First Aid Kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First aid kit is a great idea and arguably a necessity if you spend time in the woods with chainsaws. I have a kit I keep in my truck that has been very useful on several occasions. The commonly used items are things like band aids (all shapes & sizes), Advil, antibiotic ointment, tweezers, and some type of hand sanitizer. That covers 99% of my first aid needs. Now for the remaining 1% I have eight 4x4 gauze pads, six 5x9 pads, two rolls of Kling, two rolls of medical tape, a roll of vet wrap, two triangular bandages, a Sam splint, EMT scissors, a tourniquet, and a Quik clot bandage. So far the 1% supplies have seen very little use.

keeping a first aid kit handy is a very good idea. especially when we go out to cut firewood. You never know how quickly an accident can happen, and having the proper medical supplies can save a life. Some training on how to deal with situations is good too. Sometimes accidents is a little worst than chopping the end off a digit can happen, and immediate attention is needed! Recently, at work, a normal work day was shattered when a friend of mine lost his arm just below the shoulder! Yes it can happen, and very quickly! If it wasn't for some quick cool headed thinking, who took his belt off and wrapped the stump off tight to stop the bleeding, my friend would have surely died right there on the floor in front of us all! He survived, and actually made it home xmas eve from the hospital, but being prepared on how to deal with a situation like that mite save the life of your buddy, or maybe your own!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, I don't doubt you guys one bit. The instructor was probably just saying that for liability, or didn't want to cover it, I guess. Just didn't know when to apply one and when not too. I'll have to find a decent book and look into it more. Again, thanks for all the replies. Definitely set me straight on the tourniquet.
That instructor was blowing smoke up your butt. That may have been what was taught a while ago, but now we have a large amount of evidence that shows little to no detrimental effect to a patient when a tourniquet is applied and removed within six hours. Just do yourself a favor and practice using it. You'll know its tight enough when you lose your pulse distal to the tourniquet. (place it above your elbow and check for a pulse in your wrist.) It hurts, but it beats the alternative.

Latest posts

Back