Firewood bucking/splitting rate

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is unfair is the pay rate for a given talent. Take a guy that’s good at book keeping and a guy that’s good at fixing things. Why should one make more then the other? Both need each other to survive, so why not share the wealth a little more evenly?

The trickle down theory doesn’t always work if the one at the top won’t share.

You have companies that are making record profits, yet they still wont raise there workers pay scale or wont hire new people. Most things work by supply and demand, still others like the oil industries that work off speculation.

I was alive when the so called oil shortage was going on during the 70’s. There was no oil shortage, it was a political embargo and the oil companies took full advantage of it.

I remember hearing about the so called shortage but yet in the Gulf of Mexico there were hundreds of oil tankers loaded with oil just sitting in the gulf because they were kept form unloading for political reasons.

And don’t even get me started on the latest debacle with the financial bail outs. Greed is truly the root of all evil.

Sorry, couldnt resist since grammar and spelling seem to be the direction this thread is now going. And dont go nickpicking my post because there isnt enough band width to correct all of my mistakes. In fact, I look at it as if people can get the jest of what I am trying to say, well thats close enough.

Sorry, couldnt (couldn't) resist since grammar and spelling seem to be the direction this thread is now going. And dont go nickpicking my post because there isnt (isn't) enough band width to correct all of my mistakes. In fact, I look at it as if people can get the jest of what I am trying to say, well thats close enough.

I agree, nit picking is childish, though one should always do there best and at least try to improve.

And before someone says I’m a hypocrite because I work for as much money as I can.

My wood prices are set fair for my area (average) and I never change because it gets cold or there’s a particular cold year, like this year.
My wood stayed the same price till I sold out. I didn’t raise the price just because it was a cold year and wood was in short supply.

I will however raise my price if or when production cost go up but not because people are cold.

When I was in college I worked in the service department of a dealership basically as a gopher. A guy came in with a dictionary in hand to fill out an application as a mechanic. When asked about it, he said his writing and spelling skills were very low but he wanted to make sure he at least spelled everything correctly. He was damn near hired on the spot. Why? Because they figured if he cared that much about filling out the application well, he would be meticulous in his work. And they were right. He wasnt much older than me and not the most experienced guy in the world but the guy worked his butt off and never took short cuts. It didn't take too many years for him to go from a C rate mechanic to an A rate mechanic. Not knowing spelling and grammar sure doesnt make you dumb but acknowledging your weaknesses and doing what you can to get past them will no doubt only make you more successful.

wow, do you really hate capitalism that much...comrade? You seem to have very little understanding of it or economics in general.

ST is one of my favorite shows and having had a small business that got started with venture capital and hard work I can relate to each and everyone that goes on that show.
Without the 'greedy' big money guys like the sharks very few of these entrepreneurs would ever get started. If you watch the later clips of many successes you see extremely happy people who were given a chance to live their dream.

Kevin couldn't have said it better:

Capitalism is just a fancy word for greedy pigs.
And yes some people get ripped off and don't even know it till it's too late or there to stupid to know the difference.

Capitalism is just a fancy word for greedy pigs.
And yes some people get ripped off and don't even know it till it's too late or there to stupid to know the difference.
And just how long do you think any body would stay in business if they are not allowed to make a profit. Life isnt a charity and you dont always get what you want. Getting what you deserve depends on deserving what you get. The only reason I would eve hire anybody is to save a dime or make a dime. If i cant make or save money by hireing that person, then I dont need that person. Business hire employees because they need them to make money, not because the employees need a job. They pay them according to what the wage market will bear. Low wage paying jobs are usually low wage because there isnt much skill involved and the worker can easily be replaced. If you want more pay, the simple answer is to be worth more. If your bitter about what you make now, then make yourself more valuable to your employer. The current President wants to take from the rich and give to the poor. Problem with that is that its getting to where most of the poor are just standing in line waiting for the next handout. The more pressure the government places on employers, the longer that handout line gets.

And just how long do you think any body would stay in business if they are not allowed to make a profit. Life isnt a charity and you dont always get what you want. Getting what you deserve depends on deserving what you get. The only reason I would eve hire anybody is to save a dime or make a dime. If i cant make or save money by hireing that person, then I dont need that person. Business hire employees because they need them to make money, not because the employees need a job. They pay them according to what the wage market will bear. Low wage paying jobs are usually low wage because there isnt much skill involved and the worker can easily be replaced. If you want more pay, the simple answer is to be worth more. If your bitter about what you make now, then make yourself more valuable to your employer. The current President wants to take from the rich and give to the poor. Problem with that is that its getting to where most of the poor are just standing in line waiting for the next handout. The more pressure the government places on employers, the longer that handout line gets.

