Firewood Measuring Sticks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Philbert, this warning seems rather ridiculous: . . .
Lawyers. . . .

Very good review and pics, Philbert. Looks like an interesting idea. But I think this "stick" might encourage someone to cut wood without a helper to pre-mark the cuts.
That's up to the user. It does not prevent anyone from cutting with a buddy. Even when I have cut with dozens of people around (e.g. GTGs or charity firewood cutting events), we each marked our own cuts. Sometimes I have worked with a buddy to pick up the wood that the other person cuts, or to stage logs onto a saw buck to keep the actual cutting time 'up'.

What I like about this measuring tool is that I don't have to use a lumber crayon (or spray paint), a separate measuring stick to put down (and misplace), repetitively turn the saw sideways to measure with the bar, etc., along with the convenience factors noted. If you prefer to measure and mark first, the videos attached to the manufacturers' websites show how to mark using saw kerfs, before returning to cut all the way through.

Philbert

Wonder if that would melt the fiberglass rod?

Philbert
Yes, I'll bet it easily could if the exhaust gases were right on it. I've seen guys drill holes in Stihl MS 361 mufflers straight out, a saw that begs for muff mods. Even the shark gill mods on the sides of the muffler could produce hot exhaust gas that would hit that measuring stick if mounted on the left.

I made these a few years back to see if I would use them.

1. Magnet and threaded rod, adjusable. Not too great. Heavy, and rigid tube was prone flip off the magnet to bar if the end snagged brush.

2. Second version, larger magnet, and spring connecton epoxied at the base. Lighter, more forgiving of snags.

Overall, I don't use them much. Usually I jusgt eyeball. If important, I measure the first couple rounds, then my eye is recalibrated and away I go. But many years on the drafting board refined my ability to judge dimensions.

Attachments

• IMG_0202.JPG
    IMG_0202.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 74
I Modded Mine!

I really like the sleek, black finish, but I liked the reflective feature of their flat scrench more - makes it easier to find in a pile of sawdust or leaves. So I applied some reflective tape that I had in the shop:
IMG_6012.jpg
IMG_6010.jpg
I made these a few years back . . .
Yeah, the design is pretty simple for the fixed length model. Part of what makes this model work is the rare earth magnet, which the manufacturer says has a 50 pound rating, combined with a very lightweight rod (hollow aluminum on the Accu-Stick, and fiberglass on the Woodcutter's Helper). It's easy to see how any guide that sticks out could get snagged by brush. I would expect to use this in a cleared area, with a saw buck, at a log pile, etc.

Philbert

I also just mostly use the saw bar. I'm usually cutting up a fair sized windfall where it lays, so taking the next step sideways down the tree by firstly turning the saw sideways & resting it on the tree has become sort of a natural movement. Once you replant your feet, eye up your saw blade reference mark to where it hits the tree, then turn the saw back around & start cutting. Goes pretty quick.

Depends on your situation though. If cutting on a pile of logs & moving around on it quite a bit, I could see where this would come in handy. Doesn't happen that often, but I do some of that once in a while too - hmmmm....

I just use an old broom handle. I have it cut to length of 20" (perfect size for my woodstove) and put it in my left hand, place against log, look, grab saw with both hands and go. No reason to complicate this with fancy contraptions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Philbert, this warning seems rather ridiculous:

Be careful and aware that the tool can get very hot during use and after you remove it from the chainsaw! Always wear safety gloves when removing this tool from your chainsaw to avoid getting burned or picking up a hot tool. Excessive heat can also be avoided by using this tool for only saw marking and removing when a visual sight mark on the log or wood has been established.

I do not see how this is possible with normal chain saw cutting. My bar never gets really hot unless I run out of bar oil or the oil pump clogs up and regardless, I do not see how that much heat could be transferred to the Accu-Stick. Any comments on this?

Dull chain? Dull chain can make the bar really hot, enough to burn your hand if you touch it right after a cut. Even normal cutting can cause a fair amount of heat on the bar especially in long cuts.

Wow, if I want precise I use a modified tape measure ( to stick on end of log) and a lumber crayon in YELLOW. Works amazing. Take 20 seconds and mark the whole log and then cut away. Works great on the bigger logs. Smaller stuff I just eyeball. I don't want to cut through a bigger log more than I have to. small stuff if it's too long I just throw it back in the saw buck. No big deal.

Very good review and pics, Philbert. Looks like an interesting idea. But I think this "stick" might encourage someone to cut wood without a helper to pre-mark the cuts. Cutting solo is not a good practice. So I'm wondering if this product is creating a worse habit than the problem it's solving.

Why? I work alone quite often. As far as length, after a few weeks of cutting wood you'll get +- 1" without measuring.

Why? I work alone quite often. As far as length, after a few weeks of cutting wood you'll get +- 1" without measuring.

+1.

'Helper' - what's that?

:)

When I'm heading to the woods, I do tell someone exactly where I'm going, and for how long. But I'm pretty well always going alone.

I have been using a magnetic pick up tool. 2.99
Funny thing is that I have a variety of those around my shop, but your post reminded me that I can now use my Accu-Stick as a pick-up tool on steroids (50# rated pull). More than enough to pick up a dropped scrench, or to find a bar nut in a pile of chips! Talk about multi-tasking!

I wonder if it will help me find nails in logs . . . .?

Philbert

EDIT: I just used it to find a .325 pre-set that dropped on the floor and rolled under a cabinet. Save!!!

Funny thing is that I have a variety of those around my shop, but your post reminded me that I can now use my Accu-Stick as a pick-up tool on steroids (50# rated pull). More than enough to pick up a dropped scrench, or to find a bar nut in a pile of chips! Talk about multi-tasking!

I wonder if it will help me find nails in logs . . . .?

Philbert

I use a stud finder for that.. seems to work pretty good!

Latest posts

Back