First Real Kickback

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm really happy that you are 100% OK. Thankfully someone was watching out for you and didn't want you hurt.

Have a couple (like 10) cold ones and keep telling yourself that the PPG doesn't do you much good resting in the truck.

Glad your well.

Hugenpoet

Getting my fix. What do you do for your fix when it's hot out? :)

Ian

i save up till the fall. then, after it gets cold out, i get the last six months worth of 'fix' on!:chainsaw:

right now:
too hot to do anything. too humid to sweat. firewood is the last thing on my mind. ahhh... to be in the pnw where it is always 50 deg and raining!!!:clap:

I'm thinking about building a fire in the stove! But I'd rather have this chilly weather than hot anyday, except the desert scenes on tv kind of look nice right now. I came home very very cold yesterday. Today is our "nice" day and then we return to our rain and drizzle.
Too bad you are not out here. Visiting that is...:)

Glad your OK brother, "Gimpy" is never a good nick name.
:cheers:

Had a reality check today. I was cutting up a maple for firewood, it was 90ºF out and I was whooped. I let my bar tip get a little too close to a previously cut round while limbing and guess what. Yep, tip hits in that upper quadrant and kicks back. The chain break worked like a charm thankfully, but I was lucky in that it kicked back instead of up, shoving the rear handle into my thigh.

Ya know where my brain bucket and chaps were? Yep.. in the back of the truck. I had opted for safety glasses and ear plugs instead.

I'm glad I can post this here instead of up in the Injuries forum. Be careful out there guys!

Ian

Thank you for sharing that experience with us.....it makes me realize how easly it can happen ....even to the best..

Glad you're OK Ian. I saw a kick back 3 weeks ago. A Cal Fire inmate crew was clearing poison oak and broom along the bottom of our pasture at the property line. The sawyer got caught on the barbwire fence. The chain along the bottom of the bar grabbed the wire and nearly pulled the saw out of his hands. BTW I took some pics of several of their chains right after they sharpened them. I'll look for them and post here.

Glad to hear your okay Ian, lucky it was just a bruise this time it easily could have gone very bad.

You bought that hat and those chaps for a reason and it wasn't to pad the back of the seat in the truck. :buttkick:

Don't make me post those videos again!! :laugh:

:cheers:

Apparently this isn't my month. Just spent the last 3 hrs in the ER. I was cutting some stickers for newly milled boards on the table saw and let my fingers get into the back of the blade. Made ground beef of the pads of the first two fingers and got deep enough to chip the bone on the third. Came out pretty lucky considering. Naturally the splitter was stowed so it wasn't there to stand between my fingers and the blade. :dizzy: I feel like an idiot at the moment. Later when the lortabs kick in I'll feel like pudding instead.. I need to heed my own advice it appears.

Be careful out there guys!

Ian

Last edited:
Damn Lad, watch yourself!!!!!!!!
Glad you got off light,WATCH YOURSELF!!!!!
Rob
I'm gonna' feel guilty if you hurt yourself with a saw I sell you.
Maybe rubber dawgs and plastic full comp!

Last edited:
I need something with more RPM! Vroom! I got blood splatters on that last sticker... Hope it doesn't stain the maple...LOL

Ian

Apparently this isn't my month. Just spent the last 3 hrs in the ER. I was cutting some stickers for newly milled boards on the table saw and let my fingers get into the back of the blade. Made ground beef of the pads of the first two fingers and got deep enough to chip the bone on the third. Came out pretty lucky considering. Naturally the splitter was stowed so it wasn't there to stand between my fingers and the blade. :dizzy: I feel like an idiot at the moment. Later when the lortabs kick in I'll feel like pudding instead.. I need to heed my own advice it appears.

Ian

One of my dad's friends was a carpenter and contractor all of his life, and apparently had no problems until AFTER he retired. That's when he ran his fingers through the joiner.:jawdrop:

There is no point in giving you hell about this, and you've learned to not be complacent, I'm sure. We all need to be aware that our power tools are a bit dangerous.

BTW, Stihl makes this cute little saw, battery operated with round chain:hmm3grin2orange:

Sounds like Ian is like me, when it rains, it pours. Be safe man! Better days always come at the right time.

YIKES! Be careful, Buddy! :jawdrop:

Safety scissors, a bar tip on all your chainsaws........

Maybe Hasbro makes a "Little Builder" table saw............:greenchainsaw:

Just kiddin, hope you heal up well and quickly!

Oh ya the above post applies to me as well.

Latest posts

Back