Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and an [honest] 8 footer at the end of the job.

attachment.php

You know you're not helping my "Cut **** down" addiction right? :laugh:

Well no 8' s for me only a load of Sitka Spruce and a few pine so I'm about to start de gunging saws then myself as I seem to be sticking to everything, I'm still down at the yard waiting for the Friday night traffic to die down as I've got about 3 tons of milled Douglas to deliver for a roof on my way home !

Well, it's Friday night, where's the coterie of ne'er do wells
Nate? Sam? Bob? Randy?

I'm already half in the bag, who's with me?

Just got in from Bridger Crick. 4 hour drive home sucked. East of the divide fir growing straight up the hill at 7600 feet really sucked. I mean sucked. Trying to cripple your way up the hill....waiting for that one going down the hill to set it all off.....not happening......Oktoberfest in the fridge. God damn I'm a whiner ain't I :tongue2: Good to be working though.

Hope you all had a good week - Sam

Just got in from Bridger Crick. 4 hour drive home sucked. East of the divide fir growing straight up the hill at 7600 feet really sucked. I mean sucked. Trying to cripple your way up the hill....waiting for that one going down the hill to set it all off.....not happening......Oktoberfest in the fridge. God damn I'm a whiner ain't I :tongue2: Good to be working though.

Hope you all had a good week - Sam

4 hour drive blows, you hotel'ed up there during the week right?
what kind o beer is oktoberfest, by the way, how was grouse hunting?

Bayern Oktoberfest. Grouse hunting was slow, good to get the dog out though. She had a ball. We'll try again Sunday morning.

Well, it's Friday night, where's the coterie of ne'er do wells
Nate? Sam? Bob? Randy?

I'm already half in the bag, who's with me?

Well, I 'm sitting in a marginal hotel in a former hometown, wife's out with the crew for a baby shower, I am parenting, fortunately the liquor store next door had some cheap deals on some Magnums.

Sam, I'm on a FSC job now, I have a target basal area and a target prescription, the rest is up to me. When it comes to leave trees, every one is either
1. leaning up the hill
2. has some POS dead sketch-o hanger in it
3. is a cull (i.ee wildlife i.e. heritage tree)
4. is under the minimum diameter
5. Is a nice tree left so that every leave tree doesn't look like 1 2 3 or 4.

Its been a pretty killer job with ripe not oversize timber. I'll try and sneak some pics next week, why not.

Sounds very familiar Joe. I had the last strip in the unit today....they allow for compensation.....today's strip was pretty nice....I mowed it. Left a lot in the last strip....all good in my eyes. Gotta take it when you can get it.

I think we have all done it.

I was curious about it affecting scale.

I try to stay & saw all the way through. Not always possible, as you probably know.

Sadly, this wood is going export. The quality control guys said the buyers will be concerned with the clean cutting on the outside, and the heartwood with the knots will end up being mostly cull or pulp. I fell it with a 42" bar, put in an undercut deeper than bar length and bored through it, and strapped it. Missed a bit of the middle. The helicopter was on its way to pick me up. The tree had barely settled and I was running to the pad. I admit that bit of pull is somewhat shoddy workmanship, but I wouldn't say its the end of the world. I posted the picture because an 8 foot diameter spruce isn't something we run into every day. I welcome constructive criticism. It's hard to read attitudes over the internet but I took your comment as a bit of a smart-ass comment. If that wasn't the intention, then my mistake.

This isn't related to your post, but in general I'm always hesitant to be a part of forums like this or post things on youtube only to be harassed by amateurs or weekend warriors with resumes built on embellished half truths telling guys how they should have done things.

Last edited:
Tell me about it, pard! The day after tomorrow I'll start a park gig - do you say in America "a walk in the park" meaning a job done smooth and easy? Well, logging in a park, that's #### timber, dog #### to lay your saw on everywhere and #### bums and #### retired people (I beg your pardon, Mrs P) walking their ###### dogs and stuffing #### in the poor logger's #####.

Gavin, it's not that I'm envious or something, but I just googled "apply for Canadian citizenship".

Sam

I've worked with a few guys that have moved here from Europe. I imagine there's a headache of paperwork involved though.

This isn't related to your post, but in general I'm always hesitant to be a part of forums like this or post things on youtube only to be harassed by amateurs or weekend warriors with resumes built on embellished half truths telling guys how they should have done things.[/QUOTE]

Don't hesitate to post pics here, I for one enjoy them. It's nice to see someone is getting some nice timber somewhere. Always a few jackasses around, but they usually get run off quick.

Looked like good work to me, I never let a pot-licker Monday moring quarterback my work. Keep posting the pics, beautiful country you got there - Sam

This isn't related to your post, but in general I'm always hesitant to be a part of forums like this or post things on youtube only to be harassed by amateurs or weekend warriors with resumes built on embellished half truths telling guys how they should have done things.

Don't hesitate to post pics here, I for one enjoy them. It's nice to see someone is getting some nice timber somewhere. Always a few jackasses around, but they usually get run off quick.

Looked like good work to me, I never let a pot-licker Monday moring quarterback my work. Keep posting the pics, beautiful country you got there - Sam[/QUOTE]

i agree sam. but we are all alittle bit of smart asses around here. comes with the terottry , just sort threw the trolls. ;). keep them coming gavin.

Back