Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fashionistas take note.

I noticed today that fallers have switched to summer wear. The sleeveless hickory shirt is in--sleeves torn off, of course. Looks like hemlines are high this year on the pants--no hems, of course. Pant legs are stagged off just below the knees. As always, the apres work Romeos are never out of style.

tmp_whippyPeckerPolesWeb-1009781096.jpgBefore running out of trees, I got to trying the 'wedge pocket' idea as I'm calling it now. Worked well, thanks. Fortunately, the real skinny ones, that would have bugger all holding wood left if I used this method were all on the ground. In the end, on a few, I persuaded with PTO winch when wind got up too much. All wood being piled and burned so stumps could look ugly, fibre pull was OK, and I had to steer 'em into one of two piles or spend ages winching them into the piles. Oh, and fence lines, save trees, and a track dotted about the place too.
Here's a photo of a few to show the sails on the end of the long masts.
Only burning the lot so don't laugh at the stumps or busted tops. Well, OK, laugh all you want. :)

Radiata Pine, never measured heights or dbh but latter varied massively. Put it this way, I was using the 16" bar on my 241 for some of 'em, and others my 32" on 7900

Pick your lay , examin the lean , branch weight and asses any rot in tree , remember a tree can fall 3 ways with out out to much work, but some times trying to get it to fall the 4"th way can be a real **** show and ****in dangerous.

Back cut first , shallow steep face . Set up with wedges( slide wedge in from side. this will give you more lift with out bottoming out).
Repeat.
If no luck ....

Step back gun your pusher tree and let drive. Why pound the piss outta wedges in small timber when you only have so much room before they bottom out. Im sure you played Domanoe's as a kid right...lol... On a serious note tho , if you have no experience pushing timber .. DONT DO IT..
Have fun be safe.

Pick your lay , examin the lean , branch weight and asses any rot in tree , remember a tree can fall 3 ways with out out to much work, but some times trying to get it to fall the 4"th way can be a real **** show and ****in dangerous.

Back cut first , shallow steep face . Set up with wedges( slide wedge in from side. this will give you more lift with out bottoming out).
Repeat.
If no luck ....

Step back gun your pusher tree and let drive. Why pound the piss outta wedges in small timber when you only have so much room before they bottom out. Im sure you played Domanoe's as a kid right...lol... On a serious note tho , if you have no experience pushing timber .. DONT DO IT..
Have fun be safe.
Ahhh...u'r talking about kiwibro's pecker poles. When I thought you were offering Jolly advice, I was thinking that he already had the situation pretty much under control...

Ahhh...u'r talking about kiwibro's pecker poles. When I thought you were offering Jolly advice, I was thinking that he already had the situation pretty much under control...
Maybe he was calling Jolly out to domino the three trees through that gate? That, I would probably pay to see.

But yes, I did domino a few when was safe to do so, but if there is any doubt, I'm happy to put a cable on 'em.

Latest posts

Back