red, white, black and chestnut oak, and hickory. We have got our share of pines too, white, southern yellow and black. But the pine market is terrible around here, maybe 150 a thousand for good big (30"+) white pine. I live south of Morehead Ky, "The hardwood capital of the world!" At least that's what the signs goin in and outta town say.

Tom

No fun to be had in blow down. Guess it's fun to get through a day of it though without getting ####ed up.

No doubt!

To date (in this particular boundary) I have only suffered two cracked metatarsal bones in my hand due to a bad fall from 8' while topping a big white oak, and a pretty hardcore sprained ankle from finding a small furry critters vacated subterranean home under a red oak top! Doin pretty good so far, hey I haven't had to go to the doc's office or hospital yet:msp_wink:

I hope I didn't just jinx myself!

Tom

Tom

Things are the same here in northern MO.
One of the close big mills is hiring our family operated mill to pick up there slack.
150/thousand isnt bad for just cutting, espeacially when alot of it is going for house cants (3x8) and ties. Quick money.

Seems things are picking up though, alot of mills shutting off loggers. But alot of mills getting swamped with orders and logs!

Back