Felling saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seedling345

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Whats you guys go to saw when felling a big tree( or even snap cutting chunks off a big trunk. Sold a job last night and there is no way my 241 will do it i have 750 to work with. Naturally i scheduled out a couple weeks to obtain a bog enough saw im looking at the dolmar 7910 (100 over my budget but do-able) or the efco mt8200 (almost 100 under budget). I havent heard to much about efco. Euro company correct? And i hear pretty high regards on the 7900 dolmar (assuming the 7910 is just a newer model) but this is by far the biggest tree i will have climbed as far as shear trunk mass (bout the size of a mini cooper). If you can think of any other saws that can compare to these 2 thats cool to. But again 750 is what i want to spend will spend a little more if need be. Sorry not looking for a used saw. (Might be asking alot for the cashola im working with)

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

What kind of DBH is it? The husky 365 should be under budget (new). And you can mod them to be a 372 for real cheap too. But the Dolmar 7910 is a good saw too, I just like the Husky better. Dolmar is up on power but I like how the Husky saws feel more. I have heard less then stellar reviews on Efco saws, I think Bailey's stopped carrying them due to complaints. Echo is not a bad saw though (the american ones). I think they are a good buy for the money.

You'd be amazed what you can do with a little saw with sufficient motivation, though. I took down a 28in red maple with a Stihl 250 a couple years back.

What kind of DBH is it? The husky 365 should be under budget (new). And you can mod them to be a 372 for real cheap too. But the Dolmar 7910 is a good saw too, I just like the Husky better. Dolmar is up on power but I like how the Husky saws feel more. I have heard less then stellar reviews on Efco saws, I think Bailey's stopped carrying them due to complaints. Echo is not a bad saw though (the american ones). I think they are a good buy for the money.

You'd be amazed what you can do with a little saw with sufficient motivation, though. I took down a 28in red maple with a Stihl 250 a couple years back.
Yeah ive taken some bigger ones with a 16 on my 241 but ide be there for days cutting pie slices out of it assuming its not hollow but i dont think it is its a pretty healthy tree. Dbh? No idea but my 10 foot lanyard barely fits around it. My buddy cuts fire wood with a 455 rancher not impressed with that at all, im guessin the 365 is a "pro saw"? I know the rancher is not so i wont base my opinion on their pro equipment off of my expierence with their homeowner saw. Youve had good experiences with the 365?

I see husky rates max bar length at 28inches on the 365 but does it pull the 28 with some authority or is it just able to move the chain.

It will move the chain teeth. I think it is at home with a 20 and OK with a 24. Its a de-tuned 372xp. You can pull the jug off and remove the transfer covers and grind them out to be a normal 372, but your gonna have to retune it.

If you are honestly dealing with a 3 ft tree (DBH is diameter at breast height aka diameter at 4.5 ft) I would be breaking out a bigger saw like a 390, but if you have a budget you can probably make a Dolmar 7910 work. But I would be REAL careful with that tree. You may have to bore in from the front of the hinge so you can cut the heart before you drop it. If you are not super sure of your self or if it is hollow It may not be a bad idea to hire somebody or at least do a core sample so you can see if it is hollow or not. Whacking on trees that size is about as useful as teats on a bull.

On suspect trees I try to cut as high as I can to avoid rot and will bore cut like in the video I linked. I like to bore cut as I was told rotten trees were prone to splitting and barber chairs. I always bore cut them or leaners and have yet to find out if that is true. I am not an expert faller by any means, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Great video thanks for the info. Im no pro feller either i just got balls lol could be a bad thing some times but hasnt backfired yet k.o.w but my 241 can handle most of it except trunk it will be dropping just the log. Nothin to damage except a well head and its on the house side of yard log will be dropped away from it so im really not worried about hurting anything. But i doubt i will come across trees tgis big very often been climbing for 4 years and on the ground 2 years before that and its the biggest (trunk mass) that ive came across in that time so its hard to justify buying a monster saw like an 880 or 576xp or efco 199 i will rarely need a saw that big so based off what i can take with a 16 i guessed a 28 would do it good. Enough. If i can go to either side of the tree (double cut) and cut and the cuts touch ill take it 16" bar doubled is 32 im not into this diameter measuring but if the tree is 32 inches from side to side i can take it with my 16 if i said that right like i said im no pro feller just a guy with a general knowledge and a set of balls. 28 might even be a little small but like i said i dont hardly get huge trees so cant justify dropping 2 gs on a monster

115f9913fcfc7fa0905a673dcbd59e76.jpg

Theres this to but seems sketchy to me

From your two choices I would feel perfectly well equiped with either! The dolmar is a more modern type while the efco is a equally full pro italien made saw! The major complaint about efco is that they are typically a little slower than the more modern and snappier pro models of Stihl and Husqvarna. A pro that I know said it something like this "not a high speed italien stalion but more a italion bull, simply robust and unstoppable!" And the speed differences often quoted here are in the low single second area, if that is important for you you must decide.