Making a fair profit is fine and nothing wrong with it. Greed on the other hand is completely different.

Yes there are some that want to skim by and never try to improve or want things for free.

Yet there are other people that work there asses off but keep getting the short end of the deal because of the greedy upper management that takes the credit for others work.

If you can’t see that then you’re probably a greedy person and part of the problem with a fair wage act.

It’s a lot like gambling, the house always wins because they set the rules and it’s always in the houses favor.

Another example is credit card companies. You need the money to make your dream become a reality but they control terms and put in a claws that says they can change the rules when ever they want and for any reason.

Insurance works the same way, you need it and pay in for years without a single clam, yet when something happens beyond your control and had nothing to do with you or is your fault, they say you’ve become a high rick and ether drop you or raise your rate.

Once a person or company reaches a given point and there profits become astronomical then it’s time to give a little back.

I know of many cases where a person has worked for a company for many years and given it there all, showing up on time everyday and doing a great job, they are let go so the company can hire someone else at a lower rate. Instead of rewarding a worker for there loyalty and dedication, they are replaced.

Making a fair profit is fine and nothing wrong with it. Greed on the other hand is completely different.

And just what is your definition of a fair profit?

Yes there are some that want to skim by and never try to improve or want things for free.

It easier to set back and wait on a handout than it is to go out and work for it. This problem becomes more of a problem as entillements are increased. This notion was first introduced in 1939 by FDR.

Yet there are other people that work there asses off but keep getting the short end of the deal because of the greedy upper management that takes the credit for others work.
Good Management surrounds itself with competent people in order to succeed. Choosing the correct employees is a challenge in itself.

If you can’t see that then you’re probably a greedy person and part of the problem with a fair wage act.

I think your assumptions speak loudly of your character as well

It’s a lot like gambling, the house always wins because they set the rules and it’s always in the houses favor.

If one knows the game is rigged against them, they are fools to gamble in the first place. Playing the odds is why they call it gambling.

Another example is credit card companies. You need the money to make your dream become a reality but they control terms and put in a claws that says they can change the rules when ever they want and for any reason.

If one lives within their means and manages their money wisely, they would not buy things they cannot afford and have no reason to ever owe a CC fees or have to worry about them changing the rules. Rules are changed because folks buy things on credit, thinking they will just pay it next month, but next moth instead of paying off the debt, they buy something else and the cycle continues until they default and leave the other card holders to pay off their debt.

Insurance works the same way, you need it and pay in for years without a single clam, yet when something happens beyond your control and had nothing to do with you or is your fault, they say you’ve become a high rick and ether drop you or raise your rate.

I have had several claims against my insurance company and have never had my insurance cancelled, or my rates raised.

Once a person or company reaches a given point and there profits become astronomical then it’s time to give a little back.
I will totally agree with you on this point. I will also add that most major companies do have charities that they contribute to.

I know of many cases where a person has worked for a company for many years and given it there all, showing up on time everyday and doing a great job, they are let go so the company can hire someone else at a lower rate. Instead of rewarding a worker for there loyalty and dedication, they are replaced.

In the last several years there has been many technological advances in just about every industry. Sometimes the older generations just cant catch hold of how to deal with this technology. Not saying its right, but sometimes you have to get rid of the old before you can bring in the new. This goes for workers as well as equipment. Innovation and automation has reduced the numbers of employees needed. With that new equipment, it takes a whole different skill set that most of the older workers dont have. There is no subsitute for experience. I have recently seen a lot of cost cutting measures where I work. Myself being effected by these changes. I also understand the need for these changes. That doesnt mean I like the changes, but I dont blame the company for the changes. It is a part of doing business and making a profit. If you have operated a business as you claim, I am sure you made changes as you searched for more profits. Failure to change or adapt, leads to failure of a business. I think you know something about that as well.

What is unfair is the pay rate for a given talent. Take a guy that’s good at book keeping and a guy that’s good at fixing things. Why should one make more then the other? Both need each other to survive, so why not share the wealth a little more evenly?

I look at it this way.. I charge what i charge.. If i'm happy and survive with it then so be it. I'm not going to worry what the book keeper makes..

