Favorite Notch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favorite notch to use and why

• Humbolt

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Open Face

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Dutchman

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Conventional

Votes: 12 50.0%

• Total voters

StIhL MaGnUm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ok guy's what are your favorite notches to use and why,I'd just like to see what notch most of you guy's use...

Later Rob...

I wasn't aware that there was more than one way to notch when falling a tree (that's what you're talking about, isn't it?) until I saw 2 old geezers out cutting firewood with an old Homelite gear-drive and a little McCulloch: guys used a wierd cut...instead of a normal looking notch, they made two parallel cuts a bit more than 1/2 way through, and 3" apart. After that, a splitting wedge was used to split the slice out, then the saw was started again...the back cut was begun about 18" above the notch, angling down toward the notch at less than 30 deg from vertical.

Their explanation was that they never ever would have a barber chair.

I've never seen anything like it since, nor have I seen the odd looking stumps left behind, before or since.

I don't know man,but that sound's like quite the old timer notch to me I have never even heard of something like that:confused:

Later Rob.....

sounds like lambert had something to do with it:) lol, was there a bunch of chairs made with a saw left around?:D

Gee, I don't know, Rob- I was going to vote for Crawford Notch but it wasn't a choice. :D

Come on guy's :confused:

Like I said in the forestry-logging forum I prefer to use a humbolt notch when I'm cutting for board feet cause it tend's to save a little more wood,and I use the open face when I'm just cutting down pulp.What about you,what notch do you use??,but I guess it really depends on what your gonna do with the tree,or what your used to using....

Later Rob...

It all depends on what I am trying to do. If I just need to get the log on the ground in a general direction, I just use a standard notch. If the log is real heavy or the ground is soft and I want to keep it from burying itself, I sometimes use a humbolt. For topping out a pine at 50' up, I use an open face to reduce the impact on the spar so it doesn't try to fling me off like a booger.

To ask for a favorite notch is to ask for a favorite specific task. Kinda like asking 'which is your favorite size wrench?'. I use the notch that fits the task at hand.

(Rob, about the apostrophes- Plural words don't use one. Possessive words and conjunctions use one.)

I grew up using a conventional notch and it is the one I use most often, but like Brian said, some of the other notches come into play as dictated by conditions or objectives. Russ

I agree with both of you on the subject I guess I should have added what is you favorite notch for a specific task like Brian said..oh yeah Brian I said I was a Logger not a school teacher!!:D .

Ok so what is your favorite notch to use when your directional felling??

Later Rob...

open-face bore-cut. safe and accurate. not only controlls the fall but holds the tree in place for limbing. this is a picture of a common knotch taken out of an ash tree.

Last edited:
when the back cut was started, the tree began to split. the slab runs about 30 feet. when the tree fell off the top of the split the butt was about 50 feet in the air. it broke off,slid down and landed on the feller. accidents happen fast. be carefull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laterrob
The conventional face allows you to get more of the butt and lessens the chance of breakage than the Humbolt. the Humbolt faces horizontal cut is much higher cause the slope cut is below it!! So when cutting grade logs the conventional face is a must as your horizontal cut is level to the ground!! Seth

Good advice Seth your right about that maybe I should start to use a conventional notch for now on the only thing I don't like about the humbolt is that the hinge tends to break off early..:(

Later Rob..

Marty,

Who's the poor guy that nightmare fell on??Is he OK..What did you guy's do with that tree...I would have run that thing threw my chipper:D

Later Rob...

rob,
that was not one of my jobs. i just looked into the cause of the accident. last i heard the feller is not well. i have more pictures but it not nessassary to put them on the web. make sure you have a good escape path should things go wrong! marty

Marty,

I always make sure I have a clear escape path,I have seen my share of accident's as well and the outcome is usually not good for the faller..

Later Rob..

Marty, how would you have suggested that cut done, myself i would have bored in on both sides before making my backcut, I've worked with guys that use the way you teach, if done properly its pretty fool proof and safe.

Back