First Real Kickback

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you are safe, and likely fully alert.....

I shut down the saw, threw it in the car, and drove straight home (slowly).
As far as I know, the tree's still standing, with the last 1/2" still uncut. I figured a monumental act of stupidity like that deserved a day or two of quiet reflection on the error of my ways. If I hadn't been waving a saw around like an idiot, I wouldn't have a need for chaps, but now that I know I'm capable of a lapse in judgment, I can't afford to be lax with the PPE again.

Guns are easier than saws. If you never point a gun at anything you aren't willing to destroy, you can get away with other types of stupidity around firearms.
I suppose the cardinal rule of sawing is to have the brake on at all times when not cutting? But that rule still can't save people like Bruce's friend Sawmouth who lose control while cutting.

Some of the guys at work have pegged me "Saw" for the moment. Yea, the ol fingers are tender. I'm back at work this week after a few days of short term disability but wished I had taken another week. My eyes usually end up out on stalks at least twice a day when I do something that the fingers oppose. We work 10 hr days and by hour 6 they're throbbin' pretty good.

Ian

Now a question: Would a 361 have known to self-engage the brake in this instance?:greenchainsaw:

the 361 would have pushed the tree over WHILE it was stuck lol.

Some of the guys at work have pegged me "Saw" for the moment.

one would hope to have their name associated with a better form of flattery. although, an ian moment does have a certain ring to it....

Oh Man that's nasty Ian! Sheesh, I started on the first page when the saw kicked back, now on too the fingers! You my friend need a chill pill (probably already gave you those) and yes, It's not your week! Glad your able too joke about it at any rate.
Last night while stacking some rounds I grabbed a large round of maple and threw it into line with some others without quite getting my middle finger out of there! Yeow!!!! smashed the tip of it good between two of them. You wanna hear some howling, I was in full throat and jumping around shaking my hand. It was numb all night and now the nails going black but the feelings back! Must be a full moon coming on? :cheers:

Hey Ian, just read about your little accident and just wanted to wish you a speedy recovery. All the best... Colin.

What were you doing cutting wood when its 90º?:jawdrop: Its showing 98º on my outside thermometer in the shade, and I'm trying to figure out how to get out and get beer without getting cooked!:givebeer: I might be nuts:dizzy: , but I'm not crazy enough to cut wood in this weather.

BTW, I'm glad you're uninjured.:clap:

Some of us cut wood for a living,no matter if it's 98 degrees or 10 degrees..I fell a poplar tree a few months back that was close to four feet in diameter.It had a double trunk that came down and joined into one massive stump.I made my felling cut about chest high because of the chain link fence against the stump.We took that section of the fence down to cut the stump on down and here's what happened..
I was using a MS660 with a 28 inch bar and skip chain.I was about halfway through the stump at full throttle when that guide bar tip hit some uncut wood inside the cut because the bar wouldn't reach through.This sent the saw straight back into my stomach.It knocked the wind out of me and knocked me on the ground like I wasn't even there.It can happen.Quick,fast and in a hurry.There is no protective gear for that.

:ices_rofl:
was thinking about collecting the foam peanuts they use for packing boxes. They come in nice colors sometimes.

Get well ,you will be back to your normal routine before you know it.
Oh and dont drink to much beer with those meds lol. :cheers:

Last edited:
Actually, I've used one of those and for 2" limbs it works well. It's a homeowner gimmick but it does work as advertised. I used it to hack down some shrubs at my mom's house.

Ian

2 weeks later... I'm healing much faster than I thought possible.

2weeks.jpg

Hopefully... that one bad finger still makes my eyeballs stand out on stalks if I even think about bumping it on something and I can't grip anything with it.. no pressure allowed or it screams at me in a loud obnoxious voice.

Ian

Ok, I've read all 7 pages of this thread and I was doing fine until that last picture. hahahaha lol Great Googa Mooga!

Surprisingly, fingers heal rather quickly. Quicker than other body parts. Parts that see a lot of use.

Regardless, I'm glad you only cut into the pads. Losing a piece at a joint or some other place would make you have to 'learn to live' without it. Pads heal. Even the chipped bone. Just like looking for a used chainsaw. (It's all there). hahaha

Happy Healin!

Ian, your fingers are looking much better!:clap: Maybe by the time cooler weather is here you'll be able to run the chainsaw again...with lots of safety gear!:)

Another take on this...those of you who are diabetic (like me) need to watch out if you are out cutting and your sugar gets low..I had a close call last year, sort of B.F'ed and had kickback. Too hot to cut now tho...

Latest posts

Back