Fiskars Splitting Axes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I Believe.

100_4128.JPG

pecan cut this week, so not dry at all. the pile on the left started out like the piece on the right. It took three mighty swings for the center split, then all went smoooooth. I also knocked out some smaller oak, hickory, and magnolia just to round things out.

only one fault - if I mis-hit, I mis-split.

fantastic.
<edit - autocensor didn't like mis-hit being one word....>

Cool

that pecan doesn't look like what I been busting...:D mine's all twisted and gnarly. That FSS wouldn't touch it. I like the looks of the short 7854. Been trying to talk myself into buying one.

that pecan doesn't look like what I been busting...:D mine's all twisted and gnarly. That FSS wouldn't touch it. I like the looks of the short 7854. Been trying to talk myself into buying one.

I got lucky. I spotted a group pruning up a huge plot of pecans (yea, that 18" slab is off a limb) and asked if I could cut off it. They told me to get all I wanted. Good wood, and I had my pick of the easy falls and straight growth.

I finally got my hands on the new Fiskars x27.

Its nice. Although I've never actually used the x25 super splitter, I see what you guys are talking about when you say the shorter 28" super splitter (x25) would be less tiring if you were swinging it all day.

I know this sounds obvious, but the x27 has a longer handle and that means it won't swing as easy or as fast as the 28" models.

I still think the x27 will swing easier than the "normal" 6lb & 8lb mauls that a lot of folks use. And that is why I'm pulling the trigger on the x27 (i.e. I'm buying it instead of an 8lb maul). I already have some lighter splitting tools (the Fiskars 7859 28" splitting axe and a regular single bit axe) that I will use for the easier splitting wood. What I'm looking for is something to go after the larger pieces, and i think the x27 will work just fine for me.

Sadly, the x27 didn't make it home with me tonight. Seems it was damaged during shipping (the clasp on the case was broken and the edge was dinged). I'm sure I could hammer or file it straight, and my splitter will eventually end up in that condition, but I simply didn't want to buy a brand new one in that condition. So...re-order and wait another week :(

Last edited:
No, I would grind it down, I could probably live with a 1/2" wider edge....LOL, but it still hurts the made the change to the worse IMO....:angry:
I am happy I have my FSS 7854, and I am planning to buy a back up one (while they still are in stock), for the future

the blade's wedge geometry is different, too - I do NOT like the new design's flat wedge, when compared to the 7854's winged design. I think the potential to have the blade stick in the wood went up dramatically, leaving the wood unsplit.

I am new to this site.
I found this site by doing some google research for the ultimate splitting maul to replace my old 8# maul that I've been using for years.
After reading through this thread, I went ahead and ordered my first Fiskars SS.
All I have to say is, all the hype you guys gave on this tool is true. I am a believer and totally devoted to this tool. I love it, it does make splitting wood fun and efficient. Thanks for all of your recommendations and reviews guys.

I am new to this site.
I found this site by doing some google research for the ultimate splitting maul to replace my old 8# maul that I've been using for years.
After reading through this thread, I went ahead and ordered my first Fiskars SS.
All I have to say is, all the hype you guys gave on this tool is true. I am a believer and totally devoted to this tool. I love it, it does make splitting wood fun and efficient. Thanks for all of your recommendations and reviews guys.

I am glad you found us too!:msp_smile:
Did you buy the brand new X25 alt X27, or did you go "Old school", with the Fiskars Super splitter #7584???

Good luck with you new "best friend", and do not cut your self on a bad spot if you bring it to "bed".....:ices_rofl:

Making an investment this spring for some new toys...I mean TOOLS. New chain saw, and gonna pull the trigger on a Fiskars X27. Cannot find any at any local hardware stores, none of them seem to have even heard of it. So, looks like I'll be buying it off of the internet. Need to replace my kindling hatchet too, gonna buy one of the Fiskars 14" jobbies. Have used them before, they cut great. Have NOT tried the larger Fiskars axes, so the X27 will be all new to me. But, I have not heard anything bad about their other splitters. Had a couple of people tell me they split as well as a 10lb maul, at half the weight. Works for me. I need the longer handle, at 6'3, so looks like the X27 if for me.

Making an investment this spring for some new toys...I mean TOOLS. New chain saw, and gonna pull the trigger on a Fiskars X27. Cannot find any at any local hardware stores, none of them seem to have even heard of it.

I received an email from Fiskars about the new x25 & x27. They expect them to be in stores in March, with the largest retailers being Sears and Ace Hardware.

