Firewood saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see a lot of recommendations for 261 and not very many for 362 . Seems like a 362 would have extra power when needed. I guess the 261 seems like the best for limbing. I not going to be able to afford 2 saws. Was hoping for something more concrete on the 362. Maybe the the 362 is going away as stihl doesn't list it as one of their lineups this year.
If money is a consideration I would include the Dolmar and Echo brand into the options. There are excelent Dolmar = Makita dealers here on this site.
The model of choice would be 5105.

With Echo I would Check out the 501.

The 562 is just fine if you run good fresh fuel and at least 40:1 red armor or stihl hd super. Husqvarna oil isn't as good. You gotta buy it for the warranty though. I've seen way too many good 562's out there to let one shops experience interfere with my opinion of them.
If you mainly cut firewood then go with the 362 or 562.

Between those 2 I'd say 261. I've owned just a 60cc saw before and a hot 50cc will do damn near what a 60cc will do. But I'm a huge fan of the 50/70cc plan of any brand.
Best cheap pro saw out there is still the cs590. Don't limit yourself to 2 brands. Parts and dealer will play into it as well.
Good luck!

P.s. it never stops at "one" saw lol

I have a 2014 562 (ported) that so far has been flawless, if I could only have one saw I would prolly keep this one, I know others have had problems but this one has been fantastic. A saw builder friend (that I trust) has a 362 and has been through 3 carbs and says it's one of worst saws sthil made, and he is a sthil guy. I know other people with 261's that really like them, so if I had to choose between those 2 I would pick the 261.

Between those 2 I'd say 261. I've owned just a 60cc saw before and a hot 50cc will do damn near what a 60cc will do. But I'm a huge fan of the 50/70cc plan of any brand.
Best cheap pro saw out there is still the cs590. Don't limit yourself to 2 brands. Parts and dealer will play into it as well.
Good luck!

P.s. it never stops at "one" saw lol
Yep!:)

I have a 2014 562 (ported) that so far has been flawless, if I could only have one saw I would prolly keep this one, I know others have had problems but this one has been fantastic. A saw builder friend (that I trust) has a 362 and has been through 3 carbs and says it's one of worst saws sthil made, and he is a sthil guy. I know other people with 261's that really like them, so if I had to choose between those 2 I would pick the 261.

What were the carb issues? OEM carbs of knock offs? I sell quite a few of the 362's and have never had a complaint. Many here really like the saw. It is always good to hear the good and bad!

What were the carb issues? OEM carbs of knock offs? I sell quite a few of the 362's and have never had a complaint. Many here really like the saw. It is always good to hear the good and bad!

I'm not sure what the issues were, they were replaced under warranty so I would assume they were oem carbs, very well could have been an isolated incident. Heard a lot of complaints about the 661 also but the one my son has is great no problems yet.

Echo with 5 year warranty and for 60 more extended to 8 don't look bad 399.00 plus 10% off. Is this a good saw? Echo 590
More or less excelent reputation here. But as always no light without shadow.

I understand many here prefer the 50 & 70 cc combo, personally I prefer the 40 & 60cc combo.

What I would definately recomend is buying a very good quality small saw, because it will see by far more use than any macho bin saw. That is also the reason I prefer a 40cc over 50cc. Because at the end of the day you will still have energy to lift a smaller saw.

My choice would be Dolmar 420=Makita 4300, Husqvarna 543, Echo 420, Efco 4400, Hitachi cs40ea or Stihl 241.

The larger saw can be bought later on the second hand market.

Echo cs590 as others have said and don't look back. Or the home depot rental makita 6421 if you can scrounge one.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I like husqvarna has a 4 year warranty vs stihl 2 year warranty.
But has anyone had them stand behind their warranty?

I like husqvarna has a 4 year warranty vs stihl 2 year warranty.
But has anyone had them stand behind their warranty?

Can't speak on Husqvarna, no Husqvarna dealers around here. The warranty process is quick and painless with Stihl, I complete a report, carb settings correct, fuel mix correct, chain not uber dull, trimmer guard present etc.. make a call and the tech center gives me the go ahead, parts ordered next day delivery and customer has a saw/trimmer/blower etc back in a week. Commercial clients get loaners if requested. Stihl will often give us latitude when it comes to a warranty request.

I see a lot of recommendations for 261 and not very many for 362 . Seems like a 362 would have extra power when needed. I guess the 261 seems like the best for limbing. I not going to be able to afford 2 saws. Was hoping for something more concrete on the 362. Maybe the the 362 is going away as stihl doesn't list it as one of their lineups this year.
Just my thoughts but IMO the 261 is at the top of its class versus the 362 is not. 261 is a lot lighter and more nimble with not much less power than the 362.

If I was a Stihl man I'd have a 261 and then jump to a 4 something.

Was in your same position a few months ago. I had an MS250 and had nothing but issues for too long. Got rid of it for a 261cm and never looked back. Love the new saw.

I bought a 261 as it's 1.5 lbs lighter and only has .7 hp less than the 362. The 261 is deceivingly light and powerful. I have some very thick trees to fell and buck so I'll also end up buying a bigger saw here soon, but honestly, a 261 will do most of what I would use a saw for and if I only needed something for cutting up firewood, it would definitely be a 261.

Always amazed that trail clearing done by hobbyfirewood guys require the ultimate of pro saws. For me a Husqvarna 545 or 555 or Stihl 251 or 271 would be more than sufficient. And I am quite sure that I would only be at max. a few minutesb ehind at the end of the day.

I bought an ms361 in 2006. It was my only saw up until 2012 or so and even now it's my go to firewood saw. I spent less than $600 for it more than ten years ago and a conservative estimate would be that I averaged 3 cord per year which I'm guessing qualifies me as a "hobby firewood guy". I don't know what a homeowner saw would have cost back then but let's say $300. If you do the math it works out to something less than $10 per cord for the privilege of using what was at the time "the ultimate of pro saws". It is definitely more powerful, lighter, smoother, and more reliable than its homeowner equivalent, and the longer I keep it the better the value becomes! As of now that saw shows no sign of letting up and I have no intention of letting it go! When I bought that saw I saw it as an investment and I would say it has been a good one. Point being some people just want more than sufficient for their $$$.

PS. Plus I really enjoy running it! :chainsaw:

Was in your same position a few months ago. I had an MS250 and had nothing but issues for too long. Got rid of it for a 261cm and never looked back. Love the new saw.
If you don't mind me asking what was wrong with the 250, I still use one to his day...

Latest posts

Back