Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been in some nice spruce lately.

A spruce from yesterday. Even boring through the undercut couldn't get a small post in the middle. Luckily the pull didn't go in very deep.
attachment.php

Just noticed that you have the same pack as I do......those things are awesome, huh?

Sadly, this wood is going export. The quality control guys said they buyers will be concerned with the clean cutting on the outside, and the heartwood with the knots ends will end up being mostly cull or pulp. I fell it with a 42" bar, put in an undercut deeper than bar length and bored through it, and strapped it. Missed a bit of the middle. The helicopter was on its way to pick me up. The tree had barely settled and I was running to the pad. I admit that bit of pull is somewhat shoddy workmanship, but I wouldn't say its the end of the world. I posted the picture because an 8 foot diameter spruce isn't something we run into every day. I welcome constructive criticism. It's hard to read attitudes over the internet but I took your comment as a bit of a smart-ass comment. If that wasn't the intention, then my mistake.

This isn't related to your post, but in general I'm always hesitant to be a part of forums like this or post things on youtube only to be harassed by amateurs or weekend warriors with resumes built on embellished half truths telling guys how they should have done things.

Is the export tied to fewer mills, stumpage versus delivered costs, changing demand for species, or off shore overbidding ? By way of interest there is another thread going where there seems to be regional variations some of which is high stumpage pinching delivered log prices. Just interested in your take up there. Thanks for the photos. Lee

I was simply referring to losing scale.

As I stated, we have all done it at some time or another.

Just noticed that you have the same pack as I do......those things are awesome, huh?

Yeah they're tough and pretty waterproof. Switzerland army surplus. Lots of guys up here use them.

Is the export tied to fewer mills, stumpage versus delivered costs, changing demand for species, or off shore overbidding ? By way of interest there is another thread going where there seems to be regional variations some of which is high stumpage pinching delivered log prices. Just interested in your take up there. Thanks for the photos. Lee

My understanding is that it's just a quicker, easier dollar, and also easier to sell. The companies don't have to deal with the work of milling and selling the lumber and they don't have to fight with softwood tariffs. I also understand that China/Japan/USA will pay a little more for the nice wood than domestic mills will. I personally think selling them raw is short term thinking and a quick buck for speculators and I don't really like to see the jobs and added value go overseas, but I'm not paid to make these kind of decisions.

I was simply referring to losing scale.

As I stated, we have all done it at some time or another.

Roger.

My understanding is that it's just a quicker, easier dollar, and also easier to sell. I personally think selling them raw is short term thinking and a quick buck for speculators and I don't really like to see the jobs and added value go overseas, but I'm not paid to make these kind of decisions.

Well said. We export quite a bit from California also. I think that, long term, we're shooting ourselves in the foot.

It's not just the exports, it's also the effin' REITs -- sell timber, sell lumber, sell houses, sell land, wash hands of it all -- it's just a fancy new modern version of "cut and run" where crappy tract houses are left to hide the evidence, and the stockholders make money four times instead of only two. The Private Sector has a few good outfits still, but they're few and far between, and gov't agencies are so hamstrung with their own regulations trying to be everything to everybody that it's a wonder any trees get cut at all. It's a frustrating time to be in this industry.

and gov't agencies are so hamstrung with their own regulations trying to be everything to everybody that it's a wonder any trees get cut at all.

For damn sure.

"I can only please one person per day, and today ain't your day!" How it oughta be. Or turn it over to the public - for real - have a public working forest model.

The gov. forest industry is now trending toward solely being researched based, who's gonna pick up the slack for the operations base?

Can't NOT log. It will always be cheaper to build with wood.

For damn sure.

"I can only please one person per day, and today ain't your day!" How it oughta be. Or turn it over to the public - for real - have a public working forest model.

The gov. forest industry is now trending toward solely being researched based, who's gonna pick up the slack for the operations base?

Can't NOT log. It will always be cheaper to build with wood.

No worries JC, we'll just let the 3rd world countries rape their forests to make up for our lack of production. The enviros won't notice it there.

Not a great pic or a monster tree but I'm posting it up because I'm damn proud. It's my brother in the process of dumping his first tree

0929111224.jpg

Not a great pic or a monster tree but I'm posting it up because I'm damn proud. It's my brother in the process of dumping his first tree

0929111224.jpg

Jake, show your gwasshopper "lefty-righty". If he throttles with the left hand, and handles with the right (from the left side), he can get behind his work a little, and not be crossed up like he is in the pick. . . It's more comfortable, and you can see far side better, as well as about everything else. It'll also help to level the saw, and gun.

It's also good practice to be ambidextrous. :)

Jake, show your gwasshopper "lefty-righty". If he throttles with the left hand, and handles with the right (from the left side), he can get behind his work a little, and not be crossed up like he is in the pick. . . It's more comfortable, and you can see far side better, as well as about everything else. It'll also help to level the saw, and gun.

Oh damn, I never even thought of that but I can see what you're talking about, I'm pretty much a Gween Gwasshoppah myself

also, I kept telling him to level it out a little more (front to back and up and down) but i guess that'll come with more practice, he did seem pretty much jazzed up to be fallin a tree tho, so I may have given my bro a new addiction

Last edited:

That's what I was gonna say.

If he flipped his hands around, he'd be more upright.

As with the undercut, square yo chest up to that tree, boy.

nit picking aren't you? by the time he settled into that stance, the tree would be on the ground.

nit picking aren't you? by the time he settled into that stance, the tree would be on the ground.

Nope, I'm not nitpicking gwasshawpah. You know why Ol Pat will bust a knot in your butt falling timber? Technique. . . Refined technique. . . No wasted movement. You'll be rushing through the woods like a chicken with his head cut off, and you'll still get whooped by technique -- every time.

Why practice the wrong way, when you can practice the right way?

You can't tell me that cutting crossed up is more comfortable, or better. If you have to relearn things in the future, THAT is a big waste of time.

Nope, I'm not nitpicking gwasshawpah. You know why Ol Pat will bust a knot in your butt falling timber? Technique. . . Refined technique. . . No wasted movement. You'll be rushing through the woods like a chicken with his head cut off, and you'll still get whooped by technique -- every time.

Why practice the wrong way, when you can practice the right way?

You can't tell me that cutting crossed up is more comfortable, or better. If you have to relearn things in the future, THAT is a big waste of time.

I don't know what to say, not gonna disrespect cause I don't know you. But, for all practical purposes, you can #### off one or come and show me the proper technique.

I surely had no intention of posting up that pic of my bro to start strife here, I was just proud as hell of him for wanting to step up to the plate and take a swing :(

Back