Farm Boss vs. 55 Rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubicon_1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Setting brand loyalty aside (if that's possible), are they the same or is one better than the other?

Which 55? There was an EPA version with a closed transfer cylinder on it that is a pretty strong runner. Both of those machines are very good firewood saws. I would probably get the one in the best condition if it the price were the same.

And now for something completely different. Im a Stihl man but I think the 55 is a good saw. I put a piston in one and like the way its put together.As stated already its alot easier to take apart compared to a 029. If you not out for max power Id do the 55.:)

I'd go for the 55 over the MS brand saws. Yes I'm a Stihlhead but them MS model saws do not impress me at all. If you go with an 029 super or a 029 I'd go with them.

And like gee_dubya said, be sure to get that 55 in a 12 gauge. :greenchainsaw:

Either saw will be a good saw. I personally like the MS290 over the 55 Rancher but that is my preference. I would probably go with the saw that was in the best shape. If they are both in good shape, I would go with the best price. Stihl does have more power. Heavier though.

I'm a Stihl fanboy myself here. But if I have a choice between the 455 Rancher and an MS290 Farmboss, I'm going for the 455 hands down with no questions asked.

Better air filtration, better antivibe, burns much less fuel as it's a strato saw, and (IMO) is a much better looking saw all together. Ugh.. I hate Stihl's with the orange handles....

The 029 / MS290 may have a slight (and I do mean slight)) advantage in power, the 455 is A LOT more pleasing to run.

I'm not kissing Husky's ass. As I said, I'm a Stihl fanboy at heart. But with my own experience in using each saw quite a bit, the 455 is all around a better saw.

I cut with a guy who has an MS290, it is NOT overly impressive anyplace, but for what we do it serves him fine. It's not any faster than my closed port 55. It was about on par with the 61 that I used to own. Matter of fact, I put a 268XP top end on the 61 and sold it to the same guy, so the MS290 sits quite a bit.....Cliff

i have ran husky saws for about 13 years and love them last week end i had a real bad day and dropped a big oak on my 371xp and went to get my buddies 455 it ran real well but i had the shaft break off and went to find parts for it they are quite a bit more than stihl parts so dont know if this helps or knot but if you have to buy parts stihl parts are some cheaper that husky parts from what i have sean. on a lighter note i replaced my 371 with a ms 660 and i love it at the same time i replaced m buddies saw with a ms 290 for what he dose around the farm i think it is a good saw.

Baileys was running a sale on a Makita 510 with 18 or 20" bar and 3/8" chain for about 359.00 with free shipping. It should hang with or surpass either of the other 2 saws your looking at IMO but it is built for more professonal use. I looked at the other saws and also ECHO.

I have ran both quite a bit, and I would take a 455. it is slightly down on power but MUCH lighter than a 290, better antivibe, that said they are both nothing compared to a pro saw of the same size.

baileys was running a sale on a makita 510 with 18 or 20" bar and 3/8" chain for about 359.00 with free shipping. It should hang with or surpass either of the other 2 saws your looking at imo but it is built for more professonal use.

+1!

I would go with the stihl if the price is close to the same. A guy at work has 2 husky 55's and they seem to have alot of problems. On the other hand I have a buddy that has a 029 and this guy is hard on everything I'm talking one of the worst you've ever seen with a tool. And that 029 has been through hell and it stihl starts and runs fine although the oiler quit working here lately. He's still running the saw though. (See what I mean about being hard on tools)

Back