Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah this saw does not impress me stock, but as soon as I get a rain day that will change.

Get that thing ported. Finally got mine run in a bit this week, and it's pretty damn peppy, torquey ####er. (Had it ported straight out of the box)

Tramp- Thanks for the tip!

Hammer- I was thinking about the Madsens cheapo calk experiment. It'll be interesting to see what holds up. The bar does look and feel like an oregon. I'm planning on adding an extra link the next time I make up chains too. The DL count on the bar is pretty tight. Right now I'm only getting about 27" of actual cutting length.

Sam- I wanted to run a few gallons through er to make sure its all good to go. I ordered the 288 deflector with the saw and bought some new dremel bits the week before it came. The guy at the shop thought it was funnier than hell that I'd tear apart a brand new saw right away. I've got probably 6 gallons through it, now I just need a rain day.

On another note, I went cheap and am on the Red Dawg calks expirament. 3 or so weeks in and feeling like it is a good $200 saved from the Wescos I usually buy, we'll see by month 7.

They're pretty good. Not Wesco quality but they're worth the money. I got a pair and wore them about six months while my Wescos were being built. I didn't baby them and they held up a lot better than I thought they would.

I think a guy could get a couple of seasons out of them.

I think alot of the deal with the inexpensive vorks holding up is how much a guy weighs . And how much time he spends on steep ground . I started wearing #2 redwood screw in about in 92 . Maybe earlier . They put more stress on the boot . But , when you put your foot down they stay where you put them

My Buffalos handled them real well . Mine had the Neolite sole . The Viberg 105 T s like the #2 also . . I have been using 0 corks in them as I don't need very long nails in the Copper Basin .

I tried the longer Redwood spikes once...that was enough. They actually felt like they were digging in too good and it seemed like that made it hard to move fast on top of the log. Plus, they seemed to load up with junk to the point where I had what amounted to another sole on the boot....usually one boot more than the other. That made it great for walking on sidehills but not much else.
Working on rocky ground they wore down awful fast, too. I had them for a couple of weeks and maybe that wasn't enough time for a fair trial but I just never did feel like I could get around as well, or as quickly, as I could on the shorter spikes.

Besides...there's only about three days when the spikes are "just right" anyway...when they're brand new they're too sharp and when they're too old they're too dull. :biggrin: But for those three days you're real catty.

I know what you mean by them being , just right . In closed canopy cutting the single ought worked great . , but in the snag patches . :cool2: good money , the huckl+ blue berrys are so thick you would have to cut a trail t get thru . As it rains pretty much every day and everything is slick , I found the #2 s worked best . Only fall down 50 times a day instead of 100 . .

Time for a falling pic

scan0004-2.jpg

I'll post this one of Tarzan Trees. He had a rope holding it on one side, which you'll see him undo. Funky Sawman is standing by ready to work a comealong. I think a siswheel is in the making.

[video=youtube_share;UsujakH-xvw]http://youtu.be/UsujakH-xvw[/video]

I played around takin pics. fallin. limbing + bucking probably 25 minutes. I should have put a humbolt in it. got chewed out pretty good. I thot it was going to come apart when it hit the ground. it was all wolfy topped. but it saved out. and was hard solid at 26,'10"" I was gonna take a snag and a riggin cut for it.
It was about 11' perp. to the hinge. I think I only got 6 or 7 bushel out of it. @,5.50$ a bushel. even playin around I beat a buck a minute.

Back