Firewood Measuring Sticks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a Mingo Marker this past summer and I like it. There was a bit of a learning curve with it along with some paint sprayed where it was not needed...operator error. With my 69 year old bod I really enjoy having a reason to put down the saw for a few minutes before continuing with the bucking. I also do not have calibrated eyeballs so I need help with measuring the size of the blocks I cut. I am not in any big hurry to get the wood cut since I only am cutting for myself.:chainsaw::havingarest:

The mingo is fast ,right on even the curvy never straight hedge
As fast as you can walk beside the log it will be marked
But it is hard on even the pro saws I have
They never get idle
like using you bar or a rod to measure with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, you might look at it this way. This past year I worked with a tree company and collected their big logs at job sites and hauled it to my firewood drop site. They wanted to know if they could cut some to length for me. I said, "Sure, amigos. Cut the rounds all between 16" and 18" in length. Comprende?"

The next load I picked up ranged anywhere from 6" to 28". And, the cross sections of the logs were usually shaped like trapezoids or parallelograms.

Maybe you need to buy them some Accu-Sticks?

Philbert
That and perhaps a lesson on chain sharpening so that both sides of the chain are equally sharp. Some of those side angles were over 30 degrees off the vertical. I gave up splitting several of these logs until I cut them square and saved the scrap wedges for kindling. That made the short logs even shorter, of course.

I just use an old broom handle. I have it cut to length of 20" (perfect size for my woodstove) and put it in my left hand, place against log, look, grab saw with both hands and go. No reason to complicate this with fancy contraptions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Same here. I dtried the mounted ones, flopping saw back and forth, pre marking. Pre marking does not work as one has to constantly make adjustments when coming to crotches limbs, bend in log, etc.

My stick is a 16" section of 1/2 or 3/4" pvc pipe. light, white and easy to find when you need it. I cut several at a time and carry spares. Don't waste a lot of time looking for a lost one.

+1.

'Helper' - what's that?

:)

When I'm heading to the woods, I do tell someone exactly where I'm going, and for how long. But I'm pretty well always going alone.

Samed here except there is noone left at home to tell. I have a cell phone with me but it is useless (no service out there) and just signed up with a "panic buttong" outfit - also useless out there. I havve some friends that will come looking but by the time they think it is necessary it will be too late. At my age, dying with a saw in my hand and log on top of me is a "good thing". Beats being warehoused in an old folks home.

. . . I cut them square and saved the scrap wedges for kindling.
Short wood burns. It just does not stack as pretty.
I keep short pieces in produce boxes from the warehouse clubs, or Rubbermaid style totes.

If I was selling firewood, I would be more picky about the exact length and appearance. For me personally, I want the wood to stack reasonably well, and not bee too big for my fireplace insert.

Philbert

Beer is not permitted while cutting LOL Oddlyt while I worked in Germany there was a beer vending machine in the lunch room.. also a case or 3 was in the server room as it was always kept quite cool!

I was in Germany for 6 years (2 tours1962-70). Got addicted to warm german beer. By the time I left, the GI bars were serving cold beer but had an imersion heater to put in the mug for those who liked it warm. .

Several years ago I did a DIY one a magnet ( Bought of Fleabay) & a length of GRP tube 8mm in dia. Magnet epoxied to end of tube, with length marking & different coloured tape/paint rings at the different lengths, as with a good few of unusual bits of kit It grew a pair of legs & walked off one day I hope the Bu**er that walked of with it finds it useful :dumb2:

Short wood burns. It just does not stack as pretty.
I keep short pieces in produce boxes from the warehouse clubs, or Rubbermaid style totes.

If I was selling firewood, I would be more picky about the exact length and appearance. For me personally, I want the wood to stack reasonably well, and not bee too big for my fireplace insert.

Philbert
The owner of my drop site property only burns short wood. His stove is a top loader and gobbles it up like popcorn. So, he gets every piece of short wood that I have left over after I cut all my logs the same length. It's a fabulous arrangement, but his outside woodpile is always just a random collection, not really a stack, and he usually just carries the wood inside using a recycling bin. Regardless, his stove burns hotter than a $2 pistol.

As said if your saw has a front exiting muffler the alu tube could get hot, also if your saw is not fitted with dawg's the saw pulling itself into the wood will clatter into the measuring stick
Maybe those guys would want to place the magnetic stick on the other side of the guide bar?

Philbert

The magnet stick is OK, but it does not work well for me. I buy several bright colored 25' tapes and modify them to about 8' then I rivet a larger hook on the end. I take a felt marker and mark with two colors a 18'' sequence and another for 16''. For logs in the 4'' diameter I guess, but for larger logs I mark with some weathered drywall up to 6 cuts. After cutting a few 18'' rounds I can compare my free cuts with the measured cuts. I try to go through a whole pile of wood marking as many cuts as possible and then do not have to stop and start so often. Often I can run a haft tank of gas before having to stop and mark more. thanks

The magnet stick is OK, but it does not work well for me. I buy several bright colored 25' tapes and modify them to about 8' then I rivet a larger hook on the end. I take a felt marker and mark with two colors a 18'' sequence and another for 16''. For logs in the 4'' diameter I guess, but for larger logs I mark with some weathered drywall up to 6 cuts. After cutting a few 18'' rounds I can compare my free cuts with the measured cuts. I try to go through a whole pile of wood marking as many cuts as possible and then do not have to stop and start so often. Often I can run a haft tank of gas before having to stop and mark more. thanks
Your system is similar to what the loggers use around here for longer lengths. They cut their logs 8.0' to 9.o' before loading them onto the flatbed, marking first with a spray can of paint. Most of their sales go into making pallets, but they save a few half-price uglies now and then for me. When I buy logs from them, I can then divide them all into five lengths for firewood and have practically no waste. Occasionally I can get six out. A visual sighting for measuring is usually all that I need -- that and my bar on the saw.

I should comment that one time they dropped a saw on a paint spray can in the truck bed and the can blew up. I suddenly earned a $20 clean up job on that saw along with a few beers.

Back