Firewood Pet Peeves.You know you want to vent...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys I got some good laughs out of your post's. Now dont lie, you know you dont mind doing christmas pictures, it's the inlaw lunch you disliked. And the nerve of you trashy wood cutters thinking you can socialize with a white collar worker. It's tough work (cutting/splitting wood) and some people make it very tough ( the customers) but it gets in your blood and hard to shake it. Hang in there and enjoy it and let the crap roll like water off a duck's back. And I havent heard the term sh/t kickers for shoes in a long time, believe it or not I think that term comes from farmers who kick piles of dried or drying cow manure to spread it out as fertilizer. I could b/tch andmoan to guys I'm just tired of doing it and you guys are too funny. :popcorn:

I hate it when my wife sticks a 20" log into the side loader of the wood stove (18" maybe 19" max to get the door shut) and calls me 30 minutes later after half of it is on fire to get it out.

Last edited:
showing up with a load ,start unloading, customer says i'm alittle short can i catch you next week? sure, i'll have your wood at my house. funny how they can come up with the money then

Man, I have to second that one! I met a friend of my wifes last year. We stopped by their house, and I was introduced to her husband. We sat and chatted for a bit while the wives gushed over something in the other room. He asked me what I do for a living, i told him what I did and added that I sell firewood in the winter when my other work slows down.Silence.....
All I got out of him after that was one or two word replies to my end of the conversation.Later he told his wife that he didnt realize that we were,"that type of people"
Shoot, my wifes a school teacher, we both have college degrees, and I have a great business doing well. What type are we, anyway?:censored:

Yer a wood hick just like me.:clap:

I hate the random pieces that are a few inches too long or short. Or the ones that are just too ugly. Drives me nuts seeing the things that either too long sticking out of the pile or shaped so funny the only place to put them is on top of the pile.

Guess that's why I don't stack anymore.:)

Man, I have to second that one! I met a friend of my wifes last year. We stopped by their house, and I was introduced to her husband. We sat and chatted for a bit while the wives gushed over something in the other room. He asked me what I do for a living, i told him what I did and added that I sell firewood in the winter when my other work slows down.Silence.....
All I got out of him after that was one or two word replies to my end of the conversation.Later he told his wife that he didnt realize that we were,"that type of people"
Shoot, my wifes a school teacher, we both have college degrees, and I have a great business doing well. What type are we, anyway?:censored:

I have no time for that kind of snobby behaviour, that is just crap.
A man should be judged on who he is not what he does.

What type are we, anyway?:censored:

From the posts of yours that I have read avalancher you are the exact type of person who I would love to have as a friend. Sadly far to many people think they are above those that do all the work they feel to good to do.

At the end of the day we all pull our pants on one leg at a time.

From the posts of yours that I have read avalancher you are the exact type of person who I would love to have as a friend. Sadly far to many people think they are above those that do all the work they feel to good to do.

Technically, we pull our pants off both legs at once at the end of the day... depending on technique it may be the belt and drop, the belt drop and step, or perhaps the belt, pull, wiggle, pull, call the wife..pull some more... (wet snug denim is a btch... but riding the motorcycle and havin a torrential down pour is unavoidable.

My biggest rant is the person who pulls out infront of you in such a hurry, and then is 5mph under the speedo limmy..

If you would like to read more rants, check out

http://theconstantcomplainer.com/

My brother in law started it not too long ago, and if we all voice our opinions here.. you can feel free to check that one out.

My other rants are people who borrow money to go to school, not like the profession that they chose, and then yell at me because I am calling them in the AM asking them to uphold their contract.. and they YELL AT ME.. ya guys.. I am a bill collecter. sorry

I am definitely better than avalancher, I would NEVER climb trees for firewood...nevermind, its a long story and a closed thread...ha ha

I'm not one to brag but to set up this story I have to ,,, a little. My operation is impressive, 42'x84' shop, 26'x84' mill building, and 18'x52' processor building. When a customer pulls into my drive it's ALL in his face right at the gate. 3000 cord wood pile out back.

I open my yard to the public on Saturdays for pickup. Last winter a customer pulls in ,I load him up, he #####es about the price, and then procedes to ask me,,,,,,, "so you do this on weekends for a little extra beer $$$$ huh?"
I said, "yeah ,, I invested close to $1M in this facilty so morons like you can come pick up a cord of wood once a year so I could make some extra beer money!"

I have a HUGE customer base amd have been at it 21 years. I don't need to put up with morons like this! Believe it or not even after that verbal abuse he has been back several times. Really makes you wonder.

Last edited:

I really love meeting snobs like this. I just start pushing their buttons, so it's not long before they're not sure if they are really all that happy with their rung on the ladder of life. What always takes them down is that I am my own boss, and they have to answer to somebody. They have to ASK for a day off, or if they can leave early. The hidden truth is that they need to feel above someone, because there are people above them who are calling their shots.

My motto is this: It's not the size of the ship, it's whether or not I'm the Captain.

Last edited:
I'm not one to brag but to set up this story I have to ,,, a little. My operation is impressive, 42'x84' shop, 26'x84' mill building, and 18'x52' processor building. When a customer pulls into my drive it's ALL in his face right at the gate. 3000 cord wood pile out back.

I open my yard to the public on Saturdays for pickup. Last winter a customer pulls in ,I load him up, he #####es about the price, and then procedes to ask me,,,,,,, "so you do this on weekends for a little extra beer $$$$ huh?"
I said, "yeah ,, I invested close to $1M in this facilty so morons like you can come pick up a cord of wood once a year so I could make some extra beer money!"

I have a HUGE customer base amd have been at it 21 years. I don't need to put up with morons like this! Believe it or not even after that verbal abuse he has been back several times. Really makes you wonder.

Makes you wonder what some people did with the brain our Good Lord gave them.:confused:

Better than him ? I would think so , you didn't seem to judge him.

I guess it would be the price it goes for. It is a lot of work for so little return that I usually don't bother with it. I have a bunch of it unsplit that I am going to go ahead and split up somewhere around fifteen cords probably more so when it is really cold I will get busy because it is taking up brush space.I may sell it I may burn it but I hopefully will get it all split this year. I have to go cut another in the AM about 46" dbh white oak I have cut and hauled so many home this year until it will be spring before I get all of it split but wth I will do it when I can.

One of my peaves is cutting with or cleaning up after people who don't understand firewood. You know -the old, "I already cut it up for you, just come get it." Crooked cuts, 12" some 20" and anywhere in between. And the worst - I was helping a buddy that insisted on limbing and leaving 4-5" stubs - "awww - ya just cut those off later" ..... "uuuhhhh - Dude! cut 'em flush and be done with it...." Good guy, so I hated to say much.

Spotlights

Why does DST have to end at the end of October? I get home from work @ 4:30 (I have a Govt job) and only have about an hour or so to work outside before dark. Barely enough time to go grab a trailer load of logs or split for awhile but not both. I guess I should consider myself lucky that I live on the far W side of EST. I pine for the summer days when I have till 10:00 PM to work outdoors. I need to invest in some outdoor spotlights I guess.

I have 4 on the house pointed at the woodpile and will tell you it's awesome. Not only an I work in the evenings this time of year, I can tun them on at 3AM to admire the 14 cords I've yet to tap into this Fall. Get a set of Halogens with a stand and extension cord if you can. :chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back