Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what kinds of timber do you have there and what is it used for?
mostly spruce, fir, oak, beech,ash, pine.... we are a small country but we have high logging and export in the EU. more than 50% of the country are forrests. ist used as lumber wood mostly(spruce, beech. oak in good quality). bad wood is mostly used for cellulose. sorry for my bad english

mostly spruce, fir, oak, beech,ash, pine.... we are a small country but we have high logging and export in the EU. more than 50% of the country are forrests. ist used as lumber wood mostly(spruce, beech. oak in good quality). bad wood is mostly used for cellulose. sorry for my bad english
no problem, i understand you fine. so no veneer market for your oak then? veneer is peeler logs.

beech veneer? come on over, we'll make a fortune lol. i remember when we couldn't give beech away, now they buy it for matts and pallet stock.......might go for ties as well. i have cut plenty of 40" solid beech here.

pink? naw.............well can y'all give me some pros and cons of the full brim vs the cap style? also plastic and aluminum............there have been times i felt like i prolly should have something on my head, i am slowing down a bit. also, how adjustable are they and are there differences in weights and diameter?

Full brim aluminum only for me with the style suspension in it, they aren't that heavy and don't take long to get used to, it's lighter then my dad's old Mac that's been painted I don't know how many times and we should replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Mac T's have a harder aluminium then the skull bucket imports, but the mac T's are no longer up to code? And when they get dented your supposed to replace them, it doesn't happen often...

The plastic hats are heavy, or you can go cheap and get a thinner one that won't do any good and still be heavier than an aluminium hat. Like others have said the full brim sits well. Doesn't work its way forward, though it can works its way back while looking up alot...

As far as suspension goes, the older hats had a straight head band and adjustable height, which is nice if you like the hat sitting low. The newer suspension I've found has the stirrup? that goes around the back of yer noggin, on one hand its nice as it helps keep the hat on yer head when looking down, on the other its gets squirshed in the crummy and wears out. My most recent suspension has been modified to sit a little lower, I have a ginourmous mellon holder so when all the way out it feels like a yarmulke (jewish brain cover) so I lower it a bit to keep the lid on... and it looks cool yo... basically I just unstiched the original stitching and restitched it where I wanted it to be... took like 20 minutes.

By rights the suspension should be replaced every time you get a good wallup, I've broken at least one set, (and in reality the current one is broke too).

The full brim is good for keeping stuff from falling down the back of your shirt, crud getting in your ears and when working in close proximity to another saw you can use it to keep his chips out of your clothing.

Its also handier for scooping water if you ever get the chance to fight a fire with just a hard hat...

One last pro to a full brim, they fly a lot better when you need to chuck it at something, the ball cap style tend to teeter and wobble, while the full brims will sail like a frisbee.
Mac's aren't to code here in Oregon that I know of but they are harder, I have a skull bucket well it's my second first one saved my butt to say the least if they take a good hit they should be replaced. When that hit happened it popped the rivets out of the aluminum piece on the top of the hat so they do take a good hit.

Spent the day in the woods thinning trees to help with maintanace. As always, the falling is the fun part. Started with a 25" beech. It was gonna hit a leave tree, but luckily I hit the one I wanted to hit, and more luckily, the leave tree bent a ridiculous amount, but didn't break. Several trees later I had a 12" with a lot of top lean, going back up hill. I was feeling my oats, so I tried to face it down hill and turn it about 130 degrees from the back.............Nope, even with a wedge I couldn't get it started. Since there was nothing behind I nipped the face and let it follow gravity. Not as easy as y'all make it look. Spent the next 4 hours making a burn pile in a downpour. Special thanks to Mike Lee for the ported 288. That thing absolutely screams. I made a video, but the phone ran out of memory.

Jon, try to not do that if you can help it. many times if you bend an oak like that it is cracked badly even if you can't see it.

its not easy my friend, i turned three big poplars but i decided to not push my luck on a fourth........it would reach the road and power lines.

Jon, try to not do that if you can help it. many times if you bend an oak like that it is cracked badly even if you can't see it.

its not easy my friend, i turned three big poplars but i decided to not push my luck on a fourth........it would reach the road and power lines.
Ya, there was no way to not hit another tree. I figured it would get flattened. It's not in an area where people will be walking much. I will give it a close look this weekend. Thanks

2d0b7ba7f0fff5386d2f8d4c1e588257.jpg
b10413148623457f1062fa52d4d3d8b8.jpg
9bf91acdb63802b584f618c22be8e07c.jpg
8521c030fd5a06f873f3db5d59d43f4c.jpg
ce2036e2b9f3ebc729facdd119f6a17f.jpg
ee08df91a3e92b5fa445e6562692dba4.jpg
fe4b4dafa05078c8697ad769d929e3af.jpg

Latest posts

Back