Firewood Pet Peeves.You know you want to vent...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last week I had a call from this guy from the "city" wanted a cord of firewood. Wanted the "perfect wood". Had to be split in quarters not just halves for some reason, even the small stuff. Didn't want to pay over $150 and on and on. He had a whole list of requirements. I told him if he was that picky maybe he needed to look elsewhere as I am backed up now with orders.

I just don't need the hassle. I sold over 19 cords so far this year and havn't had a complaint yet. Don't need to start now.

Last week I had a call from this guy from the "city" wanted a cord of firewood. Wanted the "perfect wood". Had to be split in quarters not just halves for some reason, even the small stuff. Didn't want to pay over $150 and on and on. He had a whole list of requirements. I told him if he was that picky maybe he needed to look elsewhere as I am backed up now with orders.

I just don't need the hassle. I sold over 19 cords so far this year and havn't had a complaint yet. Don't need to start now.

I'll bet $10 his neighbor just got a face cord stacked and delivered; so he looks out his window and wants to get the same so the neighbor doesn't outdo him :rolleyes:

Pet Peeves

Overhearing a conversation from another firewood guy telling somebody that "The rest of them are a bunch of crooks, I have some I just cut for half of what they are getting for their precious firewood." I noticed his truck on the way in and it was loaded with green Elm and Cataulpa. It was a nice size to go in the stove but burning through the limbs with a dul chain couldn't have kiln dried it that quick. He looked like he needed the money and had earned every nickel, so I was polite and didn't say a word.

I guess if someone wants "perfect" wood, maybe they should call the vendor that stocks some of our local convienince stores with the small bundles of wood (not quite an armful!) for $7-$10. That must work out to $500/cord!
I'll even go cut some of that wood with my "perfect" 036!

I guess if someone wants "perfect" wood, maybe they should call the vendor that stocks some of our local convienince stores with the small bundles of wood (not quite an armful!) for $7-$10. That must work out to $500/cord!
I'll even go cut some of that wood with my "perfect" 036!

I have a gazillion tons of perfect wood :hmm3grin2orange: Pics coming soon
all unsplit though:cry:

Here is another one for you. Some clown called me last night at 10:30.ON A SUNDAY NIGHT.
I dont know about you, but calling that late on a Sunday night?Just for firewood?I try and remember to turn off my cell phone when I go to bed, but last night left it in my pants pocket over the chair by the bed. I had gone to bed around 9, I get up at 4:30.
Man was I ticked, but tried to sound reasonable. He even asked if it was to late to deliver that same night!Seems he ran out of wood and wanted me to run it on over there.

Yeah, but at least you could smile when you went back to bed knowing that the jerk ran out of wood and was sitting there in a cold house. Probably getting chewed out by his wife for running out of wood besides. :cheers:

Here is another one for you. Some clown called me last night at 10:30.ON A SUNDAY NIGHT.
I dont know about you, but calling that late on a Sunday night?Just for firewood?I try and remember to turn off my cell phone when I go to bed, but last night left it in my pants pocket over the chair by the bed. I had gone to bed around 9, I get up at 4:30.
Man was I ticked, but tried to sound reasonable. He even asked if it was to late to deliver that same night!Seems he ran out of wood and wanted me to run it on over there.

When I first read this, I thought that you had been "punked". But, sadly, now I realize that some people are just that stupid. Mankind is definitely in jeopardy. :cry:

Neighbor/friend/relative: "What in the world are you gonna do with all that wood?"

Me: "What in the world are you gonna due without any wood?"

This happened a week ago, for the record I am a software developer and the only one you'll see walk into my place of work with a Carhartt jacket on with mud and wood chips stuck to it ;-)

Guy at work: "You really think burning wood saves you money?"

Me: "What do you spend per heating season on average, we'll assume Nov to March here."

Guy at work: "I'd say on average $1,450. What do you spend getting wood?"

Me: "This year, $200 - $250 including a new chain for my chainsaw. And clutch cover for a crappy Poulan."

Guy at work: "Yeah right! You had to buy all that!"

Me: "Uh-huh, and it already has paid for itself a year ago, which reminds me, time to buy more toys :clap:. I'd be spending a lot more than $1,450 to keep my house at 72Fish."

