Family vacation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Last Tuesday the family and I went to Traverse City Michigan to go to a Gigantic waterpark for a few days. Well I have been in the market to find a used 460 or 660 don't matter which, and I don't need either but would like to give a Alaskan saw mill a try. Anyhow when we got in town there was a Industrial John Deere dealer there with some big skidders, well that got me thinking that they do alot of logging around there. So I had to come up with a reason to go into town and find pawn shops Stihl dealers any place that I could. Well the wife and my oldest boy decided to go to the large arcade, I'm not much on video games so I told them I was going to town and scout out some places so me and my youngest boy hit the road, I ended up being gone for about 3 hrs. and found nothing. But me and the boy did have a great time sitting on motorcycles and JD tractors at the dealers. heres the pics of the cool skidders

attachment.php

attachment.php

Was just talking to the wife about going there this next winter. Would $1000 get me a three day weekend there, with meals and everything?

Yeah, I believe it cost me around 850.00 for two days. That includes lodging food, there and the down town area, driving around and about the area(another 100mi) all my gas; which I live north of Fort Wayne, In around Auburn. So I think 1000.00 could be done for three days, about 3 hrs a day in the water park is enough, so maybe plan for other attractions to do also. But a great time for sure.
Yes we seen many wineries and of course the Cherry tree orchards, thousands of them in that pennisula. We ended up taking the shoreline to the very top and found a lighthouse that I found very cool. I wanted to go up in the U.P. and go to Sault St. Marie to the Sault locks and the shipwreck museum. But after seeing how much snow they still had decided to wait until the summer when I go back up to the Buckley Steam engine and threshing and milling show.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Last time I went to the shipwreck museum I was about 13, I definitely plan on going back when my kids are a little older.

Go to Newberry, see the logging museum. :chainsawguy: From there it is just a short drive to WhiteFish Point. Your also right near Tahquemenon falls. All family friendly.

On the way up, stop at Hartwick Pines and see the natural virgin pine forest. Kida impressive for MI. They also have a "lumber camp" set up to tour.

if your headed to the TC area, and need to keep the wife happy so you can justify a chainsaw purchase, stay at the B&B out on Old Mission Peninsula in Chateua Chantal. You have access to the tasting room all night. French motif rooms to stay in, views of both harbors all night long, a fantastic breakfast, and a huge fireplace to warm by. If that dont buy ya some check book freedom, nothing will.

I love Michigan. Except from december to April.

Go to Newberry, see the logging museum. :chainsawguy: From there it is just a short drive to WhiteFish Point. Your also right near Tahquemenon falls. All family friendly.

On the way up, stop at Hartwick Pines and see the natural virgin pine forest. Kida impressive for MI. They also have a "lumber camp" set up to tour.

if your headed to the TC area, and need to keep the wife happy so you can justify a chainsaw purchase, stay at the B&B out on Old Mission Peninsula in Chateua Chantal. You have access to the tasting room all night. French motif rooms to stay in, views of both harbors all night long, a fantastic breakfast, and a huge fireplace to warm by. If that dont buy ya some check book freedom, nothing will.

I love Michigan. Except from december to April.

Yes, Michigan is a fanastic place except Detriot, I do miss it at times. I have stayed at Newberry back in my snowmobile days, Tahquemon falls is pretty neat I have seen it, I didn't realize they had a logging museum I will check that out. I drove up in that pennisula we drove right past that winery, so you can get a B&B there? Check book freedom haha, I use cash only on stuff like that less traceable. Ahh if I buy her a couple more chickens shes satisfied.

attachment.php

Here is the winery I believe that you mentioned on 131
attachment.php

My solution to Detroit winters was move to CA. I did have frost on the car windshield this morning. Fourth or fifth time this winter. We had snow for a few days in January to cure my urge for snow. It will be in the 30's again tonight, but the 60's during the day.

Latest posts

Back