Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you V out that ses or just open it with a chunk straight out of the face? Pretty ash!

attachment.php

View attachment 247352

Bitzer. That fox was dead wasn't it? ????? . Good looking cutting. Hows the 390 holding up? ?

It was a coon and yeah he looked a little crispy. Must've gotten stuck on the way out. Thanks! I don't think I will ever use anything smaller to fall timber ever again!

you must work alone a lot cause carrying exter fuel and refreshments seems like a bung load of more work when you could just have a groundie do it for you, its that or I really wouldn't want to poke you in the eye in a dark alley:poke:

Really aren't a lot of guys who'd want to poke me. I don't bring extra fuel up the tree. Thats what pimps are for. The bottles are for cutting. Saves a lot or walking. No sense walking when I could be cutting.

Really aren't a lot of guys who'd want to poke me. I don't bring extra fuel up the tree. Thats what pimps are for. The bottles are for cutting. Saves a lot or walking. No sense walking when I could be cutting.

Yep when you can cut your way back to your jugs it works pretty slick. You always seem to run out of fuel when you're waist deep in brush and about to finish your last buck or two.

Nice bottle set up and nice pics by the way! I made a new wedge pouch this week and have three bottles hanging from ropes on my wedge belt. I'll get a pic up when I can. I have a spare chain and bar wrench along with 3-4 wedges in it. Keeping everything at your finger tips really keeps the rhythm going. To me thats a big thing. Seems like when you can just keep hammering you get a lot more done. When you have to #### around looking for your jugs and gear you start throwing chains and pinching and all kinds of stupid bs.

The 390 is at 100mbf and counting (200bf tree average remember). 100 cords too. What I meant to spit out last night was I will never use anything less than the 390/660 class of saws to fall timber again.

Nice pics Bitz....I'm really sold on my 390 also. Hope they keep them around for a while, I'll be buying more for sure.

Nice pics Bitz....I'm really sold on my 390 also. Hope they keep them around for a while, I'll be buying more for sure.

I have a guy cutting for me who just bought one, now that he ported the #### out of the muffler its really nice. Noticeably less power than the 660, but a sweet light nimble saw. Feels like a 460 but way more pwer than that. Pretty sweet.

Got my new 660, and I am pleased.

I have a guy cutting for me who just bought one, now that he ported the #### out of the muffler its really nice. Noticeably less power than the 660, but a sweet light nimble saw. Feels like a 460 but way more pwer than that. Pretty sweet.

I'd have to dispute the noticbly less power part! Just the other day I tried out a guy's walkerized 660 that my 390 would out cut! If only the 390's could put up the abuse a 660 will take they'd be pretty much perfect.

I'd have to dispute the noticbly less power part! Just the other day I tried out a guy's walkerized 660 that my 390 would out cut! If only the 390's could put up the abuse a 660 will take they'd be pretty much perfect.

May well be true and I wouldn't mind running one a bit!

Glad you are happy with the 66 Joe. Shan does nice work that lasts. Now that I've had 66's and a 390 ported by him, I think the 390 is a hair behind in stump power....just a titch. Those 66's do have some stump power...I just like the nimbleness of the 390 when it comes to limbing.....But I'm only 5-11 and 150lbs....kind of a dink.

.Well, this is kindof a eat humble pie post. But it should be good for Weber Custom.
On Friday I was cutting fiber optic line r.o.w. here in Glennallen. I klum, hung pulling lines in 8 small Silver Poplars then had the guys tug on them while I fell them with one of the company. 460 Huskies .
Then cut some more. Fist thing in the morning I fell 1 larger White Spruce with my 460 Stihl. The one with the Weber Custom full wrap h.b. No wind, good lean but close to the power lines. I had left it Thursday because if the wind.
So lunch tine came and I went up to where my wife works so we could have lunch together. The 460 Stihl was in the back of the wife's Geo Tracker.

So I put the dog out + the wife and I have lunch. Part way thru lunch I set the 460 on the roof so I could load the dog up. Finished lunch , wife hopped out , I fired up the car and take off back toward work . The 2 guys I was working with were driving back at the same time. So kinda thick me thought we'd zoom back to work. The one behind me kept honking his horn, I thot I needed to go faster. So about the time I go thru 50 MPH I hear some scraping on the car roof hear a noise on the hwy. I look in the mirror and see the saw spinning line a top and sliding down the highway. It was sitting upright spinning like a top. I had a 32" b+c on it. .

Because of the flat bottom of the h.b. it sits flat. It must have landed on the filler cap side of the tank cause the tank and cap are broke

Glen, that sucks pard!!

I sure hope that wrap helped in some way from the saw being totally junked.

Can't be much harder on a saw than a 50 mile an hour ride down some asphalt. :msp_scared:

You should post in the swap thread and see if someone has a tank.

Up here we call that a Johnny-hold-me-tight

What do you guys call a dutchman? Humboldt? Conventional? Just curious. Its interesting to hear all of the logging lingo out there. I swear I've talked to several guys about the same things, but neither one of us knew what we were talking about.

On the saws- Stihls have that immediate snap to em and I do like how they feel in the hands. Huskys have a little wind up, but they run smooth as silk.

Let me see what I have for pics up loaded.
IMG_20120801_125525.jpg
This is a Humboldt undercut. With a snipe. I put a big deep face on this as it was the stob. I quartered it up the hill to get it to roll down the hill and the butt to turn the log as it rolled .. didn't want to put a thousand bird foot log thru the wall of the warehouse below. The snipe helped the butt to drop sooner.

Here if a butt log that shows the siswheel. You can see the cutter line where I put in the Humboldt, but I also had a kerf Dutchman in so the tree would settle into it so it would swing. I had put a step in the Dutchman so it would continue to settle in and swing.
IMG_20120320_155820.jpg

Last edited:
Back