Firewood Pet Peeves.You know you want to vent...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...the nerve of you trashy wood cutters thinking you can socialize with a white collar worker.

Yeah, I get some funny looks when I roll into the parking lot of a major telecom, full of BMWs, etc., for my white collar engineering job....

...in my beat up Nissan with a load of big rounds weighing it down.

And get out in my chinos and polo shirt. :D

I pick up wood on the way to work, and it gets loaded with a big grapple, so it's usually a pretty heavy load. Funny - I've never had any stolen from the truck. :clap:

What's worse is when they see me raiding the loading dock for pallets or cable spools. :hmm3grin2orange:

I've got a blank check from the building manager to haul away any of that stuff.

I guess I'm just a low-life! :D

I'm with ya. I am a trainer at our building. Usually roll in in my 1998 saturn with no power steering. On the days when I bring the truck it goes home with empty pallets to stack on, or burn in the bonfire pit.

I was given a green light to trim the dead wood out of the back wood lot, and am just looking for time to do so. the MS290 is going to stretch her leggs and let'er rip. I thought about taking time off from work to do the work. (Paid of course) I am sure that that woud get some looks rollin in with the pickup and a trailer. Splash on em... I'm warm and am working on my second gallon of heating fuel (Read 50:1 mix for the Stihl, 24:1 for the 026)

I think the thing that has pi$$ed me off the most in my brief career is the few customers who seem to look down at me like I'm some sort 2nd class citizen who must be desperate for money if I'm selling firewood.

I've had that to. Then they call me for a bid of a tree job. Sometimes I use my car to bid jobs. I pull up in m BMW 3301 and there jaws drop. One guy told me I have never seen a wood cutter drive a BMW. I told him that I don't do it for free. I have responded to ads about cutting up big trees that have fell. When they just want them cut up and left I'll take my car. You should see the look o there face when an 088 with a 36" bar comes out of the trunk. Kind of funny.

Scott

yes, he was rude. If he was a regular client and demanding I would consider firing him. Some times you do need to let some clients go. Some client are like milk - they go sour.

If he is a potential new client I would let him go. Not worth it in the long run.
Just my two cent opinion of 25 years working with the public.

They go on the prefered customer list. Prefer not to do business with.

Scott

Everything I deliver is stacked. A lot of times it's around the back of the house. Please out of respect pick up the 500 piles of dog crap. I don't want to smell it the rest of the day on my shoes or dolly tires. I did a small tree job in a back yard a couple years ago. I actually had to rake a path to drag brush. Have you ever raked dog crap? It sucks.

Scott

Everything I deliver is stacked. A lot of times it's around the back of the house. Please out of respect pick up the 500 piles of dog crap. I don't want to smell it the rest of the day on my shoes or dolly tires. I did a small tree job in a back yard a couple years ago. I actually had to rake a path to drag brush. Have you ever raked dog crap? It sucks.

Scott

No I dump a load of chips and spread them out problem solved:laugh:

Ohhhhh hell no ain't happening why did you even say that:jawdrop:

Cause it has happened to me when I split with a hydraulic in high school. I have a funny story about something like that. My dad,brother,and I were butchering hogs. They were on the trailer. It has a divider gate. When we wanted to shoot another one we would separate one to the back of the trailer. Dad would shoot it on the trailer. When you shoot a hog you have about 5-8 seconds to hook it in the mouth with the steel hook and jerk it out of the trailer to cut it's throat after that it starts kicking and flopping. My brother went to grab it and missed. When he went back at it again the hog started kicking and flopping. It kicked the steel hook and sent the handle into his boys. I grabbed the hog by the ears and jerked it off the trailer. Dad cut it's throat and my brother is doubled over against the side of the trailer holding himself. I laugh my butt off. He had his azz kicked by a dead hog.

Scott

Cause it has happened to me when I split with a hydraulic in high school. I have a funny story about something like that. My dad,brother,and I were butchering hogs. They were on the trailer. It has a divider gate. When we wanted to shoot another one we would separate one to the back of the trailer. Dad would shoot it on the trailer. When you shoot a hog you have about 5-8 seconds to hook it in the mouth with the steel hook and jerk it out of the trailer to cut it's throat after that it starts kicking and flopping. My brother went to grab it and missed. When he went back at it again the hog started kicking and flopping. It kicked the steel hook and sent the handle into his boys. I grabbed the hog by the ears and jerked it off the trailer. Dad cut it's throat and my brother is doubled over against the side of the trailer holding himself. I laugh my butt off. He had his azz kicked by a dead hog.

Scott
:laugh: That was funny for you until brother :buttkick: you right?

What really pissssssssssssses me off is when they call and tell you they need a load, I ask when they need it by and the responce is "Well we just threw in the last stick". Suns a _itches. :angrysoapbox:

What really pissssssssssssses me off is when they call and tell you they need a load, I ask when they need it by and the responce is "Well we just threw in the last stick". Suns a _itches. :angrysoapbox:

Well all ya got to do is cut split it up and deliver and stack it so
whats the big deal? Can you get it out to me by around 4 I get
off work at 3:30 so I can meet you there with a check! Get those!

Well all ya got to do is cut split it up and deliver and stack it so
whats the big deal? Can you get it out to me by around 4 I get
off work at 3:30 so I can meet you there with a check! Get those!

Oh and always when it the best weather conditions, high of 20 with 5 inches of snow.

Had a guy call for a 'load' back in September but he wouldn't be ready for it until mid October: "Just give me a call then" Nope, it don't work that way "You call me when you are ready". Haven't heard from him since.

Harry K

Harry, He just wanted to lock in a price without any commitment. They don't seem to think this is a problem for you since it isn't for them.

I'm going to go with the most annoying part of it is the cusomer that is 'short' or wants to renegotiate after it is stacked/delivered. I got to the point that I dont unload till its paid for. Regulars aren't so bad about it, others need a Hickory Handle taken to'em.

A rocket launched split to the jewels ? Ouch, that will leave a mark.

The best one we done was a long time ago got to this guys house and he was treehuggy he had a driveway 200 ft long in the middle of nowhere and it wasnt plowed!!!! (apx 10" snow) I told the guy hope that he had a sled to get the wood from the road before the county came by; the guy i was with said we will make it. 2 wheel drive F250 76 edition pullin a trailer with 2 cords! WE straped the tire chains on drove up the driveway NO WAY TO TURN AROUND !!! HE had stuff everywhere! unloaded the trailer disconected it turned the truck around hooked the trailer back up and never came back again

Back