When I was in college I worked in the service department of a dealership basically as a gopher. A guy came in with a dictionary in hand to fill out an application as a mechanic. When asked about it, he said his writing and spelling skills were very low but he wanted to make sure he at least spelled everything correctly. He was damn near hired on the spot. Why? Because they figured if he cared that much about filling out the application well, he would be meticulous in his work. And they were right. He wasnt much older than me and not the most experienced guy in the world but the guy worked his butt off and never took short cuts. It didn't take too many years for him to go from a C rate mechanic to an A rate mechanic. Not knowing spelling and grammar sure doesnt make you dumb but acknowledging your weaknesses and doing what you can to get past them will no doubt only make you more successful.

This is what I was trying to get at. People know if they can't spell or form a sentence. I know they know because I am one of them. It takes time to write things out clearly and correctly. Luckily I have a friend called spell check to help me along.

My point was not to bash him. Looking back, I guess I did though. I think that because the advertising is free on Craigslist, there's a lot of everything on there to wade through. If I'm looking to hire someone. I'm starting my search with the guy who took a few extra minutes to double check his spelling at least. If he's posting on the internet, he has a spell check. It's not that hard to use.

Some of the bleeding hearts on this thread should take a trip to a place like Cuba if they want to see wage equality in action and no corporate greed. Highly trained professionals like pysicians make $30 per month. About the same as the guy driving the bus or digging a ditch. Since there is very little investment in the economy by greedy pig corporations, the result is that everyone lives in extreme poverty and wants to get the hell out. Many locals call it the worlds biggest open prison.

Look! I don’t care how good you are, or how much education you have, no one is worth some of the salaries some of these CEO’s are making. There’s no way anyone can justify one person making that much money. I mean really! How big does your house need to be? How many houses do you need? How many toys do you need?

My point is, once you’re set for life and can live a lavish lifestyle for the remainder of your life, it’s time to share the wealth, at least with the ones that helped you achieve it.

Yes some do give back out of the goodness of there heart, no mater there income. Yet some companies use this as a tax write off more then wanting to help people.

Look! I don’t care how good you are, or how much education you have, no one is worth some of the salaries some of these CEO’s are making. There’s no way anyone can justify one person making that much money. I mean really! How big does your house need to be? How many houses do you need? How many toys do you need?

My point is, once you’re set for life and can live a lavish lifestyle for the remainder of your life, it’s time to share the wealth, at least with the ones that helped you achieve it.

Yes some do give back out of the goodness of there heart, no mater there income. Yet some companies use this as a tax write off more then wanting to help people.

I guess when it comes tax time, you dont write off any of your charitable donations. And since you dont report your firewood income, you dont pay your share of taxes either.

Some of the bleeding hearts on this thread should take a trip to a place like Cuba if they want to see wage equality in action and no corporate greed. Highly trained professionals like pysicians make $30 per month. About the same as the guy driving the bus or digging a ditch. Since there is very little investment in the economy by greedy pig corporations, the result is that everyone lives in extreme poverty and wants to get the hell out. Many locals call it the worlds biggest open prison.

What’s so wrong with having a kind heart? You make it sound like it’s a bad thing to care for your fellow man. The whole problem of greed is to think of ones self over others. Putting ones self over others is simple greed and nothing more. I come from “NO” money and worked hard for everything I have. Yet I still believe in being fare with the people I hire as long as they perform there duties well and work hard. Even if you don’t have a lot of money, you can still give back by at least lending a hand to someone that needs and deserves it. Sure if there going to sit on there ass and not try, then yes there not worthy of help.

I guess when it comes tax time, you dont write off any of your charitable donations. And since you dont report your firewood income, you dont pay your share of taxes either.

No I never said that, don’t make assumptions you know nothing about. I do report all my income and no I have never written off any donations I give away. I have several charities I give freely too and never ask for anything in return. I have several cook off teams that do cook offs for injured firemen, police hurt in the line of duty and for fund rising for someone that needs money for health care. I always donate wood for there cook offs for free. My reward is having the feeling of doing something good for someone and these cook off teams always return to buy wood for other events. This way I give back a little and it’s good PR. It’s good for your soul, you should try it sometime!

What’s so wrong with having a kind heart? You make it sound like it’s a bad thing to care for your fellow man. The whole problem of greed is to think of ones self over others. Putting ones self over others is simple greed and nothing more. I come from “NO” money and worked hard for everything I have. Yet I still believe in being fare with the people I hire as long as they perform there duties well and work hard. Even if you don’t have a lot of money, you can still give back by at least lending a hand to someone that needs and deserves it. Sure if there going to sit on there ass and not try, then yes there not worthy of help.

