First Real Kickback

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Daily cleaning with Povidone-Iodine Solution and Hydrogen Peroxide and occasional slathering with Neomycin. Seems to have worked well.

Ian

Good to hear. Maybe you need some of those chain link gloves like the shark photographers use in the ocean. :) Steel mesh or something. Make some gloves out of your chaps! You don't wear them much from what I have read! Just kidding!

Ah yes Ian, the Magic Finger Wound (MFW):confused: .
There's insurance for that very special finger you know.....State Farm or something .
You take care.
Now you know why we deep northerners cut only in winter :dizzy: :dizzy:

I tried cooking up some hot banana pepper butter from an internet recipe. I don't think it turned out. Too thin. Went over to a friend's place yesterday to watch the fireworks but my guts were in the spin cycle the whole time. I spent more time in his bathroom than was ideal..:dizzy: I was fairly miserable.

Ian

Dumb Is As Dumb Does??

Well, since you guys have told about some of your worst moments, I guess I will, too.

About 10 years ago I was cutting a red oak that had died after the power company dug up its roots to put in the feed to my house. This area was pretty well clear cut about 120 years ago and most of the trees are only about 16" to 18" at the base and most don't have any limbs below about 30', this one was about 70' tall. As is typical of most of my trees, it only had about 3 or 4 big branches near the top. It fell right where it was supposed to and never even came close to the power lines.

I trimmed all of the little stuff off of the bigger branches and was starting to cut the big branches off when it rolled. I still don't have any idea of why it rolled, it looked to perfectly stable on two of the large branches, but roll, it did. One of the big branches caught me and THREW me to the ground, it didn't just knock me over, it really slammed me into the ground on my back. The saw came down across my stomach, right across my bell button. I had to lay there for a few minutes getting my breath back and then I pulled my sweat shirt to see how large the cut across my stomach was. I was lucky, there were saw teeth marks all across my stomach but apparently the chain stopped as soon as I released the handle, the brake never engaged.

All of those little teeth marks were bleeding, but not like I had expected to find them. The saw was an old Husky that had lots of idle problems, you let the handle go and it would sometimes stop the chain and other times it would only slow to a crawl. The clutch just wasn't reliable, coupled with an erratic idle and it was a lot more dangerous than I had thought at the time.

I was lucky that time, the idle worked and the clutch disengaged just like it's supposed to. If it hadn't, I would probably have bled out right there in front of the house.

So, make sure your idle is set properly and that the clutch disengages quickly, I sure do now.

2 weeks later... I'm healing much faster than I thought possible.

2weeks.jpg

When they finish healing, you can buy this:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/esnQwVZOrUU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/esnQwVZOrUU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

LOL.... those are great if you have that extra $4000 laying around with nothing to do and a proper shop that is temperature controlled. My barn would not be the place for that Cadillac of Tablesaws.

Incidentally, I tried to run the 372 for the first time yesterday and decided I need to wait another month. It was quite painful at times. :cry:

You'd never have guessed that I did that to my fingers now unless I brought it to your attention. They're still all messed up inside though. Deep scar tissue on the second finger that feels like I have a dried pea between my finger and everything I touch and is really sensitive. If I inadvertently let anything with a sharp edge scrape across the front of that finger... WOW. The ring finger seems to have healed well across the tip of the finger but the scar as it goes down the side of the nail is red and extremely tender. I keep a band-aid on it for padding.

Ian

Last edited:
Good to see you are recovering well! I burned my hand last year pretty bad on hot oil wile cooking:monkey: I waited more than a day to go to the hospital I know I have free health care being Canada and all,and they freaked at emergency in the hospital,took me in right Away the nurse said your a tuff sob to wait a day!So they sent me to the burn unit at Foothills I only went for 4 day's{every second day} they poked the blister and cut the dead skin away the doc said. This is her words not mine I have never seen anyone heel so fast as you!I was healed up completely in three weeks for second degree burns.

Had a reality check today. I was cutting up a maple for firewood, it was 90ºF out and I was whooped. I let my bar tip get a little too close to a previously cut round while limbing and guess what. Yep, tip hits in that upper quadrant and kicks back. The chain break worked like a charm thankfully, but I was lucky in that it kicked back instead of up, shoving the rear handle into my thigh.

Ya know where my brain bucket and chaps were? Yep.. in the back of the truck. I had opted for safety glasses and ear plugs instead.

I'm glad I can post this here instead of up in the Injuries forum. Be careful out there guys!

Ian
Ian. I'm glad that your OK. When I started cutting fire wood when I was 15, 27 years ago, My Father made it Very Very Clear to me, When I felt I was getting tired, it was time to Quit. That is when somthing happens, when you don't quit when you need too. Bruce.

Well, since you guys have told about some of your worst moments, I guess I will, too.

About 10 years ago I was cutting a red oak that had died after the power company dug up its roots to put in the feed to my house. This area was pretty well clear cut about 120 years ago and most of the trees are only about 16" to 18" at the base and most don't have any limbs below about 30', this one was about 70' tall. As is typical of most of my trees, it only had about 3 or 4 big branches near the top. It fell right where it was supposed to and never even came close to the power lines.

I trimmed all of the little stuff off of the bigger branches and was starting to cut the big branches off when it rolled. I still don't have any idea of why it rolled, it looked to perfectly stable on two of the large branches, but roll, it did. One of the big branches caught me and THREW me to the ground, it didn't just knock me over, it really slammed me into the ground on my back. The saw came down across my stomach, right across my bell button. I had to lay there for a few minutes getting my breath back and then I pulled my sweat shirt to see how large the cut across my stomach was. I was lucky, there were saw teeth marks all across my stomach but apparently the chain stopped as soon as I released the handle, the brake never engaged.

All of those little teeth marks were bleeding, but not like I had expected to find them. The saw was an old Husky that had lots of idle problems, you let the handle go and it would sometimes stop the chain and other times it would only slow to a crawl. The clutch just wasn't reliable, coupled with an erratic idle and it was a lot more dangerous than I had thought at the time.

I was lucky that time, the idle worked and the clutch disengaged just like it's supposed to. If it hadn't, I would probably have bled out right there in front of the house.

So, make sure your idle is set properly and that the clutch disengages quickly, I sure do now.

Depending on how much wood I cut a year, I've always stripped my saws right down, Fan housing covers right off, Pulled clutch, and clutch drum, and rim sprocket, clean out the cooling fins, with compressed air, Grease, and inspect the roller bearing for the clutch, and reasemble the saw. I've done this before every season, to make positively sure every thing is going to work the way it is supposed to. If I cut lots more wood, than useual, I repeat 2 or more times in a season. Bruce.

Back