Fiskars Splitting Axes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think maybe this is wrong..

If you are swinging the shorter axe with "x" energy to achieve an axe head speed of "y".. lets say 200fps. With a longer handle, still swinging at "x" energy and achieving 200fps at the 28" point on the handle, the axe head is now 8 inches farther out in the arc, it HAS to travel faster to get there at the same time. So mass times velocity squared says the longer handle has more potential energy from the same swing..

You are assuming that a certain fixed energy input, will maintain the same angle velocity no matter what the length of handle it is....

That wont work, because the longer the handle, the more "resistance" it will be from MOMENT OF INERTIA...
Let us say you swing a 4.25lbs mass at a radius of 40" at 0.5PI rad /sec (90 degrees/sec).....

Do you think you can maintain that angle velocity with a radius of 80" (or what ever longer than 40"), with out adding more energy???

I think 40 to 80 inches may be a bit different then 28 to 36, but yes , it will take the same amount of energy to accelerate x weight to x speed. The mass that needs to be accelerated has not changed.

100 lbs on the end of a 8 to1 lever will apply twice as much lift as 100 lbs on the end of a 4 to 1 lever.. yes? and still only be 100lbs. It has to travel farther, but it's mechanical advantage is better.

But really it's moot, I AM going to buy a 36incher, and love my 28. :msp_biggrin:
In fact going out to tackle a few more 30" oak rounds now.. they seemed easier back when I bucked at 16" now at 20"... whew..

I suspect you have all read cjnspecial's writeup comparison.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=164012&highlight=fiskars

The physics do not lie. The longer handled x27 will go faster and produce more energy than the x25 if you can put the same amount of energy into it (AKKMAAN also did a nice job of talking about the new X heads being larger, yada, yada, yada).

Remember, the X27 will require more effort to swing. A smaller axe/splitter is easier to swing and that simply means it'll be easier to swing for long periods of time.

So, the 28" and the 36" splitters are different. If you've got some easy splitting wood, it'd be silly to swing the x27. At the same time, if you are trying to bust gnarly wood, it might mean fewer swings.

It's all a tradeoff. There are times where a camp axe is the right tool, same for the 28" and 36" splitters (as well as sledges and wedges). The reason I think the x27 is right for me is because I already have some tools to take on the easier wood and what I want is a heavier splitter to go after the harder stuff.

This discussion is similar to the ones folks always have about handguns and rifles. The final answer always ends up being "it depends on what you are comfortable with and what you need the tool to do." I'm just glad that Fiskars rolled out another option for us by creating the X27.

Didn't mean to start a pissin match. But I think some of my questions have been addressed. The Fiskers axes really do seem to work well and I think thats because they have put some thought and design engeenering into their products. Instead of a company just shapping a tool to "look" like it would split wood, big triangular shape with a sharp edge. AAAAAAAAAAAAA hit log----hit log hard----DDDDAAAA'

===How much more is where an engineer would come in handy..
===
I'm an engineer who actually works as an engineer. There are multiple things to consider here. I'll give you a bit more details later - my kid is hassling me to play Left for Dead II. A couple of considerations, though: nothing is free. there are force multipliers, but there are no energy multipliers. other thing is that head speed increases as shaft length increases, as long as the person swinging it can move their hands at roughly the same speed. finally, the longer the handle the more moment the axe head puts on the user (in other words, it is tougher to swing a longer shafted tool with the same head mass).

Last edited:
Fiskars7854 SS Axe

Personally I think the 2.5" cutting edge on the Fiskars 7854 is the big reason for it's success. Stepping up quite a bit on the power the Gransfors-Bruks splitting Maul also has a 2.5" cutting edge. This reduction in the area of the cutting edge allows for allot better penetration, as compared to the cheap Mexico, China brand models. Try this Gransfors-Bruks if you want a power house splitter. It works the best for me and I'm 6'2" in logging boots.

Gränsfors Bruks Splitting Maul at WesSpur

http://www.wesspur.com/knives-axes/axes.html
$155.00 Item # SAW806

Designed for splitting apart large chunks of wood. The Maul’s head is heavier and the cheek flare far wider behind the cutting edge compared with the Splitting Axes. The poll is designed for pounding on a splitting wedge. The axe has a 2 1/2” face and a 31” hickory handle and the head weighs 5 1/2 lb.

saw806-500.gif

I hate to spend that kind of money but there is a store just a few miles away from me that sells Gransfors Bruks and after handling one and then you ^ posting this I might try to get one. I received my fiskars 7854 today and it is just too short for me. I am 6' even and my favorite wood to burn is white oak and it is just not the right tool for my needs.

