Firewood Pet Peeves.You know you want to vent...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wife gets no choice, took the fuse out of the drier plug! Clothes go on the rack that sit at the top of the stair... now she has realised heat rises and our cast iron open balistrade allows the washing to dry over night. Used to put the rack infront of the fire, but hated coming into the living room full of washing!

Our Elec bill halved since we started this!
I will be sure to show her this post! My dream is to one day get a electric bill less than a hundred bucks.

The good, the bad, the ugly.

First, the ugly. The Greenies whining about AlGore's global warming that drive their "needed" SUV's, take big buck trips to East BumF__, then have the b__ls to tell me that they just are too busy to bother with wood heat. But they do have a wood stove that they have to empty once a week . Tears up some.:angry2:

The Bad: our neighbor tree huggers leaving their "ancient" virgin forest a mess of blowdowns, diseased species, and skinny runt trees fighting for air and sun. Trees are Bamis. "You shouldn't cut trees." Ripe for once of those California mega fires. :mad:

The Good and Great and Greater : our local friends in their 80's still cooking with their own harvested firewood, and heating their place 100% with a single wood stove. He just had a hip done, complaining that he just couldn't use that Husky Rancher anymore--too heavy ; now uses a 353 since it's "lighter". When I get whiny about the weather, or some pain, or a PITA blowdown, I think about them cutting, and splitting and stacking and humping that wood year after year without a complaint. :cheers: :cheers:

Last edited:
Right now the middle toe (one finger/toe salute digit if you could pull it off) on my right foot went from purple last night to dark purple today from a log falling out of a stack on my arm all the way down to my bare foot bringing wood in.

The inside of my left knee has a crescent shaped dark red tatoo that went from red to blister to draining fluid to a hard 2 and a half inch scab from the door of stove going into my bare knee a couple of nights ago.

No gain without the pain. Love to burn. :angry2: :greenchainsaw:

people who complain about the firewood length when they didn't say a peep about it over the phone...

in the end firewood is firewood

If I could just get my wife to hang laundry on a rack by the stove once in awhile, maybe I could get a $43.00 electric bill! Its all we had when I was a kid for drying laundry in the winter.
the wife?Nope.No way. She will throw one pair of socks in the dryer if they are the ones that she wants to wear.....:censored: :censored: :censored:
Our electric bill is still $150.00 a month.

get yourself a coin operated dryer... :cheers:

Firewood Pet Peeves

My pet peeves, The three guys who live in the house beside me (all are 20 years younger than me), who think I'm crazy because i cut,haul,split and stack 3.5 to 4 cords of wood every year for heat. They have not once offered to help but think they are moving into my place when/if the power ever goes out.
The same 3 guys complain when they get there $450.00 to $500.00 per month gas bill in the winter and mine is $50.00 to $60.00, drive's them nuts. I've told them how to fix the problem but they want no part of wood burning.

WHen you deliver wood and they say"geese there is alot of bark on that wood!" Isnt there supposed to be bark on wood? Sometimes it doesnt fall off. Somone 2 1/2 hours away each way calls and wants wood delivered, I tell them 170 for a face cord, 80 if they came and picked it up. Im to high on delivery, but they dont want to pick it up either? So my time isnt worth anything? I figure 5 hours drive time and .50 cents a mile, if that is too expensive, why dont they ocme and pick it up. My other pet peeve is who the heck needs wood 2.5 hours away? I get tons of calls from downtown chicago, dont they have any wood there????????

Hurrah hurrah my pump to engine coupler finally came
in today I rushed out and got it going just before dark!
So now I can split on the wood piles some more and come
up with some more peaves lol!

Hurrah hurrah my pump to engine coupler finally came
in today I rushed out and got it going just before dark!
So now I can split on the wood piles some more and come
up with some more peaves lol!

Funny how when working we can come up with some more gripes, isnt it?
We had a saying in the Navy,"A #####ing sailor is a happy sailor"
I think that applies to just about anything. It wouldnt be much fun if we couldnt complain a bit once in awhile.
I just wish my wife would actually listen to some of the #####ing once in awhile, all I get is, "Uh huh, uh, yep":)

The homeowner that doesnt plow or blow out their driveway. after 12 inches of snow. I love having to shovel out their driveway before I cAn get the truck into the driveway. OH yeah and then you either have to shovel their whole driveway(to move the trruck closer) or just a path for yourself and carry it around back. No tip, no thank you. If I werent 1 hour and 1/2 away from home w/the wood already on the truck I would have said forget about it.

