Firewood bucking/splitting rate

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

closetoreality

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What would you guys consider a good cut per cord when your the one bucking and splitting the logs. Keep in mind your using your own saw, bar oil, and gas. Also take into mind the cords are being sold for 300.00

I was going to say 80-85 a cord? I usually can get 2 cord bucked split and into the back of the trucks by days end.

Looking for some input before I give an offer. Thanks.

adjustment for location needed

Is it fair to assume that if the product is being sold for top dollar ($300) that the cutter be paid a higher rate?
Is it harder to cut hardwood than softwood?? By how much?
How much longer would it take to split hardwood vs. Softwood?

Is the pay east of the big river that much higher than west of it?

I figure a honest cord around here would cost me less than $25 to get Steve to cut it. This is logs decked, not standing trees.
My splitter would go thru it in about a hour for less than $20

As with any business, your results may vary, and will be based on your individual experience, expertise, and motivation. We make no guarantee regarding your results, sales nor income.

Is it fair to assume that if the product is being sold for top dollar ($300) that the cutter be paid a higher rate?
Is it harder to cut hardwood than softwood?? By how much?
How much longer would it take to split hardwood vs. Softwood?

Is the pay east of the big river that much higher than west of it?

I figure a honest cord around here would cost me less than $25 to get Steve to cut it. This is logs decked, not standing trees.
My splitter would go thru it in about a hour for less than $20

As with any business, your results may vary, and will be based on your individual experience, expertise, and motivation. We make no guarantee regarding your results, sales nor income.

45 dollars for bucked and split wood? I'm glad I don't work for you.

I do see ads on Craigslist for people bucking and splitting a homeowner's wood for around $25 / hr.

No idea if they are making a buck at it.

45 dollars for bucked and split wood? I'm glad I don't work for you.

blocking and splitting wood for 50.00 a cord without stacking it is fair wages in any neck of the woods! just because a seller is catching a better price for the product does,nt mean the laborer should get any more of the profits any more than if sold for a lesser price! work is work and owners profits are the business end for the provider of the product and jobs for the help, in which if it were not for the seller/owner/operator the help would be looking elsewhere for work!

That would seem fair. 1 hr to buck the wood, 2 hrs to split, 1 hr to load. 4 hrs total,==$20 HR -$6 for fuel -$10 for sharp chain and oil. -$20 for saw and maul wear and tear. So that would be now $46 divided by 4 $11.25 an hr to bust your back and balls. I would not do that deal personally, but you do what ya have to. If thats all the work you can get or its side money needed. Good luck. Just my opinion tho.

PS I know it can be done faster, but the more you do the slower things go. And on the moneys the little things add up.

blocking and splitting wood for 50.00 a cord without stacking it is fair wages in any neck of the woods! just because a seller is catching a better price for the product does,nt mean the laborer should get any more of the profits any more than if sold for a lesser price! work is work and owners profits are the business end for the provider of the product and jobs for the help, in which if it were not for the seller/owner/operator the help would be looking elsewhere for work!

Glad I don't live in your neck of the woods, I'd be ashamed to even tell anybody I was screwing somebody that bad!

What would you guys consider a good cut per cord when your the one bucking and splitting the logs. Keep in mind your using your own saw, bar oil, and gas. Also take into mind the cords are being sold for 300.00

I was going to say 80-85 a cord? I usually can get 2 cord bucked split and into the back of the trucks by days end.

Looking for some input before I give an offer. Thanks.

That depends on what your competition is willing to do it for, how competent they are and what equipment they bring to the table. Mauls are wonderful and are quite capable in seasoned hands, but they tend to slow down as the day wears on (unless your Superman). A TW-6, or a S.S. doesn't unless it runs out of fuel, or you start slacking... As was said earlier, the business end is just that. If they can get the same labor or good enough to achieve their needs for 1/2 of your price, they're a fool for not doing so from a business perspective. However, if you bring quality equipment to the table, can demonstrate your words via your actions and be dependable, you very well may be able to command a premium wage due to your competence, dependability and integrity.

