Favorite Phrases

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdt7618

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have had the pleasure of hearing some great stories and learned loads of things on this forum. But the bits that stick are the one liner’s the Sound bits as they say.

Here are my two fav to-date.

woofah wood : woodbooga get the prize for that one

Wood whore : can’t remember who, but funny and definitely fit the bill

So guys throwing it out there, what stick in your minds!

Steve

Okay woodbooga, what the heck is woofa wood?

Guess I have been accused of being a wood whore myself a time or two.Mostly by folks that move to slow in grabbing available wood in a prime spot.guess they figure I am supposed to sit around and wait until they show up.NOT!

Last edited:
I would have to say, the one I use the most or very regularly is

"... just one more thing."

When the day is not going as planned, something will break, come loose, spring a leak, slow progress to a stand still or otherwise make a complete nuisance of itself hindering work in some way. It is inevitablely going to happen early in the day. From there everything goes downhill, sometimes rather quickly. After enough times of work progressing this way you just come to expect it.

Okay woodbooga, what the heck is woofa wood?

Duh! It's wood that goes 'woof'. Known in Latin as Cornus florida.

:greenchainsaw:

Seriously though, it's wood on the punky side. Or low btu species like poplar, hemlock, or white pine. Unsaleable, but still good for shoulder-seasonh burning. Burns real fast. Goes "whooooof" in the stove. For us cookstove burners, it's great for kindling and for getting a quick oven up to temp, as well as for skillet frying on the lids over the firebox.

The old timers call woofah wood biscuit wood. You need a quick oven for baking biscuits. Conversely, if I'm roasting a chicken or something else that requires mid-range sustained heat, I go with a good solid hunk of a longer-lasting wood.

Last edited:
Duh! It's wood that goes 'woof'. Known in Latin as Cornus florida.

:greenchainsaw:

Seriously though, it's wood on the punky side. Or low bty species like poplar, hemlock, or white pine. Unsaleable, but still good for shoulder-seasonh burning. Burns real fast. Goes "whooooof" in the stove. For us cookstove burners, it's great for kindling and for getting a quick oven up to temp, as well as for skillet frying on the lids over the firebox.

The old timers call woofah wood biscuit wood. You need a quick oven for baking biscuits. Conversely, if I'm roasting a chicken or something else that requires mid-range sustained heat, I go with a good solid hunk of a longer-lasting wood.

Gotcha.Here we just call it crap wood.I should have known that you would come up with a more creative and elluding way of describing crap.:dizzy:

Gotcha.Here we just call it crap wood.I should have known that you would come up with a more creative and elluding way of describing crap.:dizzy:

Sorry. But the name avalancher was already taken and I'm sensitive to intellectual property issues.

You can take your dizzy smiley back. They don't burn too good in the stove.

:dizzy:

Question: is this going to devolve into yo' mama jokes? LOL! :cheers:

Last edited:
Not a favorite, but an inevitable line in this forum:

Q: What kind of wood is this?
A: Firewood.

Yo mamma thought I was PNW logger--a disproportionately large bar on a quality machine. :hmm3grin2orange:

Not a favorite, but an inevitable line in this forum:

Q: What kind of wood is this?
A: Firewood.

Yo mamma thought I was PNW logger--a disproportionately large bar on a quality machine. :hmm3grin2orange:

Yo' mama won a MacArthur Genius Grant for pioneering work to develop creative adaptations for bar oil. Disclosure: I have very intimate knowledge of this, having been on the panel that announced the award.

OK, back on topic, in deference to the OP.

One I like is 'pooch,' meaning punky. It's a Maine term as far as I can tell. Both Zodiac and Log Butcher use it regularly.

I like wood ho' too. LOL! A regular ho' is exploited by the wood of another. A wood ho' exploits himself in order to get wood.

Which is worse? :)

One I like is 'pooch,' meaning punky. It's a Maine term as far as I can tell. Both Zodiac and Log Butcher use it regularly.

I like wood ho' too. LOL! A regular ho' is exploited by the wood of another. A wood ho' exploits himself in order to get wood.

Which is worse? :)

Which is worse, I thought wood was wood! of course you should never use another man's wood........ without asking!:monkey:

One I like is 'pooch,' meaning punky. It's a Maine term as far as I can tell.

Here we call it 'pithy'. My Dad has used that term since the 50's.
Just last nite down at the barn, my wife was looking at this big old hackberry, that needs to die, and she asked him why he hasn't cut it up for firewood. His reply was it's too pithy, lol.

I done lernt the word "woodbooga" in this forum.

I also started to use the term here in western PA. I get funny looks and have to explain it. My brothers call me a woodbooga now. :cheers:

Here we call it 'pithy'. My Dad has used that term since the 50's.
Just last nite down at the barn, my wife was looking at this big old hackberry, that needs to die, and she asked him why he hasn't cut it up for firewood. His reply was it's too pithy, lol.

I've heard that. Though not too often. 'Pithy' sounds the most like what it is. I'm clueless as to how punky and pooched gained currency.

I done lernt the word "woodbooga" in this forum.

I also started to use the term here in western PA. I get funny looks and have to explain it. My brothers call me a woodbooga now. :cheers:

LOL. My little contribution to making an obscure regionalism nationally known - one internet user at a time.

I updated my signature to clarify what my username is a while ago. Prior to that, I suspect most of the people from not here reckoned I was some nutjob running about the woods, clearing my nostrils in the general direction of random tree trunks.

I updated my signature to clarify what my username is a while ago. Prior to that, I suspect most of the people from not here reckoned I was some nutjob running about the woods, clearing my nostrils in the general direction of random tree trunks.

All along I figured you were known for clearing a nose full of sticky sawdust then displaying it for the rest of us.

Hmmmm , ya' learn something new everyday.

Latest posts

Back