I never said there was anything wrong having a kind heart or a bad thing to care about your fellow man.

You seem to think everybody with a dollar should be giving it away. You are not the only one that has had to work for everything, but you seem to be painting everyperson with a little money with a black brush. Practically accuseing them of stealing from others less fortunate, not careing about their fellow man. I checked your profile and read some of your other posts. You brag about your prices being higher than the competition, but you wont nego on a lower price. If fact, you talk down to those that are willing to dicker or trade on price. You seem to have a very narrow view of how other folks should run their business and how much money they should be able to make, but thats alright as long as you make yours, everybody else must be wrong. Your ideal of charity is giving the local fire department a load of free wood for a barbeque or knocking $5 off a load of wood because the buyer only had $45 instead of the $50 asking price. You are doing some of the same things you are blasting other business of, but dont think they should be doing. You claim to have been selling firewood for years, but 2 1/2 years ago, you didnt even know how many cuft where in a cord of wood. If you have indeed been selling firewood for several years before then, I wonder just how many people you beat out of a honest measure of wood. 2 1/2 years ago you where advertising looking for another job as a tree spade operator, this suggests that the firewood business you have now is your first attempt at owning and operating a business. I hope if your business ever grows, or grows bigger than it is now, that you remember and think about some of the things you are spewing now.

I never said there was anything wrong having a kind heart or a bad thing to care about your fellow man.

You seem to think everybody with a dollar should be giving it away. You are not the only one that has had to work for everything, but you seem to be painting everyperson with a little money with a black brush. Practically accuseing them of stealing from others less fortunate, not careing about their fellow man. I checked your profile and read some of your other posts. You brag about your prices being higher than the competition, but you wont nego on a lower price. If fact, you talk down to those that are willing to dicker or trade on price. You seem to have a very narrow view of how other folks should run their business and how much money they should be able to make, but thats alright as long as you make yours, everybody else must be wrong. Your ideal of charity is giving the local fire department a load of free wood for a barbeque or knocking $5 off a load of wood because the buyer only had $45 instead of the $50 asking price. You are doing some of the same things you are blasting other business of, but dont think they should be doing. You claim to have been selling firewood for years, but 2 1/2 years ago, you didnt even know how many cuft where in a cord of wood. If you have indeed been selling firewood for several years before then, I wonder just how many people you beat out of a honest measure of wood. 2 1/2 years ago you where advertising looking for another job as a tree spade operator, this suggests that the firewood business you have now is your first attempt at owning and operating a business. I hope if your business ever grows, or grows bigger than it is now, that you remember and think about some of the things you are spewing now.

First off as for the other thread where I say my price is my price, you missed the whole point of what I was trying to say.

Yes I do have to make something or what’s the point. But my price is set by the cost of operation and an hourly rate I need to survive. Say (hypothetically) after my operating cost I make 10 dollars an hour, if my operating costs go up just a little bit and I end up making 9 dollars an hour, I can swallow that hit for a short time and I won’t raise my price. If it’s a cost that never goes away then I will eventually have to raise my price. Not because I won’t to but because I can’t survive on less then the 10 dollars I was making.

Then sometimes I get lucky and production cost goes down and I may make 11 dollars an hour. So as the operating cost fluctuates, on average it will work out to 10 dollars an hour. Back to the rate I need to survive.

Donating wood or sometimes giving someone a break on the price is all I can afford to give with such a small profit margin on firewood. Even though I make very little I still try to give a little back, even if its not very much. At least it’s something.

As for asking how many cubic feet is in a cord. That doesn’t mean I didn’t know the answer. Maybe I was fishing for other interpatations of what others were doing or using.

Just because I sometimes look for other work doesn’t mean selling firewood is successful or not. It just means I may want to do something else instead. Nothing wrong with wanting to make a little more when you make so little to begin with, but like I’ve been saying all along there comes a point when your filthy rich that one can afford to do more instead of continuing down the road of just making more money for themselves alone.

I wasn’t talking about the average struggling worker trying to make a descent living for himself and his family. My focuses is on the individuals and corporations that are out to just make as much money as they can just for the sake of accumulating massive wealth. So they can create a system of the haves and have knots.

Latest posts

Back