Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They look like they'd be hot in the summer. Ever try the Labonville chaps that fit on the inside of your pants? They make the pants that they hang into but they're quite expensive.

They're not so bad, actually. They breathe, believe it or not, and they're like wearing shorts compared to the too heavy, too baggy and too thick old pants I used.

They're also very comfortable, which they should be. They were very pricy!

Do they provide protection all around the leg or just the front? I remember back in the eighties Stihl had come out with a line of clothing and they had pants that were supposed to give a lot of protection. Problem with them was that they were so bulky you couldn't hardly get up and down the mtns with them. We have a lot of flat ground out here. Problem is it's mostly turned up on end. Light, loose clothing is the preferred workwear just because of the excessive movements on steep ground.
Question? Is that spruce you're cutting? It looks a lot like our Engelmann spruce.

They protect the front, and a bit of the sides, sort of like a uh... ) around the front of the leg. They're snug-fitting and they stretch, so they're not restrictive and I don't snag them on various pieces of brush when I'm walking around.

And yeah, that's a spruce. :)

They look like they'd be hot in the summer. Ever try the Labonville chaps that fit on the inside of your pants? They make the pants that they hang into but they're quite expensive. I just cut a 1" hole in the top of the chaps and hang them from my suspenders. You hardly know you're wearing them.
Tree Sling'r let me in on that trick, and I've never had any problem with them sliding around inside my pants.

Tree Sling'r let me in on that trick, and I've never had any problem with them sliding around inside my pants.

Yeah, your knees just kind of conform the chaps to the pant leg. You don't even know you have them on. Real nice in the winter time. I do like the fact that you don't get hung up on buckles in the brush. The exterior type also tend to pull down on the lower part of my back. It's probably from problems in the front, not the back. Since I've not been cutting steadily I've tended to build quite a roof over my tool shed.

They look like they'd be hot in the summer. Ever try the Labonville chaps that fit on the inside of your pants? They make the pants that they hang into but they're quite expensive. I just cut a 1" hole in the top of the chaps and hang them from my suspenders. You hardly know you're wearing them.

Is this instead of the snaps as on the Madsen's jeans, or are you talking about real chaps hung inside the pants? Maybe the Labonville inserts are different?

I'm referring to the Labonville inserts that they make the pants for. They're incorporated with snaps and a pouch to facilitate holding the chaps to the pant leg. Instead of buying the expensive pants with the snaps, I poke a hole in the top of the chaps and hang them on the inside of my pants. They do just fine and you don't even know you're wearing them. Like all chaps they get a little warm in the summer but they're tolerable and you don't feel like you're wearing another pair of pants over your jeans. I believe you can get them in different lengths for longer legs.

I'm referring to the Labonville inserts that they make the pants for. They're incorporated with snaps and a pouch to facilitate holding the chaps to the pant leg. Instead of buying the expensive pants with the snaps, I poke a hole in the top of the chaps and hang them on the inside of my pants. They do just fine and you don't even know you're wearing them. Like all chaps they get a little warm in the summer but they're tolerable and you don't feel like you're wearing another pair of pants over your jeans. I believe you can get them in different lengths for longer legs.

I wear the Madsen's version already, with the snaps, but the suspender idea is good in case I want to us them in other pants. I put a flap and some snaps in a pair of tin pants, but next pair, won't have to.

Only time I cut my leg was when I was wearing chaps.

I thought chain brakes were a nuisance as well.

I adapted.

I have never been cut by a moving chain, anywhere.
However, I do have a lengthy list of other little faux pas.
Not that I would admit to all of them.
I do remember stabbing myself just above the knee, with bucking spikes.
I later caught a magneto charge in the same spot, both were with the same saw.

I was only cut once, when my 2100 kicked back on me. Just got the middle finger on my left hand. Very lucky. A lesson in not brushing out around the stump. I have however had a few humorous close calls. Like Randy I had an Alder drive a log dog into my thigh.

I'll have to lay claim with you on the saw cuts, too. I've never been cut either by a moving chain. Your comment about the magneto brings back a funny memory.
One very rainy day I was falling down on the South Toutle river. I was raining harder than a cow peeing on a flat rock. I was running an 090 with a 50" bar. As my choice of saw dates me, this was before the days of nice, light, fast, powerful polymer saws.
Anyway, I had an older gentleman bucking for me. He had a belly like a bowl of jello and no teeth on his upper jaw. Great guy and when he laughed everything shook.
That 090 had a spark plug cover that had been ripped and you had to be careful not to touch it. As I said, the only way I could have been wetter is if I'd been bigger.
Apparently my chain must have been getting a little dull because as I was putting in a face cut in a nice fir I had to push on it to get where I needed to be. I stepped up to the saw and applied pressure not thinking about that plug cap. That thing lit me up like a Christmas tree. My pardner just stood there and bounced up and down laughing so hard. Those 090s packed a powerful spark for sure.

I thought chaps were for Montany cowboys.

I've heard San Fransisco cowboys wear them too.

nw axe man

Do they provide protection all around the leg or just the front? I remember back in the eighties Stihl had come out with a line of clothing and they had pants that were supposed to give a lot of protection. Problem with them was that they were so bulky you couldn't hardly get up and down the mtns with them. We have a lot of flat ground out here. Problem is it's mostly turned up on end. Light, loose clothing is the preferred workwear just because of the excessive movements on steep ground.
Question? Is that spruce you're cutting? It looks a lot like our Engelmann spruce.

ChrisF is a Norwegian. And Norway, that's steep. I wonder how they find enough flat spots to place their beer glasses the way they won't spill...

Last edited:
Back