Guy at work: *blank stare*

Me: "Heh" <walking away>

Just as well I did not show him a picture of my eight month old, sitting next to my Stihl 310 with his hand on it. Which reminds me, I need to find that pic and make it my PC's background at work :p

My pet peeve I guess to stay on topic, is people instantly thinking I am an idiot for heating with wood. In the professional environment I work in, I think I've put a reason together why people act like that. Let me sum it up: "Hehehe! That idiot breaks his back hauling wood to heat his house, when he could just use a gas furnace and save his time and effort! hehe! What an idiot!"

I guess all our responses could be: "Hehe, you're paying for which gas/oil company executive to go on vacation where again?!? hehe!"

LOL, sorry could not resist sharing the above. Only got down to 34F last night, was supposed to go lower - but it was nice looking at the thermostat on the way down (71F) and opening the firebox to see three hickory logs sitting on top of embers starting to catch. Threw some pine on top, time to get a shower and head off to work :)

Tes

This happened a week ago, for the record I am a software developer and the only one you'll see walk into my place of work with a Carhartt jacket on with mud and wood chips stuck to it ;-)

Guy at work: "You really think burning wood saves you money?"

Me: "What do you spend per heating season on average, we'll assume Nov to March here."

Guy at work: "I'd say on average $1,450. What do you spend getting wood?"

Me: "This year, $200 - $250 including a new chain for my chainsaw. And clutch cover for a crappy Poulan."

Guy at work: "Yeah right! You had to buy all that!"

Me: "Uh-huh, and it already has paid for itself a year ago, which reminds me, time to buy more toys :clap:. I'd be spending a lot more than $1,450 to keep my house at 72Fish."

Guy at work: *blank stare*

Me: "Heh" <walking away>

Just as well I did not show him a picture of my eight month old, sitting next to my Stihl 310 with his hand on it. Which reminds me, I need to find that pic and make it my PC's background at work :p

My pet peeve I guess to stay on topic, is people instantly thinking I am an idiot for heating with wood. In the professional environment I work in, I think I've put a reason together why people act like that. Let me sum it up: "Hehehe! That idiot breaks his back hauling wood to heat his house, when he could just use a gas furnace and save his time and effort! hehe! What an idiot!"

I guess all our responses could be: "Hehe, you're paying for which gas/oil company executive to go on vacation where again?!? hehe!"

LOL, sorry could not resist sharing the above. Only got down to 34F last night, was supposed to go lower - but it was nice looking at the thermostat on the way down (71F) and opening the firebox to see three hickory logs sitting on top of embers starting to catch. Threw some pine on top, time to get a shower and head off to work :)

Tes
Yup I will stay warm and I get paid to haul it home:cheers: Now to
build a wood fired generator hmmmmmmm I like free no matter how it is
written:laugh:

Yup I will stay warm and I get paid to haul it home:cheers: Now to
build a wood fired generator hmmmmmmm I like free no matter how it is
written:laugh:

Bro inlaw is building a sawmill, atm using diesel engine to spin the blade but they have an old steam tractor boiler sitting there. I suggested they hook it up in tandem (use either), now you got me athinking using it not for running the blade but for electricity generation for the rest of the mill instead of pulling from the grid... hmmmmm :)

Tes

Right on Tes

I'm with you Tes. Work in a professional office also (an architectectual engineering firm). Have had the same conversations. Park my muddy Jeep right next to their cars and love it when it rains. I have been heating with wood for a long time (wood insert first, now an owb) and every year someone asks why. Well everyone on here knows the answer to that, but now that I am pushing 50 and those who I work with who are also pushing 50 are having health issues, I feel its really worth it. I may not be able to do what I did when I was 18, but I know I can do more than them. I love the time and effort I put into gethering my wood supply each year. It is also funny to see their reaction when I shake their hands; they always comment about how rough my hands are. They will never understand.

My final thought about firewood and those of us that burn it for heat. "Those who can do------do. Those who can't, or choose not to, _itch about it and make laws governing those who "Can do".:popcorn:

Only 1 Pet Peeve

My biggest pet peeve is when I get firewood that is cut crooked by others. Since I split by hand, its a P.I.T.A. to try and split a crooked piece of wood on the chopping block. Also, I do my splitting in the winter when there is usually snow and ice. It just makes it much more difficult.

Okay, I guess I have another one. It's when there is a piece cut way too long to split by hand. 21" or less works for me. :sword:

My biggest peave is; I have too much to split it seems
the more I split the bigger my stockpile of unsplit is!
I fact it has grown a tree or two since deciding I will split
all the resting stockpiles I have! I have til the winters end
to get it done but it keeps nagging at me and seems like
attaining light speed would be easier!

Latest posts

Back