No mauls...super splitter :msp_smile:

It takes me 90 minutes a cord with a DR, that is from a pile of logs to a pile of splits.

Now that is based on my needs, blocking takes longer than splitting, so 14" will take longer than my usual 22".

My truck takes 1/2 cord, about 30 minutes for loading and unloading plus whatever travel time.

Gas, a gallon max. Lube etc say $10 plus of course the truck.

Biggy is amortisation of the cost of equipment. Chain is $14 probably no more than $5 a cord, but the truck, splitter and saw in that order.

All wood is not equal, so how can you give a price on a job until you see it?
Some of the folks on here are ether superman or there stretching the truth just a bit.
Course I’m over 50 so my work pace is much slower then it use to be.lol
At that rate, I could make about a buck fifty an hour.

Last edited:
I've posted an ad in craigslist offering to block and split wood on a customer's site for $25 an hour. This is back about 3-1/2 years ago when I was self-employed and trying to pay the bills. I never got any takers on that deal. Probably had to do with the time of the year, I posted the ad in fall. Best to try that around now when everybody is getting truckloads of tree-length dropped off. I have a couple decent saws and a small Timberwolf splitter, I estimated that I could do three cords in a reasonable day.

There are lots of guys getting into mobile processing around here. Going rate is 40-60 per cord. They won't show up unless you have at least 30 cords or more to process. Some of the bigger machines can do 20-30 cords (real cords !) per day.

Glad I don't live in your neck of the woods, I'd be ashamed to even tell anybody I was screwing somebody that bad!
50.00 per cord is on the cheap end! just finished doing 8 cords plus for 90.00 per cord on the landing for a home owner... charged the owner 40.00 for cutting and 50.00 for splitting with no stacking!! the owner was more than happy to have it done an 11 more acres to do after the snow melts... so as they say "talk is cheap" !! but a good wood processor(hand maul, splitter an saws) with the will to work an get it done is worth what it takes to have it done the home owners way!! with it being done by the cord which is in the home owners best interest, and not by the milked hour !!!

Dang, I wish those guys were around here. I've got a bunch bucked already to 16" lengths. That should make it go faster, right? (Don't tell them that the rounds are 20"-38+" dia.....)

10"-16" dia go fast, but once the rounds start going over that, moving them onto the splitter takes more time. Red Oak, White Oak, Pin Oak, Red Maple. Some 30" sycamore.......

There are lots of guys getting into mobile processing around here. Going rate is 40-60 per cord. They won't show up unless you have at least 30 cords or more to process. Some of the bigger machines can do 20-30 cords (real cords !) per day.

I've been cutting and stacking logs for a client. There's about 50 cords stacked up now, all the logs are 12'-16' long. Too bad this is probably too far to travel. I don't know of anyone in this area that does mobile processing. I doubt that any one log is over 2,800 pounds but I also doubt that any are under 1,000 pounds.

I cut split and sell my wood. And get all the profit. Couldn't amagine doing it for less. I guess if it's steady work $30-35 an hour would be fair.

Wood is a lot of work. If someone is willing to pay the price, whatever it is, it's worth it. To them not you.

If I could get my wood cut and split for $40.00 a cord and sell it for $300.00 I would never split another stick for the rest of my life.
I would simply be a salesman and never touch the wood.
Why is it that the guy that works the hardest and pays for his own equipment get the short end of the deal?
It should be the other way around. I get calls everyday for wood I can produce myself. Around here selling the wood is the easy part, I sell as much as I can produce, on my own.
I’ll gladly pay someone 40 bucks to cut and split my wood.

Saw this ad online today (kijjii). This guys not going to win a spelling bee but willing to process wood very cheap:

mobile wood processor
my hole operation can come to you no
matter where you are
8 doller face cord
if your looking for a reliable guy to make your wood logs into fire wood with out even having to brake a sweat you have come to the right guy. I have just purchased a brand new cord kng that can handel 30 foot logs and do 4 to5 bush cords an hr

Latest posts

Back