I would not be afraid to choose the efco and I am VERY happy with my efco equipment as I am very happy with my dolmar equipment.

It isn't sketchy. But it requires some practice for best results, and a few felling wedges. Having a powerful powerhead with a short bar works best for this style of felling, rather than a low-power powerhead and a short bar. Example: Stihl 362/16" versus 180/16".

And i didnt take into cosideration the double fishemans on my lanyard so its more like 8 and a half foot lanyard not ten so the tree is a little smaller than originally stated

And i didnt take into cosideration the double fishemans on my lanyard so its more like 8 and a half foot lanyard not ten so the tree is a little smaller than originally stated

you would NOT go wrong, getting a 8200 efco............like sleeper said,,sped diff nil,,but balls plus....

you would NOT go wrong, getting a 8200 efco............like sleeper said,,sped diff nil,,but balls plus....
From price and specs thats what i was thinking but specs can be bs sometimes so this helps take some of the skepticism away

From your two choices I would feel perfectly well equiped with either! The dolmar is a more modern type while the efco is a equally full pro italien made saw! The major complaint about efco is that they are typically a little slower than the more modern and snappier pro models of Stihl and Husqvarna. A pro that I know said it something like this "not a high speed italien stalion but more a italion bull, simply robust and unstoppable!" And the speed differences often quoted here are in the low single second area, if that is important for you you must decide.

I would not be afraid to choose the efco and I am VERY happy with my efco equipment as I am very happy with my dolmar equipment.

Well hell now i want both [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3] hearing they way people talk about dolmar is really stearing me away from stihl and husky and having a bull in the line up could be nice lol

That is exactly what I was trying to say. The video I posted is another option if you have the bar length. I use that cut maybe 2 or 3 times a year as I need it. But I prefer a more conventional approach. You need at least 2 wedges (in my opinion) and brass balls.

And FWIW I own a 576xpw. Fantastic saw and runs like a top. I have rakers down to 35 thou in hard wood and it still pulls like you would not belive with a 24 in bar (7 pin rim). Honestly I think a dolmar 7910 may be a little much for you to handle. Its like going from a Corolla to a blown Small block muscle car. If you don't run a saw a lot you can get yourself in trouble in a real hurry.

That is exactly what I was trying to say. The video I posted is another option if you have the bar length. I use that cut maybe 2 or 3 times a year as I need it. But I prefer a more conventional approach. You need at least 2 wedges (in my opinion) and brass balls.

And FWIW I own a 576xpw. Fantastic saw and runs like a top. I have rakers down to 35 thou in hard wood and it still pulls like you would not belive with a 24 in bar (7 pin rim). Honestly I think a dolmar 7910 may be a little much for you to handle. Its like going from a Corolla to a blown Small block muscle car. If you don't run a saw a lot you can get yourself in trouble in a real hurry.
Ive been climbing for 4 years and was on the ground for 2 years before that ive ran 660 880 441s i have experience with large saws just dont own one believe me i can handle it, but thanks for the concern:cheers:

a 8200, will pull a 36 inch bar with authority....
[emoji50] [emoji50] [emoji50] awesome i know some of these brands say some off the wall stuff like i seen this saw i forget the brand but it was 45cc and they said max bar length was 20" i call bs my 2r1 is 45cc and shys away from a 18 inch let alone a 20

Ive been climbing for 4 years and was on the ground for 2 years before that ive ran 660 880 441s i have experience with large saws just dont own one believe me i can handle it, but thanks for the concern:cheers:

Got the impression other wise. If you were on a arborist's crew I can see why you do not want to buy used.

Got the impression other wise. If you were on a arborist's crew I can see why you do not want to buy used.
I do my own thing now pretty much just removals. About 3 days a week and i restore pontoons also. Im not wreckless about it though i dont take jobs that either make me nervouse or that i know are just flat out out of my league but i dont buy anything used lol not cars saws game consoles i just like to be the one to beat the piss out of it out of the box

Back