I had my local Ace Hardware store order the x27. You are correct about the fact they have never heard of the new x25 or x27 (I had to go to 2 different Ace Hardwares before I finally got somebody competent enough to take my money).

Just found something that greatly improves the effectiveness of the Fiskars Super Split.

Just before you go out to split some wood for exercise, try to wash your hands. And find you have no water pressure.

For the second time this week.

Open the bulkhead to the basement to find it's not flooded this time (like it was Tuesday when I found the discharge for the sump pump had froze under 3' of snow), but instead a window had blown open allowing 4º air last night to settle by the pump, freezing the pressure sensor so it doesn't know to turn on.

Schlep down a milkhouse heater to warm it up.

Then go split wood. For some reason, I was really, really productive.

For me I like the extra length.I don't think that either one has an advantage or splits better, other than it is more comfortable. I am 5'10" and I get the X27,kids get the other two with the 28" handles.

Update to this. I split a bunch more today and I really like the X27 better. I like the extra reach when tipping rounds back up and even just splitting. Seems to be able to get a faster speed with it.

Update to this. I split a bunch more today and I really like the X27 better. I like the extra reach when tipping rounds back up and even just splitting. Seems to be able to get a faster speed with it.

That is what I was afraid of... oh well. I'll have to deal with my shorter one for the time being.

That is what I was afraid of... oh well. I'll have to deal with my shorter one for the time being.

Something tells me you might be able to work something out with AKKAMAAN on the SS 7854 if/when you ever do decide to get the x27. :msp_smile: He sounded like he might go out and buy another one of the older 28" models even though he already had one.

IMHO, there is a nice place for the shorter splitting tools because not all the wood you bust up is going to warrant swinging the larger handled x27. Let's face it, some wood out there can practically be busted with a claw hammer.

==IMHO, there is a nice place for the shorter splitting tools because not all the wood you bust up is going to warrant swinging the larger handled x27. Let's face it, some wood out there can practically be busted with a claw hammer.
I'm too cheap to buy two brand new tools that basically do the same thing. Now if I find a deal at a garage sale or something (not going to happen with the x27) all bets are off.

I'm going to try the shorter SS, just for the convenience of it. I already have the heavy hitters for the gnarly stuff.

Call me crazy but, with a longer handle the axe will hit harder and faster. Think of a small sledge hammer vs a long handle one. In fact I'll bet there is an engineer here somewhere who could do some fancy math and get the actual numbers ? I myself am too Stu-pid:msp_mellow: to figure that math stuff out.
By the way I have the shorter handle one I think it works great, don't know why but it does ! Probably going to get the X27 to check out the difference. I like my tools!!

Call me crazy but, with a longer handle the axe will hit harder and faster. Think of a small sledge hammer vs a long handle one. In fact I'll bet there is an engineer here somewhere who could do some fancy math and get the actual numbers ?
Just done with it! Will post a new thread about it shortly.
What I can say now.....Nothing comes out of an axe for free....you have put in the same energy as you get out.....If you get more "power" out of that longer handle, you have to work harder too, PERIOD!

I myself am too Stu-pid:msp_mellow: to figure that math stuff out.
By the way I have the shorter handle one I think it works great, don't know why but it does ! Probably going to get the X27 to check out the difference. I like my tools!!

Always good too try stuff out.....There is a reason why this 28" long works great for you.....In fact the taller (arm length) guy you are the less "power" advantage you will have from the 8" longer handle. The longer handle benefit, what the "power" concerns, a shorter arm guy more than a long arm guy.

What I can say now.....Nothing comes out of an axe for free....you have put in the same energy as you get out.....If you get more "power" out of that longer handle, you have to work harder too, PERIOD!

I think maybe this is wrong..

If you are swinging the shorter axe with "x" energy to achieve an axe head speed of "y".. lets say 200fps. With a longer handle, still swinging at "x" energy and achieving 200fps at the 28" point on the handle, the axe head is now 8 inches farther out in the arc, it HAS to travel faster to get there at the same time. So mass times velocity squared says the longer handle has more potential energy from the same swing..

How much more is where an engineer would come in handy..

I am not an engineer, but I know a lot of them.. oh, and I know a lot about swing speed vs club head speed...

It's a lot like helicopter rotors.. the reason they can only be "so long" is because rotor tip speeds and related stress grow exponentially with length at the same mast speeds.

Latest posts

Back