Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whatever, a faller wants to be able to look throught the stand and readily SEE the marked trees (ours were usually the leave trees too). A bold slash on the downhill and uphill side. More paint, more cost, yes. Better, we sure thought so.

Yup. I wish more people would key into that. They don't seem to realize that we may not fall the trees in exactly the same order as they marked them and our view angles can be a lot different.

Maybe Slowp could start a Tree Marker's School.

Lots of marking crews have little woods experience because they are wanna be foresters in school doing a summer job.

In this area, we already have the solution to whining by loggers about timber marking quality.

They do it now.

The Forest Service here no longer employs a marking crew. The contract describes what is wanted and the purchaser is responsible to make that happen. You don't have to mark it. The outcome is what is important. One retired FS guy has a part time job marking timber sales and he does an excellent job--darn near perfect. The same was true for some fallers (from Montaaaaana) who asked me to show them how, I did, and the only error I found was around a tree with BEEEEEEES painted on it. They thought it was great not to pack saws around.

The super secret paint is still used to mark boundaries, wildlife trees, extra trees for logging and so on. The FS now saves money by not hiring markers and not having to buy so much paint, and shoved those costs on the purchasers. :clap:

The retired FS guy taught a class of would be timber markers. I think it was sponsored by the unemployment dept. in Oregon. All the students decided it was too hard of work, and the class produced no markers.

Bunch of sissies.

Pretty soon going to work will be too hard of work to do.

:monkey:

Well, I would put it as right up there with setting chokers, maybe even more of an aerobic workout. One doesn't have to carry blocks and lines around but one starts out the day with several quarts of paint...here we carried a case and thank goodness I wasn't on the marking crew here all the time. Those folks all have back problems or had at some time.

You are moving up and down all day long. I worked on steep forests and could eat anything and any amount of food and not gain any weight. In fact, since we didn't work in the winter, I'd put on weight when we stopped and then come spring, 20 pounds would fall off...that's how we worked.

But now I wish that I knew more about logging when I was marking. I could have made things a bit easier.

The marking crew was an entry level job.

You NEVER told anybody what you did for a living. If you were in the bars around loggers, and they found out what you did, there would be constant, "Why do you guys do this? Why did you have to do that?"

What with all the fear of the chemicals, and we marked with lead based paint back in the day, it is The Job Nobody Wants To Do.

I put my foot down when some wildlife crew folks wanted us timber folks to mark out their salamander buffers. They were deathly afraid of the paint. They went out and marked in hazmat type suits.

In Arizona, we all had Carpal Tunnel problems starting because in that doghair, when we were marking pulp, we were marking 700 to 800 trees per day. The powers that be would not allow Leave Tree Marking to happen. That's why I run a computer mouse with my left hand.

Definitely a good workout and hard work...around here.

Then there are the days were trees pick a number, to get a shot at you.
I've had those days when you good and well that it just wasn't your day and you'd better go home. Better to walk out and go home than to stay, fight against a tree and lose. Generally speaking when this happens you're fatigued and not thinking clearly. Been there, done that, lost my T-shirt.

there is a sticker that I don't know where to get at.

but it has a picture of a real pretty looking skidder, and the text reads.

"DITCH THE #####, LETS GO LOGGING!"

I thought that was a good one. .

Just posted some pictures of today's falls in the McCullough
Chain Saw forum they are on the last page at this point i believe page 627 if anyone would like to see. thanks for all the great pictures just thought i would post a few of mine from today.

Posin' time!

Standing around like a tool in front of a snag I felled today. No pics of the actual falling tho, snags ain't the right time to play around, at least not for me.

studmeister1.jpg

They look like they'd be hot in the summer. Ever try the Labonville chaps that fit on the inside of your pants? They make the pants that they hang into but they're quite expensive. I just cut a 1" hole in the top of the chaps and hang them from my suspenders. You hardly know you're wearing them.

Back