Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
474ed5de61878ee66d924b375d5ec093.jpg

Not a falling pic but it's a forestry application for a sprayer boom.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Yep we put a log loader on as many as possible not worth someone getting hurt or worse killed.

I've should've known by the high cab, obviously I'm not around the big equipment a lot. The guy in the cab has cut some blowdown I'll bet.

Anyone have pictures of their spring boards?

IMG_20130701_111800.jpg IMG_20130701_111800.jpg
If I built another one I would add some angle iron to the front and carry it down the side a little. This would take some of the spring out of it. If you have a good notch in the tree you can hop up on the board and move it around some by pulling it with the toe of your corks.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Some cutting work around a friends house today. Cedar was one the worst I have cut on for clogging up the bar and chain with pitch and bark had to end up cutting all the bark off with my little saw to finish the backcut.

I’m trespassing over here in the falling thread to post proof of the blind squirrel theory of falling.

Now I know most of you can probably do this blindfolded on a windy day but it made a good ending to a good day consisting of mostly pulling small stems with the little Deere, few tanks of bucking and five or so falls. I cut an 18” hickory that had too many bends for me to figure the lean so I said what the heck let’s see if I can put it where I want – I picked one of my many high stumps as a target .

Result:

IMG_1342.JPG IMG_1347.JPG IMG_1350.JPG

Did you see my stump? Look again just beyond the last crossed stem.

Still can't see it? Well before you double up your readers, check this photo:

IMG_1348.JPG Ron

I’m trespassing over here in the falling thread to post proof of the blind squirrel theory of falling.

Now I know most of you can probably do this blindfolded on a windy day but it made a good ending to a good day consisting of mostly pulling small stems with the little Deere, few tanks of bucking and five or so falls. I cut an 18” hickory that had too many bends for me to figure the lean so I said what the heck let’s see if I can put it where I want – I picked one of my many high stumps as a target .

Result:

View attachment 492984 View attachment 492985 View attachment 492986

Did you see my stump? Look again just beyond the last crossed stem.

Still can't see it? Well before you double up your readers, check this photo:

View attachment 492989 Ron

its almost like you know what yer doing...

Nice shot

its almost like you know what yer doing...

Thanks.

To keep matters in context, let me share another true story - more than half my life ago, I owned a well worn Browning 9mm High Power with fixed sights. On a one shot challenge from my brother I shot a daytime skunk with it at 117 yards. A few years later, same deal - I hit a 6" rock at 100 yards. Later I traded it. Why? Those shots were just flukes - ordinarily with that pistol, I had difficulty keeping a clip load within a paper plate at 25 feet. Not saying that I am not a decent shot nor a fair firewood hack - just the fall is not representative.

With that said, I am getting better with practice and all the useful stuff discussed around here. Still wouldn't make a good logger - look at that fiber pull. And I forgot to trim it.

Ron

Ron that'll make saw logs ya know! You posted a cherry a week or so ago that would too. Trim that fiber off the stump tho! I have a fear of tripping and impaling myself on the stump whiskers. Otherwise it feels damn good when something goes yer way!

Bitzer, I know about as much about saw logs as a gnat. On the cherry, if they don't have a straight of at least 8' on 12" and up I cut them. However, we didn't make firewood of them, we gave the main stems to a guy with a band sawmill as he said for his personal use he could go as short as 4'. Pulling them out is what took a lot of my time yesterday. That hickory I had left previously, but after reading our NC forestry plan for my dad's old farm. I reconsider the tree as being of little commercial value given the bends and the species. Would make a lot of hoe handles though.

Now that I am more familiar with the site, to my ignorant eye it looks to have only a dozen or so nice straight oaks and hickories - the rest is all poplar; all of which we are leaving unless it in in our way.

I asked earlier but got no reply, generally what is the smallest diameter that would constitute a hardwood saw log?

Thanks, Ron

With cherry my mill will take down to 9". Most other species 10". 12" to make a tie. These are all small ends obviously. Hickory is a middle of the road species here. Maybe $4-500 per mbf for number ones. Cherry is more like $7-800 for ones. Its looks like you could have gotten some lengths out of that hickory and cherry. I bet there is a couple of tens, maybe tweleves to the first bend in the hickory and maybe a tie log or number 3 sawlog after that. You'd be surprised when you cut a twisted stem into short logs they can actually make decent sawlogs. If you buck em in the right places of course. Just givin you a heads up. Don't want to see you get bitched at for taking merch wood.

Bitzer, I took a little inventory today. Of course I don't know what I am doing, but for what it is worth.

Not counting the wasted 18" on the stump, the hickory has just over 8' before the first "bend" (1st pic.). If that bend doesn't count then you have 12' from butt to the next bend (2nd pic.). Then you are into frequent bends and hundreds of woodpecker holes. I have on the ground another small straight hickory that is 12" at 12', after that it is crooked. Should I save and set aside any?

IMG_1351.JPG IMG_1355.JPG

How about beech? I thought they were pretty much worthless. I have on the ground a straight 14' beech that is 13" on the small end. Also I left standing for now this 28"dbh beech:

IMG_1363.JPG

Lastly, I have what I believe to be an elm which has the prettiest 10' log of the bunch at 26", but I thought elm was pretty much worthless as well.

IMG_1367.JPG IMG_1365.JPG

I should have asked first, how much are your consulting fees? Too bad Treeslayer doesn't hang around here any longer so I could get competitive bids for eastern hardwood advice.

Ron

Latest posts

Back