Personally I think the 2.5" cutting edge on the Fiskars 7854 is the big reason for it's success. Stepping up quite a bit on the power the Gransfors-Bruks splitting Maul also has a 2.5" cutting edge. This reduction in the area of the cutting edge allows for allot better penetration, as compared to the cheap Mexico, China brand models. Try this Gransfors-Bruks if you want a power house splitter. It works the best for me and I'm 6'2" in logging boots.

Gränsfors Bruks Splitting Maul at WesSpur

http://www.wesspur.com/knives-axes/axes.html
$155.00 Item # SAW806

Designed for splitting apart large chunks of wood. The Maul’s head is heavier and the cheek flare far wider behind the cutting edge compared with the Splitting Axes. The poll is designed for pounding on a splitting wedge. The axe has a 2 1/2” face and a 31” hickory handle and the head weighs 5 1/2 lb.

saw806-500.gif

I bought a lot of mauls and axes in the past that weren't worth keeeping. That looks like it could be a nice tool but before spending 155 clams I'd have to try 1 myself.
This winter I have been happy using the older Fiskers in most wood and grabbing the longer handled Monster for the now and then toughies. I want to go with the longer handled Fiskers when I think I found the best deal. The wood has been froze here but when it is thawed I could use more better forgiving help.

The x27 should be faster by a good bit. I have been a golf long driver for years. I have lots of drivers and can tell you I gain about 3fps with every inch of driver shaft I go over the 43.5 standard, even if the club heads are the same weight. I doubt it would be 3fps with the fiskars because the heads are heavy but it should still be a pretty good gain over the x25. I don't like the 28 inch fiskars. The handle is just too short for me. I will buy an x27 when I run across one.

I received my fiskars 7854 today and it is just too short for me.

It takes a bit of time to get used to them. Read some of the other threads for the proper overhead technique.

When I first tried the Pro Splitter (the lighter one), I swore it was the devil's work intended to take off toes. It was only because of the posts here I decided a year later to give it another try, and then upgraded to the 7854.

The x27 should be faster by a good bit. I have been a golf long driver for years. I have lots of drivers and can tell you I gain about 3fps with every inch of driver shaft I go over the 43.5 standard, even if the club heads are the same weight.

Maybe so, but it does take more effort to move the longer handled tools. Also, not every piece of wood requires the longest club in the bag.

Seems a lot of folks prefer the shorter 28" Fiskars because they can sling it around easier and thus get more done.

I've got the 28" splitting axe (not the super splitter, but the one with the 2.5lb head) and I can tell you that thing is easy to swing. Doesn't work well on the gnarly stuff, but it is mighty handy for a good deal of the wood I bust.

Picking my longer fiskars up from Ace later today. Can't wait to try it out. I passed the old one down to a much shorter co worker.

I just put in about an hour with my new X27.

I like it. It felt nice and comfortable. It doesn't take a muscle man to lift the way my Truper 12lb. splitting maul does (I can't swing that thing but just a few times before calling it quits).

I still think my 28" splitting axe and camping axe will get used, but I'm glad I opted for the longer x27 instead of the 28" super splitter.

A very nice tool.

I have both fiskars super splitters..have used both, and LIKE both tools! the longer handle is no different from the shorter (older) in that you must get used to the safe operating procedures. The short handle has its unique way to safely use without hurting your shins..(ask me how i know.) Its no different with the longer handle..maybe some people dont want to change again after using the short handle. Thats fine! I will use both and enjoy both. They both split wood amazingly well and have their place.

Either one is a fine tool id recommend to anybody who is considering them.

Just found this "interesting" clip about the new Fiskars X25 super splitter.

At the end of the day, no laboratory test is ever going to "prove" which splitter is "best" but it was interesting nonetheless.

[video=youtube;3ZXmLIgnvRE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZXmLIgnvRE[/video]

Thanks for posting that video, TN_WOOD.

I like the scientific tests. The more tests we do, the more we get closer to characterizing and quantifying what makes a "good" splitting axe.

:msp_thumbup: +1, Good conclusion TreePointer!!

Great video clip too! Thx TN_WOOD!!

Latest posts

Back