Favorite Phrases

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favorite saying is "We ain't building pianos" - use it every time someone gets just a little too anal retentive over something that will work just fine, but is not as exact or as pretty as it could be.

I am not a full blown wood 'ho, but I believe I am degrading into one. Besides my own woods, I have wood blocked up at 3 different places waiting to be hauled home. Maybe just a wood tramp at this point?

Lots of nervous trees around here. With the economy down and no longer the flush and fast money of the hurricane ....and the aftermath of a drunken sailor spending spree on mass new equipment....lots of "tree experts" faced with a new month's equipment payment due....call back to the client, "maybe that old hackberry is not as stable over your house as I thought few months ago".

That would a wood related money whore.

We ain't building pianos.... sound like me to the wife when the "honey do's list get attacked. Often she will expect same or better finish to joiner type works that a cabinet maker would give.... and I ain't even a joiner!

Good Old Elm

My favorite of them all is piss elm.

After you find a "free" tree and cut the big rounds to length, you next try to split them. After your splitting maul bounces off 5 or 6 times, you end up throwing it all in a ditch and say, "Piss on it." :spam:

My favorite of them all is piss elm.

After you find a "free" tree and cut the big rounds to length, you next try to split them. After your splitting maul bounces off 5 or 6 times, you end up throwing it all in a ditch and say, "Piss on it." :spam:

Yep, another term old farmers call it, but here they don't say 'elm' they say it like 'elum'.

Another term that I learned just last night from an old guy who has been sawing more years than I have been alive.
"what kind of tree is that Peebo?"
"Thats a leaverite tree"
"What the bleep,a leaverite?"
"Yep, leave her right there."

Dont ask me why his name is Peebo,when I asked him that years ago he just got a very evil grin on his face.I left it alone.I had work to do, and not a lot of time to hear an hour long story that was sure to follow....

Surprised this hasn't come up yet:

Firewood heats you 7 to 8 times

-When you fell it
-When you buck it
-When you split it
-When you stack it outdoors
-(optional for those of us fortunate to have an attached barn)When you bring your wood in
-When you bring it from the barn to the stove
-When you enjoy the fruits of your labor in a snug house pan-frying some potatoes on the stovetop

Boy, a few beads of perspiration formed on my forehead just thinking about it!

Surprised this hasn't come up yet:

Firewood heats you 7 to 8 times

-When you fell it
-When you buck it
-When you split it
-When you stack it outdoors
-(optional for those of us fortunate to have an attached barn)When you bring your wood in
-When you bring it from the barn to the stove
-When you enjoy the fruits of your labor in a snug house pan-frying some potatoes on the stovetop

Boy, a few beads of perspiration formed on my forehead just thinking about it!
Add two more:

-When you load it onto the truck
-When you unload it from the truck

From another list I am on:

Newbie asks: "How Do I Stack Wood"

Answer: "So a mouse can run through it but a cat can't chase it."

Shari

Latest posts

Back