The homeowner that doesnt plow or blow out their driveway. after 12 inches of snow. I love having to shovel out their driveway before I cAn get the truck into the driveway. OH yeah and then you either have to shovel their whole driveway(to move the trruck closer) or just a path for yourself and carry it around back. No tip, no thank you. If I werent 1 hour and 1/2 away from home w/the wood already on the truck I would have said forget about it.

I would have said forget it anyway, no matter how far I drove. That or demanded cash up front for the snow removal.

I think the thing that has pi$$ed me off the most in my brief career is the few customers who seem to look down at me like I'm some sort 2nd class citizen who must be desperate for money if I'm selling firewood. Truth is I walked away from the very type job (white collar) most of them probably have because it made me miserable...like they are. My wife and I do very well financially and the money from wood is just gravy. They main reason I started selling it is that it gives me a legitimate excuse to cut and split more. Fortunately these people are the exception.

+200000

I don`t see it alot being in montana but recently we get the yuppie ***holes moving up wanting to change the way we live, I see alot of city slickers looking down on me and my big dirty truck when I deliver, mind you my big dirty truck is a 2008 megacab diesel with a longbed conversion and lots of mods and their usually driving a minivan or a hybrid.

I also have one guy who picks up his own and always talks about living in the middle of nowhere and being so far from civilization, forget the fact i`ve got a nice little rancher on 77 acres that I own outright and he`s in a 2 bedroom rental condo...

sorry to vent but holy hell does it irritate me, wish they`d all go back to kommiefornia and piss up a rope.

sorry to vent but holy hell does it irritate me, wish they`d all go back to kommiefornia and piss up a rope.

We all got to put up with that crap Brian, not just in Cali phony a lol. I live in the middle of yuppydom and every morning heading out to work at the end of my driveway herds of em are walking their dogs to snoop into everyone's business. They give me the "how can you live here" look when I have been here for 30 years and they are brand new as I load my truck.

Yesterday I get a call from a regular customer and he has a tree down in his back yard. Give him a price on a big spread mulberry, 30 inch trunk, and a 30" sidewalk access thru bushes (shrubs in yuppyspeak). Gave him a price...."seems awful high".....me-"it'd be a lot more in busy season"...."ohhh, ok,...but can you do it now?

We load up gear after putting off another job and when we get there the wife says they changed their minds and they are gonna wait. We don't finish the other job because of 2 hours lost time, 4 man hours.

Then I had a call the night before for firewood. They just had a cord delivered at $190 and it did not burn. They were so indignant they made the company wheelbarrow it all the way around the house out and give them their money back.

I said my wood was 250$ trailer load and 1 and a quarter cord. "That is an awful lot but ahhh ok". I specifically told them that it was deliver and dump and collect. Also told them I would bring a small pile over for them to try out with kindling to avert prior guy's prob. "We trust you just bring it".

We loaded it up and I called yesterday to deliver. "You know that seems like an awful lot, but bring it". Me- "Ok I'll be right over....make the check out and where do we back up and drop it?"

"You mean you are not going to take it in back (maybe 100 wbarrow trips) for that high price?"

Sale over....now I got a load of splits on my dump trailer and cannot use it for tree work. You gotta love em , they are so adorable. And each and every one of the male of this species used to be a tree person and take down big trees prior to becoming president of their Widget company.

Seems like all the BEST trees are in an impossible spot to get close to. I have a HUGE white oak blow down in a swampy area of the woods. Probably 200' of truck sinking mud to get to it.
I've got a very large dead locust at the bottom of a steep hill with a creek directly on the other side.
Last but not least is one of the biggest dead elms I've ever seen leaning over a large creek. I think the lean is to much to pull it the other way.
There's tons of other wood to be had but I WANT these 3 bad!

Have to get a quad or soemthign similar. Drive it in anywher with the spliter then trailer it out. Never been stoped from getting any wood. have ot have a winch caus elets face it you get stuck soemtimes. Tired dont work get the tracked system for 4k.
Matt

Back