File Life?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cutterschoice is correct unless you are a dealer. for dealers it is laser sales. i have a hard time keeping them in stock no matter how many boxes i buy. i had a guy stop by last nite and buy all i had in stock. marty

file life

Too many variables to this question. Does........ not.........compute. How long does your "sharp" chain last? :eek:

I was thinking about this thread today when I was touching up my chain before climbing a big Live Oak. My file seemed half-dull, but I figured it was 'good enough'. Well, my lil 3400 was cutting poorly enough for the guy to say "That's why I use the 020T, those Echos don't have any power".
Well, after finishing the tree I went and chucked that file and pulled out a new one. 2 light strokes on each tooth, and it cut like a banshee in the next tree.

For a while I gathered info on cryo treating chains and bars. I talked with cryo treatment companies who claimed it would be great. Of course they would say that :) I talked with a tech from Oregon chain and he did some investigating and told me that the material that saw chain is made from would not benefit from cryo. I told him that the cost wasn't an issue since I could see his point from a manufacturer's position. Us end-users would be a hard headed bunch to convince I think. A materials engineer and I traded emails too. He was the best source since he didn't have anything to sell. He told me the same thing as the Oregon dealer. No benefit for saw chain.

Now...I have to wonder about bars and files.

A good friend of mine treated just about any metal part when he was racing go karts. the treatment is relatively cheap so it can't hurt, was his position.

No matter what we would do the value of the cryo treatment would be hard to measure. Unless you were cutting a known number of diameter-inches like in logging or firewood, there would be a problem documenting the service life of a chain.

Chains are so cheap that it would be hard to believe it would be a worthwhile investment. the value of cryo treating race car parts is that they last longer so the r&r is reduced. If the chain stayed sharp for a percentage longer, would that percentage of time equal the cost?

Tom

Type/brand of File

Does everyone just use chainsaw files and any old brand.
Chainsawworld said they use laser brand.
I use oregon.
Are the good files all Swiss made?

Back