Fiskars Splitting Axes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
two questions.
1. anyone used the similar splitting axe sold at lowe's?

2. more importantly. has anyone used the fiskars on sassafras, black walnut, osage orange, etc.?

My buddy has the one from lowes, hasn't swung it since he got his SS. I have split a ton of black walnut, did fine, my brother has done some osage down in Texas, he loves his SS...

two questions.

2. more importantly. has anyone used the fiskars on sassafras, black walnut, osage orange, etc.?

1. no, ive only used various 8lb mauls, big monster mauls, and crap like that, fiskars is much better

2. sassafras and black walnut are both very easy woods to split by hand, if one gives u trouble, noodle cut into it a little bit, and try again
osage orange, thats another story... ive only ever split that with hydraulics, i dont think id want to try with a fiskars

Personally I think the 2.5" cutting edge on the Fiskars 7854 is the big reason for it's success. Stepping up quite a bit on the power the Gransfors-Bruks splitting Maul also has a 2.5" cutting edge. This reduction in the area of the cutting edge allows for allot better penetration, as compared to the cheap Mexico, China brand models. Try this Gransfors-Bruks if you want a power house splitter. It works the best for me and I'm 6'2" in logging boots.

Gränsfors Bruks Splitting Maul at WesSpur

Gränsfors Bruks Axes - Other Axes, Machetes, & Etc.
$155.00 Item # SAW806

Designed for splitting apart large chunks of wood. The Maul’s head is heavier and the cheek flare far wider behind the cutting edge compared with the Splitting Axes. The poll is designed for pounding on a splitting wedge. The axe has a 2 1/2” face and a 31” hickory handle and the head weighs 5 1/2 lb.

saw806-500.gif

I just ordered one of those as a gift for a friend, but I'm considering adding one to my own arsenal even though my Fiskars is performing extremely well. I've got a question that maybe someone can answer on the Gransford. Is it OK to pound that maul through with another sledge. Usually when you pound a wedge it's a hard steel pounding a softer steel but in this case it would be sledge to sledge pounding. Maybe that's something to avoid. I pound my fiskars through all the time but it's relatively cheap compared to the Gransford.

im looking to buy a new Fiskars Super Splitting axe but no store will carry it and i dont really want to buy it offline. Does anyone no any store that carrys them?

and also if anyone owns one i would like to hear what they think about them, ive heard that they work really good and i just want to make sure before i blow some money on them

any replys will be greatly appreciated

I've used a True Temper synthetic handle, 12lb all steel job, and the short handled Fiskars. I'm splitting mostly Live Oak, Madrone and Doug Fir. The Fiskars is superior in all aspects. I've ordered the long handled version as well.

two questions.

I've used it on walnut and it's great, but so is about anything else. I've also used it on osage and really did'nt work any better than a maul at making the first split, however, after the first split is made it works much better than a maul. really like it for black locust, does'nt get stuck just cuts it through. One reason it has trouble with hedge might be because I cut almost everything 2 foot long, but I use hydraulic power for hedge unless there is a bet or something.

Last edited:
One reason it has trouble with hedge might be because I cut almost everything 2 foot long

You do have a point! I know when I am cutting logs and getting ready to split. If there is a knot or looks like it is going to split hard,I will cut that piece shorter than usual. My stove doesn't mind that it is a bit shorter.:msp_biggrin:

where is a good cheap place to get a fiskars splitting axe at?i been looking in lowes and homedepot and they seem not to carry them for some reason.

You do have a point! I know when I am cutting logs and getting ready to split. If there is a knot or looks like it is going to split hard,I will cut that piece shorter than usual. My stove doesn't mind that it is a bit shorter.:msp_biggrin:

I sometimes do the same with with anything but hedge. Hedge goes directly to hydraulic splitter.

I just ordered one of those as a gift for a friend, but I'm considering adding one to my own arsenal even though my Fiskars is performing extremely well. I've got a question that maybe someone can answer on the Gransford. Is it OK to pound that maul through with another sledge. Usually when you pound a wedge it's a hard steel pounding a softer steel but in this case it would be sledge to sledge pounding. Maybe that's something to avoid. I pound my fiskars through all the time but it's relatively cheap compared to the Gransford.

Calling Gränsfors for Gransford at ArboristSite, is like swearing in the church....:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Last edited:
Is it OK to pound that maul through with another sledge. Usually when you pound a wedge it's a hard steel pounding a softer steel but in this case it would be sledge to sledge pounding. Maybe that's something to avoid. I pound my fiskars through all the time but it's relatively cheap compared to the Gransford.

If the head of a Gransfors Bruks product ever chips, cracks, etc. (just the head, not the handle) you take it or send it back where you got it and they send you a new one. They are 100% guaranteed. Then the dealer sends it back to Sweeden to Gransfors and the they take it out of the pay of the blacksmith who forged it. When you get the maul, or axe, look on the side of it and you will see the initials of the maker of the head. They demand excellence.

Gransfors-Bruks

You can drive on the backside (poll) of the Gransfors-Bruks Maul. Gransfors-Bruks includes with all there products a little book called "The Axe Book", where in it only there Maul and none of there axes are you allowed to have the poll driven on. The poll on the Maul is hardened differently than there axes.

ok thanks for the help fellows i will sure pick me one of them up

If you want to look at one, the Smoky Mt Knife Works just got a couple of the Gerber Super Splitters in. These are the 28" model with the 4 lb. head and are virtually identical to the Fiskars x25 super splitter. I think they were asking $47. In addition, SMKW had most all the other Gerber axes in stock (and a few Gransfors, Condors, and Wetterlings)

FWIW, I haven't seen the new 36" Fiskars x27 model anywhere. I got Ace Hardware to order mine.

If you want to look at one, the Smoky Mt Knife Works just got a couple of the Gerber Super Splitters in. These are the 28" model with the 4 lb. head and are virtually identical to the Fiskars x25 super splitter. I think they were asking $47. In addition, SMKW had most all the other Gerber axes in stock (and a few Gransfors, Condors, and Wetterlings)

FWIW, I haven't seen the new 36" Fiskars x27 model anywhere. I got Ace Hardware to order mine.

what'd it cost you. i can't even find the x27 on the Ace site.

Back