First Real Kickback

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking you should take up crocheting. The hook is not as sharp as a knitting needle, but you better wear eye protection as you still could put an eye out. Don't wrap the yarn around your neck and you should be ok. Everything is dangerous---everything!:eek: :eek: :eek:

I was thinking about collecting the foam peanuts they use for packing boxes. They come in nice colors sometimes.

Ian

First, the best in nurse's fashion, just for Slowp... then the horror show. Doc said I would be much improved in 2 or 3 months but the fingertips wouldn't be fully healed for a year or so. Don't open either "meat" if you've got a weak stomach. --Ian

Yikes! How can you even type up your posts with fingers like that! One-handed hunt-and-peck I guess?

Take care of those fingers!

Fingers have alot of nerves in them! Painful

You had a couple of close calls that will make you safer (based on your posts it seems you are capable of processing information) and perhaps helping others that you teach to be safer.

Bill

Fingers have a lot of nerves in them! Painful

You had a couple of close calls that will make you safer (based on your posts it seems you are capable of processing information) and perhaps helping others that you teach to be safer.

Bill

Yep... lots of nerves. I make sure the pain meds are taken before I change the bandages on that third finger. Getting the old off causes cold sweats and gritting of teeth if it's stuck at all. It really lets you know it's there.

This incident has me considering getting rid of all my woodworking stuff.

Ian

Apparently this isn't my month. Just spent the last 3 hrs in the ER. I was cutting some stickers for newly milled boards on the table saw and let my fingers get into the back of the blade. Made ground beef of the pads of the first two fingers and got deep enough to chip the bone on the third. Came out pretty lucky considering. Naturally the splitter was stowed so it wasn't there to stand between my fingers and the blade. :dizzy: I feel like an idiot at the moment. Later when the lortabs kick in I'll feel like pudding instead.. I need to heed my own advice it appears.

Ian
Dam man be careful!when I was a kid my dad chopped of a 1/4'' of his thumb on a table saw! I found the piece of thumb with the help of my rather large tracking cat all 22lbs of him. But the hospital said it was not worth it as it was too small, his thumb was a 1/4'' shorter than the other but no real damage done.It's funny when I think back that I used the cat to help find the tip of his thumb in the work shop.

Yikes! How can you even type up your posts with fingers like that! One-handed hunt-and-peck I guess?

Take care of those fingers!

Yeah, no more accidents, or we'll have to get you a wand that you hold in your mouth. (those are really slow to operate) Ian, I appreciate you sharing, man those pics made me think twice when I turn on the table saw...... You likely made all of us a bit more careful:jawdrop:

Jeeze, Ian, be careful.... you're going to hurt yourself:biggrinbounce2:

Seriously, don't ever let your guard down, man... its the only thing between you and disaster when operating equipment like this.

Get well soon...

I know that week or day you said it was in the 90's well I live in Madison Co. and I would have died in the woods,,,just way too hot for me then....
Take care,,and hope all goes good for ya....

Stones trow away frm me.....LOL!!!

Live in Union City...Take the underpass off Redhouse....Pretty cool someone close here.... Hope ya heal up fast,,maybe we can catch up and trow some chips when it gets cool weather....

Well, I had my "Ian moment" last night.
A friend had some 10-15' trees growing up against his summer home he needed removed. Heat was oppressive, so I didn't even put boots on, just went over there in shorts and running shoes. Took the little Husky, it would go through 2-3" of hardwood with a quick blip of the throttle. The last tree had some panes of glass stacked behind it, so I cut slowly and carefully, and of course pinched the saw.

I guess I started to stand up as I let go of the saw with my left hand, grabbed the tree and pushed it back to free the saw. The saw came loose with me holding it by the rear handle with the brake disengaged and the engine idling. As the saw swung down towards my leg, I tightened my grip to hold the bar up. This required using all my fingers to grip, including the one on the trigger. So now the bar is swinging towards my bare leg and I'm giving the saw throttle! I stopped 4-6" short of my leg, but still, YIKES!

Morals of the story:

1. No matter how hot and sweaty chaps might be, wearing a full leg cast for months after reconstructive surgery is much hotter.

2. When freeing a stuck saw, even if the whole tree only weighs 30lb, shut the saw off, or at least set the brake first.

3. If you find a bunch of window panes next to a tree you're falling, shut off the saw, put on some gloves, and pick up the damn glass and move it out of the way before cutting the tree.

Last edited:
Yikes!

:jawdrop: Glad you are safe, and likely fully alert.....:jawdrop:

Thanks for the reminder that even a small project can be dangerous, and requires our full attention.

Now a question: Would a 361 have known to self-engage the brake in this instance?:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back